Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any country or area where there's -0- bike theft?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 08:08 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

Is there a country or area in the US anywhere where you'd feel fine leaving a bike parked on a city street bike rack without locking it, where bicycle theft just doesn't happen?

I'm in a relatively low crime area but I wouldn't leave a bike unlocked around here.

Is there just no such place?
Old 02-16-23, 08:20 PM
PaulJensen

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 - Ibis Cousin It tandem - Zizzo Liberte folding bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
In my town, on the USA border with Canada, I’ve seen bikes left on a lawn for weeks, bikes left on front porches for months, and last night I forgot to bring in three of my better bikes I left in the alley driveway overnight… Not just bike, but almost anything left out is safe… So weird…And it’s a flat town, wide streets, no traffic, it’s heaven…

Thirty miles away in Vancouver BC, stolen bikes are a thieves currency… Had my Raleigh folder stolen out of our locked car in a municipal parking garage…
Likes For PaulJensen:
Old 02-16-23, 08:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I'm sure there are safer area outside the urban cores that are safer than others.

Old 02-16-23, 08:40 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
I am guessing it is a catch 22. Places where bikes are stolen are places where there are many riders, like Vancouver given great infrastructure.

But while you should be angry with the thief, I think you should be angrier with the bike purchaser. Perhaps, the purchaser is gullible. But you have to wonder if most of the time the purchaser looks the other way
Old 02-16-23, 09:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Honestly parking it in a place without many drug addicts or homeless people is 90% of the battle.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-16-23, 09:39 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Especially in Vancouver. That used to be a really lovely place.

Old 02-16-23, 10:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Is there a country or area in the US anywhere where you'd feel fine leaving a bike parked on a city street bike rack without locking it, where bicycle theft just doesn't happen?

I'm in a relatively low crime area but I wouldn't leave a bike unlocked around here.

Where I live, it is safe enough to leave your doors unlocked, but someone grabbed my kid's BMX bike when it was parked out in the open.

I doubt anywhere is crime-free, unless it also happens to be depopulated of **** sapiens.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-16-23, 10:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Honestly parking it in a place without many drug addicts or homeless people is 90% of the battle.
In my experience, it is the Wall Street criminals who are responsible for 90% of theft, weighted by dollar amount.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-16-23, 10:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Antarctica .... maybe.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-16-23, 10:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
In my dream world there is no crime and the Di2 grows on trees and there are loads of waterfalls but instead of water it is the smoothest most delicious Scotch that won't get you drunk no matter how much you drink.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-16-23, 10:53 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Check the local newspapers. Any local newspaper that reports stolen bikes, you know is a low crime area.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 02-16-23, 11:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Uranus

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-16-23, 11:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rsbob
Uranus
I'm not gonna go there.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-16-23, 11:15 PM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Petersburg Alaska. It is on an island. Not a big Town. Extremely Scenic, with Glaciers coming right down into the Ocean, across the Bay. One long road around the island. Too many Beats. No theft.
Likes For Jimriides:
Old 02-16-23, 11:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You have to find a place where no one is desperate enough
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-16-23, 11:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
only place i could fathom would have HDMI equipped rim brakes.
Old 02-16-23, 11:50 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimriides
Petersburg Alaska. It is on an island. Not a big Town. Extremely Scenic, with Glaciers coming right down into the Ocean, across the Bay. One long road around the island. Too many Beats. No theft.
What about bears? I'd rather have my bike stolen
Old 02-17-23, 12:18 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I have been to such a place. It is a series of islands with 40,000 or so people. I am sure that the gene pool is fairly shallow, since the big town is 30,000 people.

The people are deeply religious. They are friendly to a fault. The last year I looked up they had 2 residential burglaries. They have had 3 murders in the past 100 years.

Criminal penalties are not that harsh. I got the same answers from people when I asked how they do it,:
1) their religion forbids stealing and they actually believe that it will be punished by a higher power.
2) because so many people are related, you might be stealing from a relative and that just isn't done.
3) because they live on a small island, someone will recognize the stolen property and they will be caught. There are only 5 officers, but police solve 75% of all crimes in the district. Also, there are CCTV cameras everywhere and you will be caught.
4) because of the above you would have to take stolen property to the mainland to sell it, and the people who run the boats will notice that you have stolen property and you will be met on the other side by police.

Nope, I am not going to say where it is, but the weather is cool and wet, the beer is fantastic, wages are low, and the Whisky definitely will put you under the table.
Old 02-17-23, 12:48 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I have been to such a place. It is a series of islands with 40,000 or so people. I am sure that the gene pool is fairly shallow, since the big town is 30,000 people.

The people are deeply religious. They are friendly to a fault. The last year I looked up they had 2 residential burglaries. They have had 3 murders in the past 100 years.

Criminal penalties are not that harsh. I got the same answers from people when I asked how they do it,:
1) their religion forbids stealing and they actually believe that it will be punished by a higher power.
2) because so many people are related, you might be stealing from a relative and that just isn't done.
3) because they live on a small island, someone will recognize the stolen property and they will be caught. There are only 5 officers, but police solve 75% of all crimes in the district. Also, there are CCTV cameras everywhere and you will be caught.
4) because of the above you would have to take stolen property to the mainland to sell it, and the people who run the boats will notice that you have stolen property and you will be met on the other side by police.

Nope, I am not going to say where it is, but the weather is cool and wet, the beer is fantastic, wages are low, and the Whisky definitely will put you under the table.
this reminds me of some past exposures with at the time, current, & also former jehovah folks.
I've concluded that they had a rather large quantity of folks that dabbled with a "wilder" lifestyle than some may expect.. Not just violent activities, but also "rough trade".
Old 02-17-23, 04:00 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 95 Posts

Cicley,Alaska...in the borough of Arrowhead County..Ed Chigliak
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 02-17-23, 04:02 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Smith Island Maryland.

Small island in the middle of the Chesapeake. Still inhabited by the descendants of the original settlers from the 1700’s.

Crimes/disputes are settled by Friday night fights at the baseball field. But crime is essentially non existent…

Other than that? Probably nowhere humans live.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-17-23, 04:23 AM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Smith Island Maryland.

Small island in the middle of the Chesapeake. Still inhabited by the descendants of the original settlers from the 1700’s.

Crimes/disputes are settled by Friday night fights at the baseball field. But crime is essentially non existent…

Other than that? Probably nowhere humans live.
How does a place like this have enough commerce to support an economy? A lot of outsiders visiting or otherwise doing business with the locals?
Old 02-17-23, 04:48 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I grew up and lived many years in a small town that was quite like Mayberry (if you are old enough to get the reference). Bike theft was quite rare there and I never experienced it until I was an adult and some meth-head stole my son's bike. The guy was known around town and had been given the nickname Joe Dirt as he resembled the David Spade character. I would see him from time to time on the bike and he would apparently see me too because by the time I could get around the block he would give me the slip. One day I finally caught up to him when I saw him sitting on my son's bike in the middle of the sidewalk on the main drag and I did a U turn in the middle of the street and cornered him. He hopped off the bike and started yelling "We are going to the police station" as he knew that was going to be his best defense against me beating his ass. The police station was just around the corner from where I caught him and all going to the police station resulted in was Joe Dirt walking home and me throwing my son's bike in the back of my SUV. Too bad "Andy" was on duty that day instead of "Barney".

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-17-23, 05:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Wherever they sell locks, there will be some degree of crime.
Old 02-17-23, 05:20 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
How does a place like this have enough commerce to support an economy? A lot of outsiders visiting or otherwise doing business with the locals?
Its an interesting place, I've been lucky enough to visit for a few weekends...

Traditionally, the people were watermen. Oysters, crabs, fish caught and exported to the mainland. That's changed over the years as the bay health is in bad shape. Now they have some tourism, guided adventure, Smith Island Cakes, B&B's.

The men living there are big stock, rugged & strong. All of them. Crime is (was, see below) non existent. And for the longest time, there was no law on the island.

Edit:
I was there 20+ years ago. I just looked some things up, apparently things have changed. Looks like property crime is a common now. Some websites are reporting property crime, some are not. Crime there isn't tracked by normal agencies - so I don't know what to believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.