Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Blinkies on helmets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Blinkies on helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 10:48 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Blinkies on helmets

On the older style helmets there was a plastic strap that ran across the back of the helmet which was part of the head harness (from lack of a better term) on which you could clip on a blinkie light. Now days, most of the newer helmets have the size adjustment wheel thingie on the back on the helmet on which a blinkie cannot be clipped. Do any of you have ways that you have come up with to attach a blinkie to the rear of your helmet? OR are you aware of any brand(s) of the newer helmets that still have the old-style straps? A blinkie on the helmet was a great way to be more visible from the rear and a good backup for the blinkie on the seat post. Helmets with built-in lights are way too expensive.
Old 01-01-23, 10:54 AM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
I got one of the new Bontrager Wavecel helmets that has magnetic attach points on top and on the back. And it comes with a GoPro-srtyle mount for the top, I bought a Bontrager taillight that snaps into the rear point. Works fine, but I have dislodged the rear guy taking off my Camelbak to get something in one of the pouches. Someone will undoubtedly make a rear-facing light that isn't quite as birght that has a lower profile as some point. I've not seen anything new with a back strap.
Old 01-01-23, 11:21 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've seen folks create a strap by stringing a zip-tie through the helmet vent holes that they clip a light to. Personally, I'm not a fan of riding behind someone with their taillight at eye-level -- especially if it's in blinking mode.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-01-23, 11:22 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I've always been able the thread the straps in the light mount through the vents on the helmet.
Old 01-01-23, 09:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
A good helmet is designed to allow your head to roll or slide along the pavement rather than to get hung up. Think about it: if you come off the bike and your body is tumbling along the pavement, but your helmet catches and prevents your head from rolling of sliding, you're more likely to get a neck injury. In other words, clipping something to your helmet is a bad idea.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-01-23, 11:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A good helmet is designed to allow your head to roll or slide along the pavement rather than to get hung up. Think about it: if you come off the bike and your body is tumbling along the pavement, but your helmet catches and prevents your head from rolling of sliding, you're more likely to get a neck injury. In other words, clipping something to your helmet is a bad idea.
In newer helmets this is called MIPS.

Old 01-02-23, 12:47 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
On the older style helmets there was a plastic strap that ran across the back of the helmet which was part of the head harness (from lack of a better term) on which you could clip on a blinkie light. Now days, most of the newer helmets have the size adjustment wheel thingie on the back on the helmet on which a blinkie cannot be clipped. Do any of you have ways that you have come up with to attach a blinkie to the rear of your helmet? OR are you aware of any brand(s) of the newer helmets that still have the old-style straps? A blinkie on the helmet was a great way to be more visible from the rear and a good backup for the blinkie on the seat post. Helmets with built-in lights are way too expensive.
My old Guarneau helmet has a little round blinky velcro'd to the round adjustment knob. OTOH, it was so weak with poor visibility, that it was worthless, IMHO.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-02-23, 12:49 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Without pushing this thread into A&S territory, as helmet threads are wont to do; there’s very little risk of a added-on blinky light being the silver bullet that causes the failure of a helmet and the catastrophic injury to the user.
In all likelihood, in a crash, the little plastic light will get smashed to bits, the strap will break, or it will unclip itself and get flung away, rather than precisely and forcefully piercing through a helmet.

Having lost a fair handful of clip-on blinkies over the years, just riding along, I have no reason to believe that one would stay attached during a crash event.
I also realize that everyone has their own personal acceptable risk matrix, so take it as you will
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-02-23, 08:07 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I've managed to use zip ties through the air vents to successfully attach a taillight to my helmets. Some helmets work better than others, but I've always managed to fudge around and get something to work. The other part of the equation is to get a light that has a long enough clip to support two zip ties. I use Princeton Tec Swerve lights. They are still a bit old-fashioned and use batteries, but they have a very long clip to work with.

I don't ride much at night anymore, so my helmet light is merely a backup in case one of my two bike taillights fail, or if I get caught in bad weather/low visibility conditions. Otherwise, I prefer lights attached to the seat post or seat stays that can be aimed accurately. Anything on your helmet, backpack, or saddle bag is going to be bouncing around and not optimally aimed.
Old 01-02-23, 08:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In newer helmets this is called MIPS.
Not really.

MIPS is intended to reduce the transfer of rotational impact to the brain… it is designed to reduce movement of the brain within the skull. I am talking about reducing rotation of the entire head, which can damage the neck. MIPS is a helmet liner system; a smooth and well-rounded outer shell helps reduce head rotation.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-02-23, 09:10 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the input of great information.
Old 01-02-23, 10:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I have one like this (with red LED) strapped onto the back of my helmet:

I just fed the silicone rubber strap through one of the rear holes on my helmet and latched it. All I have to do is press on top of the light and it switches on.
Old 01-02-23, 11:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I have one like this (with red LED) strapped onto the back of my helmet:

I just fed the silicone rubber strap through one of the rear holes on my helmet and latched it. All I have to do is press on top of the light and it switches on.
That's what I do, as well. The strap goes through the vent holes.
Old 01-02-23, 11:40 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Little Velcro strap works.

I turn it on when I’m traffic with cars when it’s getting dark.
Old 01-03-23, 05:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
My helmet company (Giro) thinks mounting blinkie lights behind helmets is such a bad idea that they actually make a blinkie that mounts in the large vent hole just above the wheel adjuster on the model I have (Register). It is a very specific to model design and they have three or four different casings to fit a dozen or so different helmet shells with that feature. A Giro Register MIPS helmet can be obtained for $55 and up. Expensive? YMMV. I spent that on a helmet in 2005 and thought I was getting a deal. Spending the same amount in 2022 for a certified MIPS lid from an international brand (Giro) ... I'll leave it there.
Old 01-03-23, 06:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
As a driver, I sometimes find helmet-mounted front and rear lights confusing, especially when it is very dark. Unlike many drivers, I am pre-disposed to giving cyclists a break whenever possible, so I hope you won't mind me humbly suggesting more than one front and rear light, with one of each in the canonical/expected positions.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-04-23, 12:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I've seen folks create a strap by stringing a zip-tie through the helmet vent holes that they clip a light to.
Yes. This is what I do. The rubber-band/o-ring that comes with the blinky light wasn't long enough so I added a loop of zip-tie. Make sure the tab end doesn't poke into your scalp!
Old 01-04-23, 02:41 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Specialized Centro LED is on-sale for $45 right now.
Centro LED | Specialized.com

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-09-23, 03:29 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
As a driver, I sometimes find helmet-mounted front and rear lights confusing, especially when it is very dark. Unlike many drivers, I am pre-disposed to giving cyclists a break whenever possible, so I hope you won't mind me humbly suggesting more than one front and rear light, with one of each in the canonical/expected positions.
My helmet mounted light is used in addition to the taillights I have on my bike.
Likes For Milton Keynes: