Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are you not riding because of Air Quality Index ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are you not riding because of Air Quality Index ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 07:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
PM2.5 penetrate right down to the gas exchange surfaces in the alveoli of the lung and cross into the bloodstream where they cause endothelial damage and accelerate atherosclerosis. Chronic exposure to particulates also causes pulmonary fibrosis, leading to impaired respiratory function. Fitness is irrelevant to these chronic and cumulative processes.
This is the key. You're not going to come back from ONE ride in smokey conditions with Black Lung (also because that's coal dust, not smoke), but over more and more rides, over months or years, the damage adds up.

I won't ride outside if it's over 150 (PM2.5, LRAPA adjustment) anywhere along the route I plan to ride. I don't have any underlying lung issues - no asthma, no CPD. AND I check Purple Air to gauge what's coming over the time I'll be riding.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-02-23, 08:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Trolls trolling trolls.
Old 07-02-23, 08:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Trolls trolling trolls.

...it's turtles all the way down.
Old 07-02-23, 08:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I'll bike while in the yellow, but not once it goes into orange. That's like smoking a perpetual cigarette.
Old 07-02-23, 08:53 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
the smoke was displacing too much of the oxygen in the air.
No, it wasn't. Smoke is particulates, not gas, and so does not displace oxygen. Your lungs react to the particles and that is why it feels like there's not enough oxygen.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 07-02-23, 08:58 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
No, it wasn't. Smoke is particulates, not gas, and so does not displace oxygen. Your lungs react to the particles and that is why it feels like there's not enough oxygen.
Whatever it was. By mid summer most years I can comfortably run at 14k. The smoke that day had me moving like I was above 20k.
Old 07-02-23, 09:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I can comfortably run at 14k.
More turtles.
Old 07-02-23, 09:07 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I do agree particulates restrict oxygen intake. The lungs go into a protection mode wherein they try to absorb fewer particles, at the expense of restricting oxygen exchange. So, indirectly, the smoke is having the effect you describe.
Old 07-02-23, 09:26 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...no problem. They're your lungs. You should be free to abuse them as you wish.
It's impossible to avoid pollution in our modern world, unless you lock yourself into some safety bubble and never go anywhere and do anything... What about all the daily bike commuters who ride in large cities and are exposed daily to smog and exhaust fumes and all manner of pollutants ?. I don't hear about thousands of bike commuters dropping dead from pollution, what gives ?
Old 07-02-23, 10:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Incorrect as usual. Irrelevant facts.
Old 07-02-23, 10:54 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
NOT medical advice: I'm 75 with some respiratory problems, in Chicago. I rode last week at 275 and 185, and had no problem at all--zero reaction. BUT the warning was for particulates, not ozone (ozone was about as low as usual, and I watch that one carefully, all the time, but if I followed it too carefully I'd never be able to ride), and I wore a well-fit KN95 mask, which should be more than enough for that. On the other hand, the 185 day I also walked two blocks to the store and back, no mask, and was coughing by the time I got home. I also ride with the mask in the winter since it keeps me breathing warm air and cold air can affect my lungs. It's better than a scarf and a lot tidier.

If the problem had been ozone I would not have ridden.

Last edited by mdarnton; 07-02-23 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-02-23, 10:56 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
More turtles.
I have such fond memories of hanging out at the huts below the glacier in the Cordillera Blanca, chilling at 14k, drinking a beer and eating fried chicken. Looking up at mountains bigger than anything I’d ever seen.

I definitely moved more like a turtle than a hare up there but felt unstoppable in Colorado once I returned.

Ill go back. Too many people who are better than me have died in those mountains, and my family is my focus now, not tall places. I’ll just stick to places I can get with only hiking boots.
Old 07-02-23, 11:14 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's impossible to avoid pollution in our modern world, unless you lock yourself into some safety bubble and never go anywhere and do anything...
...this is the true part, where you always begin.

What about all the daily bike commuters who ride in large cities and are exposed daily to smog and exhaust fumes and all manner of pollutants ?.
...this is where you begin to morph into irrational argument. Of course there are daily bike commuters, who are exposed to varying levels of air quality over the course of a year.
I was one of them, and the place I live in has some significant air quality issues at times. So I've ridden in dirty air in the past. It was out of necessity, not choice.

I also worked here for the fire department, so I understand that in the course of my employment, I was exposed to significant levels of toxic smoke. Again, this was not by choice, but out of necessity. If I could have told the people dialing 911 that we soule be there, as soon as the smoke cleared a little bit, I would happily have done so. Instead, I took measures to protect my lungs as best I could, given the circumstances. Some worked better than others, but there's little question most fire fighters, even the ones who start out in excellent physical condition, eventually suffer some loss of lung function and some possible associated cardiovascular decline that can't be accounted for by simple aging.

Once more, I'm all for your free choice to do whatever the hell you want with your two lungs. I did.

I don't hear about thousands of bike commuters dropping dead from pollution, what gives ?

...and, inevitably, here is where we get to the best part in this style of argument. No, you don't hear much about the cumulative damage done, because, indeed, it does not drop people dead in their tracks. Congratulations on yet again, missing the point. Pax vobiscum, sir. I don't need to discuss this with you to know you're mistaken, and it won't benefit either of us, because you are certain in your beliefs.

Other things that do not drop people instantly dead in their tracks, but are still bad for you: excessive radiation exposure, exposure to carcinogens (which vary in toxicity), long term, routine exposure to many pesticides, chronic repetitive stress injuries, various parasitic infections, dietary habits that encourage a variety of systemic illnesses, and arguing with poorly informed individuals on the internet.
Old 07-02-23, 11:19 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...now I feel like I need a cigarette, after that rant.
Old 07-02-23, 11:24 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...now I feel like I need a cigarette, after that rant.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-02-23, 11:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Incorrect as usual. Irrelevant facts.
How do you know that air pollution is the main factor that contributed to their death ?. What about their overall lifestyle and diet ?. Do they smoke, are they sedentary, how's their diet ?... I suspect that the ones who die from air pollution already have existing health issues with their heart and lungs and other health problems.
Old 07-02-23, 11:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

How do you know that air pollution is the main factor that contributed to their death ?. What about their overall lifestyle and diet ?. Do they smoke, are they sedentary, how's their diet ?... I suspect that the ones who die from air pollution already have existing health issues with their heart and lungs and other health problems.
It is a report on peer-reviewed research, which I take more seriously then your off-the-cuff wishful thinking.
Old 07-02-23, 12:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This is the key. You're not going to come back from ONE ride in smokey conditions with Black Lung (also because that's coal dust, not smoke), but over more and more rides, over months or years, the damage adds up.

I won't ride outside if it's over 150 (PM2.5, LRAPA adjustment) anywhere along the route I plan to ride. I don't have any underlying lung issues - no asthma, no CPD. AND I check Purple Air to gauge what's coming over the time I'll be riding.
At our age…
Old 07-02-23, 01:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...except for the things that contribute to chronic health conditions.
Old 07-02-23, 02:15 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Gotta love it when people give their opinions plucked from the air and state it as fact baed. I remember being on a dive boat offshore from Curcao where the teenage boat crew were all smoking and told me that this allowed them to get more dive time per air tank. At their age their ignorance was understandable and excusable. I cannot say the same for adults in the USA.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-02-23, 02:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
At our age…
At our age, we have fewer remaining years in which to accumulate damage. If we were 30 and started riding in smoke, by the time we got to our current age, we'd be worse off than we are now.

Or something...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-02-23, 02:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Baloney. I agree when the air quality index is relatively low, but once it gets high, it isn't a matter of being in shape. Some people are also more sensitive to the smoke than others and it causes them respiratory difficulties. My wife is one of them. When the index was high, I got a sore throat and had difficulty breathing. Not severe, but enough to me annoying.
Drink enough beer and it makes sense, apparently.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-02-23, 07:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Drink enough beer and it makes sense, apparently.
Old 07-02-23, 07:50 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
As a Canadian myself I am not happy with the spate of wildfires that are happening here now. Something to be understood: Canada is a larger country than the USA with about 10% of the population. When forest fires occur we have about 10% of the resources that our neighbours to the south have with a bigger area to cover

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/01/us/ca...ity/index.html
We do our best to fight these fires, but some are in such remote areas that nothing can be done
Old 07-02-23, 08:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I didn't ride for several days last week when the AQI here was 150s-190s, but now it's below 50, so off I go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.