Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Video: Richard Schwinn gives us Waterford tour when I drop off frames for paint.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Video: Richard Schwinn gives us Waterford tour when I drop off frames for paint.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 03:23 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hey guys,
I know a lot of you dont watch videos. But this one might interest you. Richard give us a tour of his shop at Waterford and tells some stories. Its worth a watch..

Thanks
Old 02-16-23, 04:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Tx John

Richard is a true gem, great guy and has always been a great help whenever asked.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-16-23, 05:13 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
The only Schwinn Paramount I’ve ever owned came to me stripped of paint. I arranged with a local painter to get it coated and then saw on Waterford’s site that they could do replacement decals as long as I could confirm its serial #. To do that at this point, I had to call them on the phone. When I did, it was Richard Schwinn who answered the call! That was pretty cool.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-16-23, 05:16 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I got a tour there as well. Really a treat.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-16-23, 05:59 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
@jjhabbs thanks for the video. It was good to see a talk with Richard Schwinn. I'm with you on the Campus Green. That color takes you back. I had to have a Campus Green bike too. That color is/was so special. It looks different in different light conditions and it looks absolutely beautiful in sunlight. I picked up a Schwinn Continental. Then it had to be just right, so it took a few tries to get the paint right. With the chrome and the Flamboyant Campus Green it looks just like I pictured it in my mind's eye.

I'm looking forward to when you pick it up. Even if that doesn't involve a discussion with Richard or the other staff at Waterford. Just picking up on the little details is interesting like "this paint defect wouldn't be allowed now". And how quickly Richard picked up on the re-set rear dropouts on the frame he had in his hand. You can't go to the Schwinn factory to get your paint done, this is better.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-16-23, 06:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Pretty sure Richrd puts his hands on just about every frame that goes in or out of Waterford.

Truly still cares about every frame they build, paint or work on as well as any they and Schwinn did.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-16-23, 07:24 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Well that was chock full of great info. And a Team Mack frame to boot.

Here's a story for you. Back in '77 I was racing a '72 Paramount track bike. I acquired it through a local Chicago racing family. It had a cool Munich Olympics sticker on the top tube. It was a bit large for me but it got me into track racing.

I was hanging with the Doering brothers travelling to races together that year. One Thursday night at Northbrook Lary Doering wanted to give track racing a try. I let him use my bike.. And what happens....he goes down in a crash. The Paramounts fork was twisted bad. I was a bit PO'd. But s*** happens.

Took it into my local Schwinn store to have it sent to Schwinn for repair. A few days later I get a call from the store. Schwinn wants to know how you got this bike. The serial number matches an Olympic issued bike. I told them the person I purchased it from. Everything checked out. Schwinn fixed the fork and did a complete repaint with new decals. Two week turn around.

So what was the bill for this work in 1977?
$75...standard refurb charge at the time.
Old 02-16-23, 07:31 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by big chainring
Well that was chock full of great info. And a Team Mack frame to boot.

Here's a story for you. Back in '77 I was racing a '72 Paramount track bike. I acquired it through a local Chicago racing family. It had a cool Munich Olympics sticker on the top tube. It was a bit large for me but it got me into track racing.

I was hanging with the Doering brothers travelling to races together that year. One Thursday night at Northbrook Lary Doering wanted to give track racing a try. I let him use my bike.. And what happens....he goes down in a crash. The Paramounts fork was twisted bad. I was a bit PO'd. But s*** happens.

Took it into my local Schwinn store to have it sent to Schwinn for repair. A few days later I get a call from the store. Schwinn wants to know how you got this bike. The serial number matches an Olympic issued bike. I told them the person I purchased it from. Everything checked out. Schwinn fixed the fork and did a complete repaint with new decals. Two week turn around.

So what was the bill for this work in 1977?
$75...standard refurb charge at the time.
OH that is an excellent story! For sure. Pretty cool. A whole $75 bucks huh? I know it was worth more then than now. LOL

Thanks

JOhn
Old 02-16-23, 08:49 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Tx John

Richard is a true gem, great guy and has always been a great help whenever asked.
Couldn't agree more. My wife loves her Waterford that has seen many tours and miles. I served with Richard on the board of the WI Bike Fed. His leadership and effort returned a great deal to the biking community.
Likes For debade:
Old 02-16-23, 10:29 PM
merziac

More with Richard.

https://www.cyclingutah.com/uncatego...ford-bicycles/
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-17-23, 01:46 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Thanks for sharing this great video,schwinn's savoir was unrivaled when it came to chroming.
Likes For georges1:
Old 02-17-23, 11:20 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Love your videos John, I'm sorry we didn't get to talk more at Brazen.
Old 02-17-23, 09:58 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Love your videos John, I'm sorry we didn't get to talk more at Brazen.
Are you going to the milwaukee swap?

John Haboush
Old 02-18-23, 05:13 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Are you going to the milwaukee swap?

John Haboush
Sadly, I can't swing it.