Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 08:06 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Who is JackWad?

"thankx to the idiot that keeps deleting my ad on the 27 in schwinn road bike in orange,,, did a little more research while re posting and found out instead of 120.00 or 150 which I was willing to take on it, it will actually go on ebay for about 350.00 ... thx for the extra 200 CL JACKWAD"

thank you jack wad
Old 11-10-14, 09:09 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
[h=2]I'm fat and want to sell my new bike... because I'm fat - $45 (Whittier)[/h] condition: good

I am a fat tub of goo and bought this bike 9 months ago (with Christmas money) for $150. I thought I would ride it a few times a week and no longer be a fat ass, instead I have probably rode the bike 10 times all year and am still fat.
Please buy it from me so i can use the money to buy nachos and twinkies and shove them directly under my skin.
The bike is in great condition, tires are like new
only serious offers please
Eric
Old 11-10-14, 09:52 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Pretty ambitious asking price! Worth what $450-500 each in excellent condition?

Boys and girls jchiggens bikes. From the 40s. 3,500. Obo.

https://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_f...NQ_600x450.jpg
Old 11-11-14, 06:04 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Color Flow Bikes bring big $

Originally Posted by look566 rider
Pretty ambitious asking price! Worth what $450-500 each in excellent condition?

Boys and girls jchiggens bikes. From the 40s. 3,500. Obo.

https://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_f...NQ_600x450.jpg
Very desireable to the balloon tire crowd of which I am one. I would have no trouble with $450 for the men's bike and maybe $700 to $750 for the pair. Batwing light on the men's bike probably a $200 item. This is all predicated of course on personal inspection that all parts there, nothing broken or replaced with china junk, etc. Where are they?
Old 11-11-14, 07:57 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
Very desireable to the balloon tire crowd of which I am one. I would have no trouble with $450 for the men's bike and maybe $700 to $750 for the pair. Batwing light on the men's bike probably a $200 item. This is all predicated of course on personal inspection that all parts there, nothing broken or replaced with china junk, etc. Where are they?
There in Athens, Ohio.

You missed part of their post verbiage from Craigslist, asking $3500.00 for both!

Link to ad, Vintage bike
Old 11-11-14, 06:23 PM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Your correct on not seeing the actual listing

Originally Posted by look566 rider
There in Athens, Ohio.

You missed part of their post verbiage from Craigslist, asking $3500.00 for both!

Link to ad, Vintage bike
I was just going on the question asking about worth in the previous post! Ift he CL lister gets that I like to meet the buyer. I have a well used World Sport I'll let go for $1750!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-14, 06:46 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
I'm fat and want to sell my new bike... because I'm fat - $45 (Whittier)

condition: good

I am a fat tub of goo and bought this bike 9 months ago (with Christmas money) for $150. I thought I would ride it a few times a week and no longer be a fat ass, instead I have probably rode the bike 10 times all year and am still fat.
Please buy it from me so i can use the money to buy nachos and twinkies and shove them directly under my skin.
The bike is in great condition, tires are like new
only serious offers please
Eric
Beat me to it. Eric the FToG forgot to mention anything about the bike. I'll send a message for more info.
Old 11-13-14, 06:48 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Thrift store gone wild... VINTAGE YAMAGUCHI BICYCLE
I stop by here sometimes. Most bikes are $30-50. Guess they have to pay rent...
Old 11-13-14, 03:11 PM
Bellet

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Klein Pulse

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wat? "This is a $1500 bike and it's going to sell fast."

[h=2]adult men's Schwinn bike w extra wheel - $150 (Se Okc)[/h]
Old 11-14-14, 11:45 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have one. Its a nice ridding bike. I would like to get another one, but I am not sure if this is a good price?

Original Klein-Perfomance
Original Klein-Perfomance - $2000 (west madison)
Old 11-15-14, 07:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I don't know what this guy really has but I don't think it is a 'restored' '86/87 Bianchi with 'time period correct' components. There are lots more pics, but of course none of the right dropout, on his posting. Bianchi 1986/87 Campagnolo Italian Race Bike

1986-87 Bianchi"Reparto Corse" (58cm) Steel, 8 Speed Campagnolo Chorus, Italian themed race bike. This road bike is beautiful and in near perfect condition. I restored this bike in its entirety with my two young boys, while I under-went aggressive medical treatments for Cancer.I think there may be 3 miles on it. It was hung on my wall as a show piece. Everything on this bike is "time period" correct and most things on the bike are new like the Paint, decals, saddle (Concor), Tires (Giro D' Italia) Rims (Mavic CXP 33, Laced with Italian Flag Colors) Handlebars (Cinelli) This bike is just incredible and the pictures hardly do it justice. The water cages (red) are even new,with new Bianchi Water Bottles, If you're a true bike fan looking for something unique to ride, or add to your collection, look no further. My price is firm. It's a steal for $750. The rims/lacework alone were $500. Hurry up! I know this bike wont last long!!!! I wish you all.... Safe & Happy Riding!!!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-15-14, 10:41 AM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I don't know what this guy really has but I don't think it is a 'restored' '86/87 Bianchi with 'time period correct' components. There are lots more pics, but of course none of the right dropout, on his posting. Bianchi 1986/87 Campagnolo Italian Race Bike

1986-87 Bianchi"Reparto Corse" (58cm) Steel, 8 Speed Campagnolo Chorus, Italian themed race bike. This road bike is beautiful and in near perfect condition. I restored this bike in its entirety with my two young boys, while I under-went aggressive medical treatments for Cancer.I think there may be 3 miles on it. It was hung on my wall as a show piece. Everything on this bike is "time period" correct and most things on the bike are new like the Paint, decals, saddle (Concor), Tires (Giro D' Italia) Rims (Mavic CXP 33, Laced with Italian Flag Colors) Handlebars (Cinelli) This bike is just incredible and the pictures hardly do it justice. The water cages (red) are even new,with new Bianchi Water Bottles, If you're a true bike fan looking for something unique to ride, or add to your collection, look no further. My price is firm. It's a steal for $750. The rims/lacework alone were $500. Hurry up! I know this bike wont last long!!!! I wish you all.... Safe & Happy Riding!!!
And he'll probably get his $750.00 for it. I have yet to find an old Schwinn Le Tour in decent condition on Craigslist for less than $200.00, and even saw a "worthless" 2003 Giant ocr3 with an aluminum frame sell for $250.00, in November!
Old 11-15-14, 10:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Am I too honest when I sell something? I that what I am doing wrong?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-15-14, 11:19 AM
MrCoffee

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Am I too honest when I sell something? I that what I am doing wrong?
You're doing nothing wrong at all. In fact, I would rather pay top dollar from an honest seller who did the correct restoration with original or NOS parts. This is because I know enough to realize that repairs cost a lot of money. That $30.00 rummage sale find is usually going to have bad cones, a worn chain, rims that won't true, rusted parts, loose galvanized spokes, and a lot of other problems. It can very quickly become a $300.00 bike if the buyer is not mechanically inclined and capable of doing most of the repairs himself. I know, because I've been through three of these bikes already.

Now, on that Craigslist ad: No, the parts may not be period correct on that Bianchi. But how much are the Campy components alone worth? How about the frame and fork if the bike was disassembled and sold for parts? What about the rims and the hubs? The cheapest new wheel set I found recently at a bike shop for a 700c frame was $300.00, and they go up from there.

Granted, I'm not the brightest bulb on the string, and I would make a lousy flipper. All I know, is that I saw a Trek 330 with that was drewed into a 5-speed for $500.00 at a bike shop. Now where are the deals? Even Goodwill is getting into this flipping business.
Old 11-15-14, 08:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
It's not bicycle related but it IS wacky...........

Probably won't be up long so I copied the text.

You Farted In Hy-Vee Yesterday - m4w

You Farted In Hy-Vee Yesterday - m4w - 31 (sw cedar rapids)
image 1
age : 31 body : athletic height : 6'4" (193cm) status : single

You were the tall brunette that farted in the bread section late last night. I was the tall guy next to you that looked over and asked "Was that you?" You quickly replied "No it wasn't me" You almost seemed insulted I would ask. As the stink grew you continued to deny your flatulence, but it was evident. I tried to get rid of the stench by waving 2 loafs of ciabatta bread around in the air. You proceeded to storm off in an angry manner. You are beautiful and even if you are a liar and fart like a Clydesdale, I'd love to meet you sometime.
Old 11-15-14, 08:45 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
^
Old 11-15-14, 11:52 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ +1000, you need to flag that "Best of craigslist"!!
Old 11-16-14, 04:26 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Premium price + "excellent condition" bent fork + bad touch-up paint on the down tube that got brushed onto the shifters.

[h=2]Bianchi Sport SX men's black 12 speed~brand new tires & tape - $375 (Northeast Minneapolis)[/h]Bianchi Sport SX men's black 12 speed~brand new tires & tape

This Bianchi Sport SX is in excellent condition! It has 2 brand new 700 X 25c tires and brand new handlebar tape. It also has a new chain. It has araya quick release wheels and Suntour components. The crank is Sugino. The gears and brakes have been adjusted and the chain lubed. The wheels are straight. This bike is lightweight and very smooth riding. The frame size is 23 inches. The standover height is 33 inches. It may fit a person between 5ft.9 and 5ft.11. Asking $375.00 cash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00T0T_3mv0eVv0Bc1_600x450.jpg (80.6 KB, 54 views)
00505_7VV39SSQuDT_600x450.jpg (41.8 KB, 46 views)
00I0I_7ASI4jAQhf9_600x450.jpg (46.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-16-14, 06:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by MrCoffee
You're doing nothing wrong at all. In fact, I would rather pay top dollar from an honest seller who did the correct restoration with original or NOS parts. This is because I know enough to realize that repairs cost a lot of money. That $30.00 rummage sale find is usually going to have bad cones, a worn chain, rims that won't true, rusted parts, loose galvanized spokes, and a lot of other problems. It can very quickly become a $300.00 bike if the buyer is not mechanically inclined and capable of doing most of the repairs himself. I know, because I've been through three of these bikes already.

Now, on that Craigslist ad: No, the parts may not be period correct on that Bianchi. But how much are the Campy components alone worth? How about the frame and fork if the bike was disassembled and sold for parts? What about the rims and the hubs? The cheapest new wheel set I found recently at a bike shop for a 700c frame was $300.00, and they go up from there.

Granted, I'm not the brightest bulb on the string, and I would make a lousy flipper. All I know, is that I saw a Trek 330 with that was drewed into a 5-speed for $500.00 at a bike shop. Now where are the deals? Even Goodwill is getting into this flipping business.
Well I don't usually immediately think of what I can I make off of a bike by reselling or parting it out. The basic fact is the seller is advertising it as something it is not. Since the frame was repainted, and the color and graphics are incorrect, and the tubing is now suspect to it origin and quality the frame is useless. More information will confirm this but I am fairly certain this frame is a '89 Taiwanese built frame and the only thing Italian about the bike was the name. What kind of wheels are you talking about? I got a very nice pair of wheels from Bike Island for $130 shipped, Mavic rims and shipmano hubs, not top of the line gear but very serviceable.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-16-14, 07:04 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Well I don't usually immediately think of what I can I make off of a bike by reselling or parting it out. The basic fact is the seller is advertising it as something it is not. Since the frame was repainted, and the color and graphics are incorrect, and the tubing is now suspect to it origin and quality the frame is useless. More information will confirm this but I am fairly certain this frame is a '89 Taiwanese built frame and the only thing Italian about the bike was the name. What kind of wheels are you talking about? I got a very nice pair of wheels from Bike Island for $130 shipped, Mavic rims and shipmano hubs, not top of the line gear but very serviceable.
I'll make the simpler argument that they built this Bianchi into something seriously ugly. The seller wanted all the green, white, and red to shout "Italian," but it just looks like "crashed into a Christmas tree." A classic case of overdoing a theme.
Old 11-16-14, 08:01 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
I have yet to find an old Schwinn Le Tour in decent condition on Craigslist for less than $200.00
Although they aren't on Ann Arbor CL, there are 17 currently listed in metro Detroit, only one is over $200.
Old 11-16-14, 10:36 AM
MrCoffee

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Those are some good observations on the paint, colors, and graphics. I don't like the idea of a repaint unless the frame is rusted and the graphics are totally shot. Then I would have it done to see if I can save what's left to get it into restorable condition. I like to avoid rust buckets when possible.

One question I have would be: Is the frame strait enough to part out, powder coat, and turn into a fixie with minimal graphics? At least then, it would have some purpose. I would only reserve fixie conversions to basket cases, and this one may qualify.

On to the $300.00 wheel set: I got quotes from two bike shops in my area, and the one I saw for $300.00 had the Mavic rims and included tubes/tires. I guess I'll have to look into Bike Island if I do another rebuild.

Last edited by MrCoffee; 11-16-14 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Correct a spelling error
Old 11-16-14, 12:01 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you man enough?

[h=2]Schwinn Varsity road bike for a tall guy - $100 (Spokane Valley)[/h]

This bike is retro-cool and will last you for years if you are man enough to ride it. I am 6 feet tall and can ride it but need to be careful on the mounting and dismounting. The frame is an extra large 26" measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat post. It has 10 speeds and new bar tape and the rear wheel was just trued by the bike hub. It has the original Schwinn rack on the back and I found a Schwinn seat that matches the vintage. I am guessing mid to late 70"s. It is in good condition and the paint is still nice and original blue. Price is firm.

Schwinn Varsity road bike for a tall guy
Old 11-16-14, 01:16 PM
wineslob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Probably won't be up long so I copied the text.

You Farted In Hy-Vee Yesterday - m4w

You Farted In Hy-Vee Yesterday - m4w - 31 (sw cedar rapids)
image 1
age : 31 body : athletic height : 6'4" (193cm) status : single

You were the tall brunette that farted in the bread section late last night. I was the tall guy next to you that looked over and asked "Was that you?" You quickly replied "No it wasn't me" You almost seemed insulted I would ask. As the stink grew you continued to deny your flatulence, but it was evident. I tried to get rid of the stench by waving 2 loafs of ciabatta bread around in the air. You proceeded to storm off in an angry manner. You are beautiful and even if you are a liar and fart like a Clydesdale, I'd love to meet you sometime.

Best/worst pick up line ever.

Old 11-18-14, 01:16 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Optimist of the week:

Two Schwinn bikes for parts or restoration

[h=2]Two Schwinn bikes for parts or restoration - $145[/h]

condition: fair

Both bikes are offered at $145 OBO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.