Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter cable question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifter cable question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 10:43 PM
ftimw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifter cable question

Is this what I use to change the shifter cables on my Rapid Fire ef51 shifters? Thank you in advance for your help.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-OT-SP4...hift+cable+set
Old 06-25-14, 11:56 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nope. That's for a road shifter. You need a cable for a Mtb shifter... or a cable that can go either way (two heads).
Old 06-26-14, 06:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ I don't think so...

...as the linked shift cables are okay.

I've installed two sets of EF-51 trigger shifters recently. There will be two sets of cables required, one for the pod shifters, and one for the integral v-brake levers. On mine, both shifters came with the inner cables pre-installed, but I'm certain that the cable had the small cylindrical barrel-type in line head, identical to the road shifter head. The cables linked by the OP will work, I believe. For shifting...

Now, the brake cables for the EF-51 levers will require the mtb type head (large disc) rather than the "mushroom" head found on cables for road levers.

Does this help?
Old 06-26-14, 10:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Shifter inner cables for road and MTB are the same (Shimano) head shape and only differ slightly in material (SS being more $) and length (front VS rear). Casings are much the same but for the choice of 5mm VS 4mm diameters and the proper casing end caps. We interchange casing diameters as needed all the time. As said the brake cables will be different between road and MTB. but then the linked cables were gear not brake ones.

When you open up the shifter covers to remove the inner cables I suggest that you drip a few drops of a medium wet lube on the ratchets, spools an lever pivots. Also on those tiny cover screws. Andy.
Old 06-27-14, 01:02 AM
ftimw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I ordered a set. I cracked open the cover and saw the head and confirmed the same shape. I'm glad I asked because I didn't take that into consideration. I was thinking about gauge and length. This will be my first time changing shifter cables out. My LBS is too busy to do same day work so there you go. I will be changing out the brake cables later depending on how this goes. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-14, 05:47 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It can be tricky threading the shifter cable through the first part of the shifter. Be patient, don't rush, and don't force it.
Old 06-27-14, 09:42 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kotts
It can be tricky threading the shifter cable through the first part of the shifter. Be patient, don't rush, and don't force it.
If you read the comments on that cable set on Amazon you will see they have FLAT SPIRAL housing in that set, BRAKE housing not SIS shifter housing. If you buy them knowing that, and just use the cable and just put the housing away to use for Brake housing it still might be a good buy.

Bill
Old 06-30-14, 10:31 PM
ftimw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable set was fine. In a sealed Shimano package. Rear cable surprisingly easy to replace. Now if I could find a replacement cover screw to replace the one I lost.