Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a minimalist seatbag

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for a minimalist seatbag

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 06:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You've made me feel better about my collection.
x2. I'm not feelin so bad now lol
Old 10-21-22, 08:08 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I decided to order the Lezyne Road Caddy and Silca Mattone and keep whichever one I like best. Both seem to have the lowest profile and should hold everything I need. The deciding factor will probably be how easy they are to take on/off and how well they fit everything. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-21-22, 09:02 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I decided to order the Lezyne Road Caddy and Silca Mattone and keep whichever one I like best. Both seem to have the lowest profile and should hold everything I need. The deciding factor will probably be how easy they are to take on/off and how well they fit everything. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Those both look good.

When you try them: Can either one be unzipped enough to pull out some cash without having to remove the bag from the saddle?
Old 10-21-22, 09:18 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My Pearl Izumi small saddle bag is probably 15 years old now. Long since discontinued, of course. I hadn't found anything that I liked to replace it. I'm kind of surprised it's still working okay after all these years.
No velcro on this rear wrap strap, which could detach if it's badly designed. The plastic clamp works great.

Repairs / mods:
Any velcro around the seatpost will fray my bike shorts. So, a long time ago, I cut the sewing and moved the seat strap to be vertical, hand sewing it. The seatpost has a slightly loose o-ring that this vecro fits around. I like it, but it can come loose on big bumps with the velcro getting older -- but that's a minor annoyance.

I glued the strap end clip so that it stays in place now--nice.
I replaced the frayed zipper pull loops a few years ago.
I recently sewed near the strap attachment at the top of the bag-- the threads had broken and the bag seam was starting to come apart.

The bag. Dollar bill for scale.

~~~

My "multitool", and separate cash wrap.

The hex L wrenches are in a square of "rubber membrane roofing", a thin, extremely sturdy rubber for flat roofs. A few slices of old inner tube for the rubber bands.
I like this: I have full size L wrenches, and they don't rattle. I used to also carry a tiny flat screwdriver in here, but never used it. It's a lot lighter and smaller than the folding multitools.
I have the rolled dollar bill in the wrench wrap for a tire boot, but now I have the spare tube wrapped in a piece of Tyvek event ride number (or a tyvek envelope would work). That's a bigger boot, and protects the tube too.

The cash is wrapped on a piece of foam, with a few dimes in a slot in the foam. I like it.

~~~
In the bag: spare tube. CO2 and tiny inflator. Two tire levers. A couple of hand wipes. The tool wrap and the cash wrap. There's room near the zipper end for my car remote fob.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-21-22 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-22-22, 07:01 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Both bags showed up this afternoon so had a chance to try packing them. Wow. They are really small. I tried the Road Caddy first and was just barely able to get everything in there and the amount of force it took to get the zipper all the way closed was more than I was comfortable with.

The Silca Mattone looks about the same inside lenght and width but is noticeably deeper and that allowed me to get everything in there without worrying about blowing out the zipper. It is easy to put on/off the bike except the groove that accepts the boa cable is rubber and the cable has to be forced under the rubber lip making it finicky to get into the groove. Once in the groove, it tightens up nicely. I'm hoping I'll find a trick to that but if not, it's not coming off very often I hope.

BTW, I got a KOM tubeless repair kit. Similar to the lezyne but narrower and lighter. I don't think I could have gotten the Lezyne to fit inside the bag.

Almost forgot. Someone asked if anything could be accessed without removing the bag and I would say no.
Old 10-22-22, 07:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
Both bags showed up this afternoon so had a chance to try packing them. Wow. They are really small. I tried the Road Caddy first and was just barely able to get everything in there and the amount of force it took to get the zipper all the way closed was more than I was comfortable with.

The Silca Mattone looks about the same inside lenght and width but is noticeably deeper and that allowed me to get everything in there without worrying about blowing out the zipper. It is easy to put on/off the bike except the groove that accepts the boa cable is rubber and the cable has to be forced under the rubber lip making it finicky to get into the groove. Once in the groove, it tightens up nicely. I'm hoping I'll find a trick to that but if not, it's not coming off very often I hope.

BTW, I got a KOM tubeless repair kit. Similar to the lezyne but narrower and lighter. I don't think I could have gotten the Lezyne to fit inside the bag.

Almost forgot. Someone asked if anything could be accessed without removing the bag and I would say no.
Yeah, the Boa cable on the Mattone is a bit fussy to get back into the strap groove, but as I said before, I don’t go in the bag but rarely for emergency situations, and even then don’t have to take it off every go-in either. I keep my multi-tool in the the pocket of the Mattone’s lid part, and can slide that out and back in without renoving the bag. It would have made more sense for access ergonomics, I think, for Silca to have flipped the top/bottom orientation so the larger bin part was on the bottom when the bag is mounted so that one could get in there without need to remove the bag.

I do like the materials quality on Mattone; it cleans up quickly and nicely.
Old 10-23-22, 07:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
It is easy to put on/off the bike except the groove that accepts the boa cable is rubber and the cable has to be forced under the rubber lip making it finicky to get into the groove. Once in the groove, it tightens up nicely. I'm hoping I'll find a trick to that but if not, it's not coming off very often I hope.
Over-engineered complexity for its own sake… You would never have that problem with Velcro or with a Voile strap. I have plenty of saddlebags with both attachment types, and they just pop right back on the saddle in a couple seconds.
Old 10-23-22, 07:25 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
After reading through the thread, I'm thinking about something that would sit on top of the BB, possibly attaching to the bottom of the bottle cages. Or maybe something that sits on top of the rear brake bridge.
Old 10-23-22, 02:00 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
i have this and it's pretty cool
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Ha0df32f4...1200&hash=2400
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Ha58ffa0f...1200&hash=2400

is called burrito bag but do not really resemble a burrito..
you can find for cheap on aliex
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 10-23-22, 03:00 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
IAnyone have any feedback on the above bags or have something else to suggest?
Get a small accessory pouch like the ones that Silca or Rapha sell, and stuff your flat kit in there, and then carry it in a jersey pocket. The pouches I'm referencing can easily carry a butyl tube (but one of the TPU type tubes, like Tubolito or Schwlabe Aerothan work better), a lever, and a compact inflator/CO2 cartridge.
Old 10-23-22, 03:40 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I used the Lezyne Road Caddy as well, and it's fine. I have since ditched saddle bags altogether and keep my essentials in my middle rear pocket.
Does your pocket sag very much. I’ve tried it using one tube, two carts, one inflator, dinky multi tool, and two levers and tough I got a lot of “pulling.”

Old 10-23-22, 03:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Speedsleev Ranger. It comes in 3 sizes, 5 different colors, does not attach to the seatpost, and stays in place(no sway). It also uses simple velcro so it is fast to mount or remove and wont fail(like Silca Boa styles used to). The velcro is nowhere close to contacting lycra shorts too, which is important.
I have had this style bag on all my road bikes and gravel bike for almost 3 years now. The large size fits a big 35mm tube, multitool, tire levers, patch kit, chainlink, and co2 inflation.
They are often on sale for under $25.
Ive got one on my Colnago.

Old 10-23-22, 05:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Does your pocket sag very much. I’ve tried it using one tube, two carts, one inflator, dinky multi tool, and two levers and tough I got a lot of “pulling.”
I use middle pocket and have not had any sag/stretch issues.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-23-22, 05:28 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by datlas
I use middle pocket and have not had any sag/stretch issues.
I think that my problem is that I’m short, 170 cm, and my jerseys tend to be long for my torso because I buy them big for my belly.

Anyway, my shorter jerseys seem to work better if I jam the pockets with weight.

Old 10-23-22, 05:36 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I keep the multi tool and flat related stuff in a small saddle bag. The other stuff goes in a small dry bag in the middle pocket.
Old 10-23-22, 07:10 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

I do like the materials quality on Mattone; it cleans up quickly and nicely.
I was a bit disappointed with my Mattone. The biggest issue is that it's not remotely waterproof (everything gets soaked inside) and I find the zip very sticky, especially after a wet ride with plenty of road grime. I had to pull on the zip so hard I expected it to break, but to be fair at least it didn't! I also find the Boa a bit fiddly to hook the wire, but not a big deal.
Don't think I'll buy another.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-23-22, 10:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I was a bit disappointed with my Mattone. The biggest issue is that it's not remotely waterproof (everything gets soaked inside) and I find the zip very sticky, especially after a wet ride with plenty of road grime. I had to pull on the zip so hard I expected it to break, but to be fair at least it didn't! I also find the Boa a bit fiddly to hook the wire, but not a big deal.
Don't think I'll buy another.
Oh really? I’m surprised; although I don’t go into mine often at all, as I said, I do ride in the rain and hose the bike down to clean, but have never noticed the contents to be wet. The zipper looks like a dry zip system as well, and the bag material is obviously plasticized, so yeah, I’m very surprised to hear that you find it “not even remotely waterproof.” I do use a rear fender, so perhaps that’s to do with it…?
Old 10-24-22, 06:45 AM
Koyote

Oh really? I’m surprised; although I don’t go into mine often at all, as I said, I do ride in the rain and hose the bike down to clean, but have never noticed the contents to be wet. The zipper looks like a dry zip system as well, and the bag material is obviously plasticized, so yeah, I’m very surprised to hear that you find it “not even remotely waterproof.” I do use a rear fender, so perhaps that’s to do with it…?
If you rarely open the bag, it is not surprising that you have never noticed that the contents are wet.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-24-22, 07:09 AM
PeteHski

This review below also picked up on the water-proofing (or lack of). As mentioned in the review, it appears to be the lid material that isn't water proof, which is a shame because this is the part that takes the direct spray. I might look into mounting it upside down as suggested in the review, but fortunately I don't often ride in the wet. But apart from this disappointing issue it's a nice bag and the boa really makes it easy to pack tight under the saddle.

On second thoughts the exposed zip is also a major issue. As I mentioned before, once it gets covered in road grime it's virtally impossible to open. I'm pretty sure it was close to breaking last time this happened and I had to clean it thoroughly and lubricate the zip to make it work again. This was after a 160 km wet summer road ride. Not even a hardcore use case. What it needs to avoid this is a flap to cover the zip. I might even put the whole thing in a plastic bag next time!

So it's fair to say I can't recommend this bag based on my experience. Not with these two critical flaws.

https://road.cc/content/review/silca...at-pack-277633

"The other issue was the 'water-resistant' claim. There's no official standard for this, but a reasonable person might expect the Mattone to keep the contents dry even when exposed to spray from the back wheel, given this is where it has to spend its working life. The inclusion of a YKK waterproof zip also raises your hopes. In practice, a 50-mile ride over wet roads resulted in a soggy interior that took 24 hours to dry out."

"The reason, it seems to me, is that while the main compartment is rubberised on the outside, the lid isn't. Since it's the lid that's pointing at the back wheel, it takes the brunt of the spray. Silca shows the pack mounted the same way up that we've done it in our pictures, but wouldn't it be better the other way up? This would also solve the problem of the contents falling out when the pack is opened while still on the saddle."

Last edited by PeteHski; 10-24-22 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-24-22, 08:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

This review below also picked up on the water-proofing (or lack of). As mentioned in the review, it appears to be the lid material that isn't water proof, which is a shame because this is the part that takes the direct spray. I might look into mounting it upside down as suggested in the review, but fortunately I don't often ride in the wet. But apart from this disappointing issue it's a nice bag and the boa really makes it easy to pack tight under the saddle.

On second thoughts the exposed zip is also a major issue. As I mentioned before, once it gets covered in road grime it's virtally impossible to open. I'm pretty sure it was close to breaking last time this happened and I had to clean it thoroughly and lubricate the zip to make it work again. This was after a 160 km wet summer road ride. Not even a hardcore use case. What it needs to avoid this is a flap to cover the zip. I might even put the whole thing in a plastic bag next time!

So it's fair to say I can't recommend this bag based on my experience. Not with these two critical flaws.

https://road.cc/content/review/silca...at-pack-277633

"The other issue was the 'water-resistant' claim. There's no official standard for this, but a reasonable person might expect the Mattone to keep the contents dry even when exposed to spray from the back wheel, given this is where it has to spend its working life. The inclusion of a YKK waterproof zip also raises your hopes. In practice, a 50-mile ride over wet roads resulted in a soggy interior that took 24 hours to dry out."

"The reason, it seems to me, is that while the main compartment is rubberised on the outside, the lid isn't. Since it's the lid that's pointing at the back wheel, it takes the brunt of the spray. Silca shows the pack mounted the same way up that we've done it in our pictures, but wouldn't it be better the other way up? This would also solve the problem of the contents falling out when the pack is opened while still on the saddle."
Ah…I did go take a look at it and had forgotten the bottomside lid part is not the same rubberized material as the upper case, so since I usually run with a fender when it’s wet or rainy, that goes a long way to explain why I’ve never experienced the soaked contents or gritchy zipper issues.

As review you quoted notes, it does seem like a silly design shortcoming, especially since the lid is both padded and lined, which makes me think the inclusion of a waterproof barrier would have been simple to do without needing to mess up the aesthetics of the bag. Also, since Silca note in the description of their multitools that “corrosion is the #1 killer of multitools,” you’d think they be smarter about their bag design since that’s where most multitools live

I’ve been using Mattone for about 2 years, so I guess I can’t say the lack of waterproofness or vulnerable zipper are critical shortcomings for me, but they are definitely shortcomings, and caveats which buyers should be aware of. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-24-22, 08:18 AM
PeteHski

Ah…I did go take a look at it and had forgotten the bottomside lid part is not the same rubberized material as the upper case, so since I usually run with a fender when it’s wet or rainy, that goes a long way to explain why I’ve never experienced the soaked contents or gritchy zipper issues.

As review you quoted notes, it does seem like a silly design shortcoming, especially since the lid is both padded and lined, which makes me think the inclusion of a waterproof barrier would have been simple to do without needing to mess up the aesthetics of the bag. Also, since Silca note in the description of their multitools that “corrosion is the #1 killer of multitools,” you’d think they be smarter about their bag design since that’s where most multitools live

I’ve been using Mattone for about 2 years, so I guess I can’t say the lack of waterproofness or vulnerable zipper are critical shortcomings for me, but they are definitely shortcomings, and caveats which buyers should be aware of. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
No worries. I think this is a rare failure for Silca. You would have thought waterproofing was a basic requirement of an exposed saddle bag.
Old 10-24-22, 09:26 AM
Koyote

No worries. I think this is a rare failure for Silca. You would have thought waterproofing was a basic requirement of an exposed saddle bag.
I dunno. The chaadster once waxed eloquently about his Silca phone wallet's beautiful and ingenious design, and then explained how he had to modify it in order for it to work as intended. And my new Silca Gravelero pump has a rather obvious design flaw that, while not terminal, is a bit irritating in such an expensive mini-pump.