Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Westminster, MD 2024. Who's going?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 03:50 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

https://stopswapandsave.com

I will be there as a buyer this year. Jim
Likes For jgedwa:
Old 02-12-24, 04:10 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I'll be there again. Second time as a vendor. We did great last year. Hoping for a repeat this time - I have too much stuff!
Old 02-12-24, 05:58 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
i'll be there, with a couple of friends. We'll have three tables going. my first Westminster swap!
Old 02-13-24, 02:20 PM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Yep, I'll be vending!
C&V interest seemed low last year. Hoping for an uptick this time around.
Old 02-13-24, 03:14 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I'm going, looking for a nice vintage frame or two and maybe some 9 speed Ultegra stuff. Its amazing what mainstream roadies consider obsolete and not worth much! This will be my 5th visit, and I've never been disappointed.
Old 02-14-24, 12:59 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Look for me there. I will be the goofy looking old guy wearing a Montreal Expos hat. Jim
Old 02-20-24, 07:55 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
OK, Who went and what did you find/sell?

I saw a few of you old timers there! We were vending and didn't do too bad. Saw a lot of good deals on bikes there. I didn't want to add to the collection but ended up bringing a Seinfeld Klein home with me... Could not help myself!
Old 02-21-24, 06:29 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I got a Bob Jackson frameset in rough but acceptable cosmetic shape (all decals intact, and the paint is black so its easy to touchup), a couple of Mavic wheelsets (super cheap) and lots of components. All offers under asking price were accepted. I got a nice Campy triple crankset that had been converted to a subcompact double. Walking around the ag center with the Bob Jackson frame was a great conversation starter, kind of like walking out of a Walmart in the south with a new fishing rod.
Old 02-22-24, 11:21 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

I got a few things. A wheel set and some oddball old mob stuff I am always looking for. Mostly though, I just enjoyed being amongst my tribe.

Jim
Likes For jgedwa:
Old 02-22-24, 05:51 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
I sold around $1500 worth of stuff; a modern carbon track bike frameset and a lot of vintage parts. I had the table with the 3Rensho pursuit bike and the Zunow track frame on it.

I bought some cool stuff:
  • A set of IRD "CAFAM" cantilever brakes. they're a modern copy of MAFACs but more robust
  • A Chris King "Rasta" threadless headset
  • A set of Chris King silver "classic" road hubs
  • Titanium 8-speed Campy cassette
  • Campy Chorus RD short cage
  • Campy Mirage RD long cage
  • New Brooks C17 Cambium saddle
  • New set of front & rear Kool Stop cantilever brake pads and pad holders
  • New Gran-Compe non-aero brake levers
  • Time ATAC pedals in nearly-new condition
Only regret was not snapping up the new-in-box set of Sugino 75 cranks for $200 and the two new-in-box Paul Components cranksets that were $400 each. They were gone within the first 30min of the vendor setting up. I saw them and thought to myself, "I'll look around a little more" and when I came back 10min later they were gone. That said, I'm trying to enforce a "no flipping" ethos for myself, and not buying items I don't need.

I saw an Eddy Merckx bike for $400 but it was filthy and needed some serious mechanical work. It didn't sell, and at the end of the swap I offered the seller $200. That didn't go over well and he just said "good day, sir!" and walked away. There was a lovely brown 56cm Zunow built up with Shimano Dura Ace AX for $800. Nicest frame I saw for sale was a Chris Kvale track frame with chrome lugs. That one sold, as I saw someone walking around with it later.

I've been going to swaps around the East Coast for the past three years and none of them were as good as the Brooklyn Bike Jumble... until Westminster! It was truly the best swap I've ever been to, with the most vendors and best deals I have ever seen. I will be back next year for sure.

Last edited by Catnap; 02-22-24 at 05:54 PM.
Likes For Catnap: