Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Why are you a randonneur?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 06:18 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I think permanents are silly. There's definitely way too many RUSA awards too. and some people have tried to get them going up here in Ontario but there's not much interest in them... same with permanents, there's at least as many people that just go out and ride our routes without registering it as a perm, it allows more flexibility and no worries about silly 'credits'. I enjoyed randonneuring more when I was also doing group rides with my local cycling club, instead of just having brevets to focus on.

We did electronic proof-of-passage during covid, and still accept that, but it includes a photo of the brevet card along with a gps recording. When I was an organizer I didn't really care if people submitted their gps tracks or not, but I never had anyone show up without a gps or a phone running strava. My routes are top-notch though, completely rideable with cuesheets that have been matched to the street signs, though it easy to shortcut in southern Ontario as the roads are mostly on a grid, but I prioritise rider safety and scenery over preventing shortcuts.

I was a randonneur for the challenge and riding new roads, then I got into organizing a bit, then I got sick of it, and now I'm not sure if I'll go back to it or not, I resigned from organizing rides, and I have little interest in riding through tornadoes or freezing my bits off in early season rides when it starts snowing... seen too many people get too tired and have bad crashes. If I'm not having fun, I'll just take a DNF. I took a DNF on my last brevet because I cut out a terribly busy section of road through town... someone with a varia counted over 500 cars passing us on a 200k... way too much for my liking.

Last edited by clasher; 01-21-24 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-21-24, 08:29 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Here for the inspiration……

think I would like to do this, by biggest drawback is the scheduled all day rides, (I get it that’s the point) would love to, however with work it seems time is so hallowed, I’ll never get my weekend projects completed.
Old 01-21-24, 10:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm not sure I'm a randonneur any more; I think probably yes but I'm still deciding. I'm a cyclist for life though.

Randonneuring for me has been about discovering that what I thought were limits, actually were not. They were self-imposed. I've found that discovery to be extremely powerful.
When I posted the above I was suffering the post 2011 PBP blues. After that I did some 24 hour races, started an R-12 run, and eased back into it. 3 PBP's later, clearly I'm a randonneur.

I like the headspace I get into on a long brevet. It's a little different than the 24 hour races, I think just because the races are loops over and over, whereas brevets cover ground, require navigation, take me unknown places.

Randonneuring gives me just enough structure and support to put myself into places and situations that I would not do on my own. The time limits demand the very focus that I find so compelling. Since the quoted post I've ridden in France 3 more times, England and Scotland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden. Not to mention multiple states in the midwest, southeast, southwest, and west. 7 1200s total, 1 1500. So many adventures, moments, situations.

If I hadn't stumbled upon rando in 2010, none of those would have happened. Could I have, technically, just gone out and ride my bike 1200km in 90 hours somewhere? Sure. But would I have? No.

Not to mention the camaraderie, the support and inspiration from other randos. The friends and random acquaintances I've made. It's been a hoot.

Clearly some people are put off by rules. Rando is a big tent, but I'm sure it's not for everyone.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-28-24, 06:36 PM
davemd1820

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Got an email notification that this old zombie thread was brought back to life! I'm one of the old zombies! RUSA #6323. I stopped long distance riding in 2019, but carry memories for life. Bonne Route to all who carry the torch!