Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Trek Blendr attachments or alternative ?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 04:42 PM
bxcsvc24a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

i am sure other bikes offer this as well....but on the newer Trek bikes , they have basically go pro attachments that you can add to the handlebars of your bike.....so you can get attachments for your lights, garmin computer , etc....and it looks neater with this.

i have a trek fx 6 hybrid and this bike has the Blendr option for it and so I ordered the parts needed to have the Bontrager Ion light mounted low ( below the handlebars / and also more in the center of the bike ).....and I go to install the first part which is like a " C " and to me, it didnt look like it was going to stay attached to the handlebar with the light attached to it, so I tried to push it on there as it almost looks as it it would " snap " on the stem , and when I pushed on it, it snapped and broke.

so attached is a link that shows the attachments needed for each stem.. I ordered the Mono Base w537089 ( part that broke ) along with the mountain bike Ion light 529591
here is a bigger picture of it :

Bontrager XXX/Pro/Elite Stem Blendr Mono Base | Trek Bikes

BT21_MISC_Blendr_Flowchart_NA-2021.pdf (scene7.com)

so my question is this......is there a alternative piece that can be used along with the 529591 or do i just have to buy another mono base ?

i did some looking around on go pro and amazon and didnt find anything and was thinking that maybe members have bought some after market parts ?
Old 04-24-21, 05:25 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
I went through something similar with my Domane SL5. Ordered the Blendr dual base and the GoPro mount, knowing I'd have to go 3rd party for something for my Wahoo Roam. I didn't break the dual base, but was pretty bumfoozled until I figured out that I had to take the stem pieces that clamp onto the handlebars loose so the base could mount *under* them. Had sent a support request to Trek about this, and got a response telling me I had to do as I had done about a day after I figured it out. I suspect you'll have to do something similar.

--Richard
Old 04-24-21, 05:33 PM
bxcsvc24a

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Richard.

thanks for the reply. .........so you have to take the stem loose and then fit this mount under it so it holds it on there better ? when you look at the stem and this part, it almost looks as if it should snap in there....but obviously, this was not correct .

i will just order another one as its not expensive ( $11 ?)....
Old 04-24-21, 05:37 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Old 04-24-21, 05:41 PM
bxcsvc24a

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
not making excuses....but on that bracket that broke, it comes in a small zip lock bag and no instructions on what to do......but on the mount for the light, there are instructions. go figure.

thanks for uploading that video.......
Old 04-25-21, 08:46 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
No. You have to loosen the 4 screws that secure the bar clamps to the stem, insert the base and retighten the screws. Make note of your bar position are before loosening the screws so when you tighten it back up you don't have to go through dialing in your bar position (assuming you are happy with the current setup).

After a few months of riding on rough roads around here the base wore-in enough to get a slight rattle. I removed the base, put a single layer electrical tape on the bars and reinstalled. That was about 5000 miles ago and no issues since.

Old 04-25-21, 08:49 AM
bxcsvc24a

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Make note of your bar position are before loosening the screws so when you tighten it back up you don't have to go through dialing in your bar position
good suggestion. thank you.
Likes For bxcsvc24a: