Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mobile repair parts list

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mobile repair parts list

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 07:03 AM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Mobile repair parts list

I an interest in creating a bike day, once a month, at a church that serves unhoused people, many of whom depend on bikes in their life. I have been collecting, repairing, and delivering bikes for about 6 months here. Often, when dropping bikes off, I am approached for repair help on bikes that are already in possession of the people. I don't typically take tools or parts with me so I haven't been able to do this but the need is there.

I don't have a van so space would be limited as to tools and parts I would take.

Has anyone done this and could supply a list of parts you would take to try to cover repairs. To be more specific, these bikes are usually cruisers or MB type, and are usually 5,6,7,8 speeds.

I have a decent selection of tools but would also solicit a tool list if someone has it put together. Thanks!
Likes For louky:
Old 04-22-23, 09:37 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
great question and bless you for doing this ! Part lists are tricky because all sorts of bikes of unknown pedigree are coming at you

ome suggestions for tools

tire pump with Presta and Schrader heads, tire pressure guage
tire levers
a cable cutter
metric allen keys
pliers, screwdriver with interchangeable bits, 8" adjustable wrench
spoke wrench
headset spanners

Parts
Tubes in 26 and 27/700 sizes... extra tires (I have a bunch that are worn but serviceable)
Shift and brake cables
brake pads maybe
length of chain altho this is a tricky one
your hardware junk can with your cast - off parts and nuts / bolts

and whatever else you can think of
Old 04-22-23, 10:53 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Wrench for non-QR wheels. I have one I bought for my single-speed that is just a flat steel handle with two sockets in the usual sizes on opposite sides and a pedal wrench on the other end. Works fine, light enough for daily carry if you have that type of bike. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCA7H0U/

Chain lube, and another for everything else.

Tube patch kit. I use self-adhesive, and with proper cleaning (sandpaper) and burnishing(!!) have never had a failure.
Old 04-22-23, 03:30 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
great question and bless you for doing this ! Part lists are tricky because all sorts of bikes of unknown pedigree are coming at you

tire levers
a cable cutter
metric allen keys
spoke wrench
headset spanners

Parts
Tubes in 26 and 27/700 sizes... extra tires (I have a bunch that are worn but serviceable)
Shift and brake cables
brake pads maybe

I'd certainly add Cable Housing and end caps... 4mm(shift) and 5mm(brake) sizes.... to that list...and a few Brake lever/perch assemblies for v-brake and Canti...

some cheapo slip on Hand Grips too.
Old 04-22-23, 05:24 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
I'd certainly add Cable Housing and end caps... 4mm(shift) and 5mm(brake) sizes.... to that list...and a few Brake lever/perch assemblies for v-brake and Canti...

some cheapo slip on Hand Grips too.
Hammer and vise grips...
Old 04-22-23, 06:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
PB Blaster, disposable gloves.
Old 04-22-23, 06:06 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Chain breaker tool and a long cheap chain from Amazon. You can get a kit on Amazon that comes with a chain, breaker tool, master links, and master link pliers for under $20. Save the master links and just use the breaker tool to re-install the links unless you absolutely need the master links. Also, save all of the old parts you take off for spares or to scavenge things from. So many little pieces you might need that you will find in a parts box. I used to volunteer at a women's/children's shelter project where I repaired bikes for the women and children. What the previous poster listed along with a chain breaker kit as I mentioned should get you what you need. Also, get a standard Allen wrench set because a lot of cheap bikes use a mishmash of metric and standard. A rechargeable impact gun is really nice to have too if you are doing a lot of work. Find out if you have a 'Harbor Freight' tools store near you. You can get tools really inexpensively there. If you don't already have an impact gun then I would recommend the Harbor Freight Hercules 3/8" impact gun (blue in color). It is amazingly strong with a long battery life for half the cost of a Dewalt.

Also, a razor box cutter knife to remove handgrips and cheap Amazon handgrips that slide on with an Allen screw to hold them in place. Use those if you plan to return otherwise just get the cheapest grips you can find. The removable ones with the Allen screw are about $10 a set on Amazon.

A big pack of red rags, synthetic marine grease in a small grease gun, and Cleanzoil. Cleanzoil is a penetrating lubricant somewhat like WD-40 but x10. It will actually remove corrosion. I have used it on pliers that were rusted completely solid by salt water. This stuff is the bomb IF you can find it in the aerosol can. I don't think they make it in an aerosol can anymore. The alternative is CorrosionX but is pricey. I have not used the non-aerosol Cleanzoil but I imagine it is similar. When I run out I will just buy it in bulk and use an aerosol can that you pump air into. I am a fisherman and I use Cleanzoil or CorrosionX on everything metal that might come in contact with saltwater. It is not to be used on bearings or chains though as a lubricant. I only use it as a corrosion inhibitor or corrosion breaker. Synthetic marine-grade grease is best for chains and bearings. You can buy the expensive 'bike-specific" grease but synthetic marine-grade grease is cheaper and better for standard use. Bike-specific grease may be thinner and feel better but for protection in all elements under hard use, the marine stuff is the way to go. Also, get a jar of the silver anti-seize stuff. Put it on everything that is threaded so it won't get rusted and stuck again. Also, use the anti-seize on any metal pieces that are bolted together. Like face-to-face so they will never corrode together.

OH and ArmorAll tire stuff! JUST on the sidewalls! The kids love to see the tires shine. Nothing better than seeing a kid smile on a bike that doesn't have flat tires.
Old 04-22-23, 11:35 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I an interest in creating a bike day, once a month, at a church that serves unhoused people, many of whom depend on bikes in their life. I have been collecting, repairing, and delivering bikes for about 6 months here. Often, when dropping bikes off, I am approached for repair help on bikes that are already in possession of the people. I don't typically take tools or parts with me so I haven't been able to do this but the need is there.

I don't have a van so space would be limited as to tools and parts I would take.

Has anyone done this and could supply a list of parts you would take to try to cover repairs. To be more specific, these bikes are usually cruisers or MB type, and are usually 5,6,7,8 speeds.

I have a decent selection of tools but would also solicit a tool list if someone has it put together. Thanks!
You sound like how we started repairs 6 years ago but it was once a week and now we refined it to twice a month at each of 4 locations for a total of 8 days a month (1st to 4th Tuesday and Fridays). I was working out of the trunk of my car (2015 Lincoln MKZ) and the back seat had several small bins with parts. When we first started, we would not do repairs on bottom brackets/cranks or repair rims on site, too time consuming. Time limit on the work stand was limited to 30 minutes max for each bike so we could help as many as we could.
Moved to a medium SUV (2020 Hyundai Santa Fe) with the rear seats always down and in 2023 filling the rear with all the parts, tools, etc. We were gifted a 12'x6' enclosed trailer which is now the portable bike shop and we just picked up a 2023 Santa Fe with a larger engine to tow it to the sites.
Our parts lists keeps getting refined as we learn what we actually need and quantities on hand but here are a general list, mind you we not only go to homeless facilities but also service bikes at schools and also through our local foster/adoptive program so our parts list might be more extensive.

Tubes, Schrader & Presta valve versions from 29" to 12"
Tires - Mostly 26 (559) but also 700, 24, 20, 18 & 16
Chains several 5/6/7/8 speed chains and 3-4 single speed
Brake cables MTB and Road bike types
Derailleur cables
cable end crimps
Housings 4 & 5mm plus ferrules
Noodles and boots for v-brakes
brake cable adjusters (7 & 10mm)
Block brake pads
V-Brake Pads
Threadless post brake pads
Kickstands
Front, rear and wheel reflectors
pedal reflectors
brake handles
brake assemblies (side pull and linear)
seat posts (various sizes)
saddles
derailleurs (front and rear, varicose)
6 Small parts bins (briefcase type) to keep small parts & hardware sorted
6 smaller totes with covers for the larger parts
assorted metric bolt, nuts, washers including specialty bolts (anchor, seat, etc.)
Multiple versions of Master Links and missing links
Ty-raps
HB Grips
Kickstands
bottle cages
small tube patch kits (to give out)

Tools
Good work stand
Inflater with extension cord
small roll around tool box (doubles as a seat)
foldable work tables (we use TV snack tables)
Full set of metric wrenches from 8mm to 19mm
1/4 & 3/8 Socket set and 18" breaker bar
full set of long hex wrenched
large adjustable wrench
punch (drift) set
Ball pean hammer
spoke wrenches
master link pliers
chain break tool
crank puller
set of cone wrenches from 13mm to 17mm
Tire irons
Cable/housing cutters
Razor/utility knife
files
hacksaw
screwdrivers
various cutting and long nose pliers
channel lock (pump) pliers (3 sizes)
Bike specific bottom bracket & headset wrenches
Bike specific spanners
Oils, grease, rags, cleanup spray bottles (water, goof-off, pb blaster, windex)
Disposable 9 mil gloves
Waterless hand cleaner

Last edited by JoeTBM; 04-23-23 at 12:22 AM. Reason: keep thinking of more stuff - LOL
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 04-23-23, 12:04 AM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
You sound like how we started 6 years ago. I was working out of the truck of my car (2015 Lincoln MKZ) and the back seat had several small bins with parts. When we first started, we would not do repairs on bottom brackets/cranks or repair rims on site.
Moved to a medium SUV (2020 Hyundai Santa Fe) with the rear seats always down and in 2023 we were gifted a 12'x6' enclosed trailer and we just picked up a 2023 Santa Fe with a larger engine.
Our parts lists keeps getting refined as we learn what we actually need and quantities on hand but here are a general list, mind you we not only go to homeless facilities but also service bikes at schools and also through our local foster/adoptive program so our p
There is nothing I can say that you haven't already heard. Folks, buy into these people and their services if you want to donate. Don't give your money to a 'pink' religion that makes a few people richer and nobody stronger.
Likes For aaronM46:
Old 04-23-23, 07:15 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
One notable thing I did when I was into this type of service was drilling out presta holes in rims to fit schrader valves. Of course the people I serviced didn't know the difference outside the fact that they couldn't air up a tire at the gas station. The person in possession of the bike being modified always agreed to the change, especially after it was explained to them.
On my end it meant not having to deal with stocking presta and schrader valve tubes.

What is a pink religion?
Old 04-23-23, 07:43 AM
louky

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
One notable thing I did when I was into this type of service was drilling out presta holes in rims to fit schrader valves. Of course the people I serviced didn't know the difference outside the fact that they couldn't air up a tire at the gas station. The person in possession of the bike being modified always agreed to the change, especially after it was explained to them.
On my end it meant not having to deal with stocking presta and schrader valve tubes.

What is a pink religion?
That's a great idea. Most of these folks depend on getting air from a few public bike stands that are often not functioning, and maybe some tire stores that still have free air. Schrader valves make more sense for that reason. Easy enough to bring a battery drill with the proper bit.
Old 04-23-23, 07:45 AM
louky

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
You sound like how we started repairs 6 years ago but it was once a week and now we refined it to twice a month at each of 4 locations for a total of 8 days a month (1st to 4th Tuesday and Fridays). I was working out of the trunk of my car (2015 Lincoln MKZ) and the back seat had several small bins with parts. When we first started, we would not do repairs on bottom brackets/cranks or repair rims on site, too time consuming. Time limit on the work stand was limited to 30 minutes max for each bike so we could help as many as we could.
Moved to a medium SUV (2020 Hyundai Santa Fe) with the rear seats always down and in 2023 filling the rear with all the parts, tools, etc. We were gifted a 12'x6' enclosed trailer which is now the portable bike shop and we just picked up a 2023 Santa Fe with a larger engine to tow it to the sites.
Our parts lists keeps getting refined as we learn what we actually need and quantities on hand but here are a general list, mind you we not only go to homeless facilities but also service bikes at schools and also through our local foster/adoptive program so our parts list might be more extensive.

Tubes, Schrader & Presta valve versions from 29" to 12"
Tires - Mostly 26 (559) but also 700, 24, 20, 18 & 16
Chains several 5/6/7/8 speed chains and 3-4 single speed
Brake cables MTB and Road bike types
Derailleur cables
cable end crimps
Housings 4 & 5mm plus ferrules
Noodles and boots for v-brakes
brake cable adjusters (7 & 10mm)
Block brake pads
V-Brake Pads
Threadless post brake pads
Kickstands
Front, rear and wheel reflectors
pedal reflectors
brake handles
brake assemblies (side pull and linear)
seat posts (various sizes)
saddles
derailleurs (front and rear, varicose)
6 Small parts bins (briefcase type) to keep small parts & hardware sorted
6 smaller totes with covers for the larger parts
assorted metric bolt, nuts, washers including specialty bolts (anchor, seat, etc.)
Multiple versions of Master Links and missing links
Ty-raps
HB Grips
Kickstands
bottle cages
small tube patch kits (to give out)

Tools
Good work stand
Inflater with extension cord
small roll around tool box (doubles as a seat)
foldable work tables (we use TV snack tables)
Full set of metric wrenches from 8mm to 19mm
1/4 & 3/8 Socket set and 18" breaker bar
full set of long hex wrenched
large adjustable wrench
punch (drift) set
Ball pean hammer
spoke wrenches
master link pliers
chain break tool
crank puller
set of cone wrenches from 13mm to 17mm
Tire irons
Cable/housing cutters
Razor/utility knife
files
hacksaw
screwdrivers
various cutting and long nose pliers
channel lock (pump) pliers (3 sizes)
Bike specific bottom bracket & headset wrenches
Bike specific spanners
Oils, grease, rags, cleanup spray bottles (water, goof-off, pb blaster, windex)
Disposable 9 mil gloves
Waterless hand cleaner

Thanks Joe, as usual. This would have been a great thread for establishment of the forum we've been discussing!
Likes For louky:
Old 04-23-23, 07:50 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
What is a pink religion?
They delegate actual help to some supernatural being(s).
Old 04-23-23, 08:28 AM
louky

Originally Posted by mpetry912

tire levers
a cable cutter
metric allen keys
spoke wrench
headset spanners

Parts
Shift and brake cables
brake pads maybe

Is there one tube size that would service 27 and 700?
Old 04-23-23, 09:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
Don't give your money to a 'pink' religion that makes a few people richer and nobody stronger.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-23-23, 11:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
What is a pink religion?
It is a cocktail probably? Or if not would make a great name for a cocktail. I would assume maybe starting with pink gin (Plymouth gin and Ango bitters) but I guess you could do one of the fruitier sweeter drinks as well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-23-23, 12:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a cocktail probably? Or if not would make a great name for a cocktail. I would assume maybe starting with pink gin (Plymouth gin and Ango bitters) but I guess you could do one of the fruitier sweeter drinks as well.
Pink gin plus a couple drops of LSD.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-24-23, 01:19 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

That's a great idea. Most of these folks depend on getting air from a few public bike stands that are often not functioning, and maybe some tire stores that still have free air. Schrader valves make more sense for that reason. Easy enough to bring a battery drill with the proper bit.
Make sure you deburr that hole so that the valve stems don't get trashed.
We carry with us some inexpensive presta adapters that we give away. Also if a bike has presta valves, we attach one of these to one of the presta valves.

Old 04-24-23, 01:26 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Is there one tube size that would service 27 and 700?
Yes I have seen some that have both sizes marked on them. I will see if I can find one later this morning at the shop and take a picture of it for the brand. Mind you we patch and reuse a lots of tubes (tube patching parties) in addition to purchasing some new ones wholesale.

But on that note, when our backs are against the wall we have used a different size tube to get someone going like installing a 29" tube in a 32" tire. We don't like to do that but sometimes it is necessary..