Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Lizard head Pass trail near Telluride CO

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 10:46 AM
gleeloyd

Bikes: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 mountain bike, Santa Cruz Stigmata gravel bike, Specialized Turbo Como SL 4.0 (wife's e-bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I've ridden DOWN from Lizard head pass back to Telluride several times. Wonderful ride, partly on the old Galloping Goose rail-trail. 24-26 miles I think. Only problem is having to recruit wives to ferry us up to the top first. I've wanted to rent an e-bike and ride to the top, then enjoy the decent. Just wondering it there would be enough juice left to get back. It's not all downhill back to town! Any thoughts from someone experienced with e-bikes (MTB).
Old 05-12-21, 05:11 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
A couple years ago, my wife and I rode from Breckenridge CO to the top of Vail Pass and back. I rode my Diverge and we rented an ebike for my wife. It was a Rad city step through. I didn't know if it would last the whole way, but thought at any point in time, she could coast or pedal on way or another to a point along the route with services and I could ride back to Breck, get the pickup and pick her up. It lasted the whole way. 50 miles. Of course she varied the pedal assist, so she was getting a decent workout.(She doesn't ride much) We were so impressed with the bike, that I bought her one just like it for Mother's day. So, if the bike you get is comparable to the bike she used, I feel pretty confident it will do the job, unless you don't plan to pedal going up the pass.
Old 05-13-21, 07:19 PM
gleeloyd

Bikes: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 mountain bike, Santa Cruz Stigmata gravel bike, Specialized Turbo Como SL 4.0 (wife's e-bike)

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing that! Yeah, for Mother's Day last week I bought my wife a new Specialized Turbo Como SL 4.0. It is amazing! I'm very impressed so far with the technology. We've got a trip planned for the Texas hill country in less than a month and plan to do a lot of riding. Same deal for us: I will be riding my Santa Cruz Stigmata and she on the new e-bike.
Old 05-21-21, 04:55 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by gleeloyd
We've got a trip planned for the Texas hill country in less than a month and plan to do a lot of riding. Same deal for us: I will be riding my Santa Cruz Stigmata and she on the new e-bike.
That should be fun! Wife and I went down to Fredericksburg for a few days a couple years ago. I needed some early miles while training for the Trans Am bike race and she was interested in the shops and wineries! Loved it down there! We really enjoyed Luckenbach also. I got in some good miles, but the chip seal roads and such got me on day 2. Going downhill and turning, I hit a patch of loose rock that had come from a driveway. It appeared the same as the chip seal. I went down with some good road rash. Chip seal road rash is a different beast. Pretty jagged. But awesome landscape. Do you have any routes planned? I went to one of the bike shops and they gave me some great routes on RWGPS.
Old 05-21-21, 05:20 AM
gleeloyd

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Fredericksburg is where we are staying! Thanks for the heads up on the surface conditions. Yes, I've got a few routes planned on RWGPS. I keep most routes private until confirmed. One loop is from the place we are staying down to the LBJ state park near Stonewall. But the main ride I'm hoping we can do is directly from the ACA's "Luckenbach Loop Alternate" which is one of several alternates from their Texas Hill Country Loop route map. Since it is a confirmed route I made it public. Here is the link if you are interested: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35935866
Old 05-21-21, 07:44 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by gleeloyd
Fredericksburg is where we are staying! Thanks for the heads up on the surface conditions. Yes, I've got a few routes planned on RWGPS. I keep most routes private until confirmed. One loop is from the place we are staying down to the LBJ state park near Stonewall. But the main ride I'm hoping we can do is directly from the ACA's "Luckenbach Loop Alternate" which is one of several alternates from their Texas Hill Country Loop route map. Since it is a confirmed route I made it public. Here is the link if you are interested: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35935866
Awesome! I just checked my RWGPS friends list and found Josh who works at Jack and Adams Bike shop in Fredericksburg. We talked to him when we first got into town and he offered his RWGPS routes. He still has a bunch of great routes posted. My favorite was an 83 (can shorten it to 63) mile route that goes to Doss. Beautiful ride!! He also has a 47 mile Luckenbach loop via river road route that looks darned close to ACA's.