Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank click, Trek FX1 disc

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 12:32 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts

I'm getting a click, which I can feel in my right foot, every time my right pedal comes around to about 2 o'clock. This happens on any and all gears, front or back, except I never use the 28 on front, so I haven't thought to check if the problem shows on that one. I found that the bottom bracket was a bit loose and tightened both sides and have replaced my pedals. While the cranks were off I checked the bottom bracket and it was lubed and smooth. I recently replaced my chain, but the noise was present before that. There's no obvious mechanical interference with things like my shoes, etc. I've had the bike for two years and a couple of months and it has 3500 miles on it

I think I have this narrowed down and would like to know if this is a possibility: the crankset is a cheap one, with riveted rings swaged onto the crank. Is it possible that either the swaging or the rings are slightly loose and are repositioning themselves once every turn and that this is my click? If not that, I'm out of ideas. A damaged BB bearing wouldn't show at the same spot every turn, right?

A better new crank isn't too expensive, so I wouldn't mind replacing mine, or for that matter riding the one I have until it dies IF I know the cause is just something in the rings. This doesn't seem to be an emergency problem, just an annoying one.

TIA for any new ideas on this one.

Last edited by mdarnton; 04-29-23 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-29-23, 01:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
What year FX1 is this? I can't imagine Trek using a crankset with riveted rings. Is this a used bike you bought with an unknown history?
Old 04-29-23, 02:14 PM
mdarnton

2021, from a Trek dealer, and yes, it is spec'd with nameless riveted cranks by Trek. I remember reading the brand somewhere recently, and it's a bottom-end OEM maker, but the name escapes me. The FX1 is right at the bottom of their FX line. You can imagine that I wouldn't be disppointed to spring for a better crank, if that's the problem.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-disc/p/27987/
It was cheap, but it's for commuting to downtown Chicago. It's done me well and so far no one's stolen it.
Old 04-29-23, 02:41 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 406 Posts
I know nothing about modern bikes but have a friend with a modern (2017?) $$$$ Trek, and developed a click as you describe. Shop found a hairline crack in the crank arm.

I suggested vintage Stronglight/TA/Campy cranks. He was not amused.

Old 04-29-23, 02:54 PM
mdarnton

Found the original crank brand: Wheeltop TCRF3 48x38x28T Black

tiger1964 Thanks. I'll take a closer look, and maybe just replace it anyway.
Old 04-29-23, 03:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You might go to your local trek dealer with the bike and if nothing else, just find out what that BB shell is on that bike. Then you'll know better what crank and BB you can get and be certain it'll fit.
Old 04-29-23, 03:11 PM
mdarnton

tiger1964 OK, thanks. I just ordered a new upgraded crank. I won't mess around with this. I believe it started about when I crashed my bike last fall, so. . . .
Old 05-03-23, 07:59 AM
mdarnton

The problem turned out to be a loose bottom bracket. I'd already tightened the left, which I could see was loose, but when I took the crank off the right was loose also. I'm guessing my crash has something to do with knocking that loose, since that's when it started, soon after. I tightened it up and the click disappeared. Now I've got an extra bottom bracket and an upgrade crank in the closet..... not the end of the world.