Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Urban cycling pet peeves... insert here

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 04:22 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

This has happens just too many times.

A car or truck is signalling left. As you pass, it starts rolling. Does the driver see you or is she getting a head start?

Or a car is pulling out from a driveway/gas station/side street... and you are passing by at a rate too slow for their liking. So they get a head start.

99 times out of 100 they see you and mean no harm. But it seems just plain rude to me.

You got a peeve?
Old 06-07-13, 04:29 PM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoym, Trek Varde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting waved through stop signs and red lights...

Yes, I was actually waved through a red light by a person on the green side that stopped to wave me through. People behind him were getting pretty upset and impatient...

I didn't go of course... after a couple honks he finally went through.

I guess it's the thought that counts but I don't like it.
Old 06-07-13, 04:38 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On street parking - or rather how drivers don't realize that the reason I'm in the middle of the lane, is because of on street parking.
Old 06-07-13, 04:51 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a pet peeve for me (whether I'm on a bike or in my car). So, normally when you want to make a left turn, you're not allowed to enter the roadway unless you're able to complete the turn. Which means that it has to be clear both left and right. Here, people who are trying to make a left think it's ok to pull and block traffic to their left until there's a gap to the right to complete the turn. This is similar to your (i.e. OP's) pet peeve, but at least they don't usually pull out unless they can see that the traffic coming will have time to stop.

A couple days ago, a woman combined this pet peeve with another pet peeve of mine, which is putting my life and health in danger. She pulled out right in front of me when I was going about 17-ish mph. Slammed on both brakes, skidded the rear wheel, but managed to come to a safe stop. Her window was open and I was right there. I yelled what popped into my mind, which was "my god, what were you thinking!?" She didn't look at me, flinch, or have any reaction at all that would indicate that she heard me. She just stared straight ahead with a blank expression on her face. Three cars had to pass from her left before she could complete her turn. She did so and we went on our separate ways. Turning it over in my mind, I think it's likely that she was stoned out of her mind....
Old 06-07-13, 05:24 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
This has happens just too many times.

A car or truck is signalling left. As you pass, it starts rolling. Does the driver see you or is she getting a head start?

Or a car is pulling out from a driveway/gas station/side street... and you are passing by at a rate too slow for their liking. So they get a head start.

99 times out of 100 they see you and mean no harm. But it seems just plain rude to me.

You got a peeve?
In the first example do you mean they are pulling out from your right? It could be either way - they didn't see you, or they are trying to get out as soon as possible after you pass.

I think we are seen less than we think. Drivers are looking for other vehicles and may miss us.
Old 06-07-13, 05:25 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by PedalingFool
Getting waved through stop signs and red lights...

Yes, I was actually waved through a red light by a person on the green side that stopped to wave me through. People behind him were getting pretty upset and impatient...

I didn't go of course... after a couple honks he finally went through.

I guess it's the thought that counts but I don't like it.
I put my head down so my helmet visor is blocking their view of my eyes, and wait until they move.
Old 06-07-13, 05:27 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I find it annoying when I am lined up with a few other cyclists at a light, and another cyclist catches up with us and moves to the front of the queue.
Old 06-07-13, 05:35 PM
JMS

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate when they pass about 6 inches away, especially when there are no cars coming in the opposite direction! Just trying to be jerks I guess.
Old 06-07-13, 05:48 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I hate it when, on a residential street, they speed up and try to pass me--less than 50 feet before a stop sign.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-07-13, 05:51 PM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoym, Trek Varde

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JMS
I hate when they pass about 6 inches away, especially when there are no cars coming in the opposite direction! Just trying to be jerks I guess.
That and/or just educated on how to pass a person on a bike.
Old 06-07-13, 05:54 PM
PedalingFool

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
I hate it when, on a residential street, they speed up and try to pass me--less than 50 feet before a stop sign.
Happened to me recently in my own subdivision... had to slam on the breaks or I would have rear ended her. Then she makes a right turn... it was down a dead end street and I was so tempted to follow her.
Old 06-07-13, 05:56 PM
runningDoc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
here in NYC the worst drivers are hands down food delivery guys on small motor bikes (the kind you can still crank if needed). think of the worst things people on regular manpowered bikes do (illegally and/or rudely) and multiply it times a thousand.
Old 06-07-13, 06:13 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
People who throw beer bottles at me, shoot me with a pellet gun or passengers who reach out of the car window and grab my elbow as they pass, trying to pull me down.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-07-13, 06:24 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
People who throw beer bottles at me, shoot me with a pellet gun or passengers who reach out of the car window and grab my elbow as they pass, trying to pull me down.
That hasn't happen to me. That's suck.
Old 06-07-13, 06:59 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had some thug in a car try to squeeze me between his car and a parked car, and when I bellowed at him, he started throwing trash out the window at me, FOLLOWING MY 'ESCAPE ROUTE' as he DARED me to stop and confront him. (Had he not been a dead ringer for the convict in Green Mile, I likely would have...) I put parked cars BETWEEN me and him, and he still kept after me. But DAMN, nobody's tried grabbing me from a car window! Could well have been shot AT by a pellet gun, with the poor marksmanship in the 'hood, and not known it. I DO remember some thug dry-firing his revolver at me six times, calling 'whitey', 'white boy', and 'cracka' as I rode ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE STREET FROM HIS HOUSE....

Sure, life sucks for a lot of people; DID I CAUSE IT, THOUGH? No. So LEAVE ME OUT OF IT, JERKS! That's just my default 'peaceful' reaction.

Since this happens so rarely, I can't call it a pet peeve; I just was reminded of it by Art's post. I think my pet peeve would have to be people who stop, look both ways, then pull out RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, like I don't matter. My new response?: "Go ahead, PULL OUT...like your dad should have."
Old 06-07-13, 07:25 PM
editorque
friction shifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one isn't an endangering thing as much as just a dumb thing: When I've taken the lane for a left turn at a turn signal, and I am all over that signal and get a good jump, in fact, I'm already across, the car behind me still practically goes diagonally across the turn to avoid seeming like it's behind me in the same lane, or like I'm a tractor or a leper or something. For god's sake, just make a regular turn!
Old 06-07-13, 09:47 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
That hasn't happen to me. That's suck.
That does suck.
The worst that's ever been hurled at me was a pound of room temperature butter.
Old 06-07-13, 10:05 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
That does suck.
The worst that's ever been hurled at me was a pound of room temperature butter.
I bet it was margarine. Butter is too expensive to waste on a GD cyclist.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-07-13, 10:21 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Dang, you really do live in Arkansas.

My peeve is when a truck goes by on the rural road to my house and children in the back yell the classic F----t, or to get a car. The adults in the vehicle seem to think its funny and encourage it. Thing is, they live on the same road, and know that I own a car, and that I know where they live!

But probably my biggest gripe in town is tourists on Harleys. Stop at a stop sign with a group of them behind you, and they will crowd around you to get in front. During motorcycle rallys they are probably the biggest source of chucked beer bottles or spit. And it seems that often a group will turn out onto the road en mass regardless cutting a cyclist off, just like they hate a car doing to them... Happened the other day when a rider wearing a vest that read, "can you see me now *******" blocked traffic so that twenty or so others could pull out as a group, making me lock them up. He saw me before he pulled out. When they trailer them into town they are often not very experienced with pulling a trailer, so that's led to a couple of close calls, when they turn left in front of a cyclist. Oh, and it was a guy on a Harley that pulled a side swipe and run, leaving me with a broken collar bone.
Funny thing is, was talking to another local cyclist the other day and he made it sound like I love Harley riders. I was actually defending them a bit his dislike is so intense, as I realize that not all are that bad and its a hobby or way of life to some.
Old 06-07-13, 10:38 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Streetcar tracks.
Old 06-08-13, 05:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I hate to be drafted by groups of road racers, this has happened to me on the weekends in the suburbs when club riders are out in a full swing.. I also hate it when cyclist pass me within a touching distance and then those same cyclist complain about cars passing them too close.. Also cyclists who pull out of sidestreets without looking if anybody is coming...
Old 06-08-13, 05:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Jared.
Streetcar tracks.
With 300 KM of street car routes in Toronto and 75 KM of tracks, I can understand why it's a pet peeve for a lot of cyclists. Especially when they're wet.

Last edited by wolfchild; 06-08-13 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 05:51 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
With 300 KM of active street car tracks in Toronto, I can understand why it's a pet peeve for a lot of cyclists. Especially when they're wet.
300 K! I envy you. We've only got 2 K . I have no problem crossing the tracks. As long as you do it at the right angle, it's a breeze.
Old 06-08-13, 06:45 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Ekdog
300 K! I envy you. We've only got 2 K . I have no problem crossing the tracks. As long as you do it at the right angle, it's a breeze.
It's actually 300KM of routes on 75 KM of tracks..Sorry I should of been more clear.
Old 06-08-13, 06:48 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Love this one, then we waited at the stop sign for 30 seconds and i put my hands up like "what was the point of that?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.