Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Resources to help a newbie get up to speed for multi-day touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 02:06 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I've been a cyclist for decades. I ride 7,500+ miles per year. I have ridden the Dirty Kanza 200 and I occasionally road race, time trial, and do relay triathlons. But I have never done a multi-day tour . . . not even just an overnight. It occurs to me that I don't even know what I don't know about touring.

I'm going to ask my experienced touring friends for lots of advice and guidance on the subject, but I would also like to do some independent homework. Do you know of any resources . . . books, guides, websites, videos . . . that would help a newbie get up to speed on multi-day touring? To some extent, I'm trying to figure out whether this is something I really want to do. (I'm in great shape for the cycling part, but I haven't slept outside in decades.) Is there such thing as "Multi-Day Bicycle Touring for Dummies?"
Old 10-25-17, 02:17 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Is there such thing as "Multi-Day Bicycle Touring for Dummies?"
If there is I should have probably read it before I started.

I think if you are smart enough to fix a bike then you are smart enough to figure out how to read a map and camp.

The only real mistake beginners make is taking too much stuff.

Take a credit card. You can get out of most situations with a credit card.
Old 10-25-17, 03:03 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Search youtube for "bicycle touring" - there are thousands of videos, equiptment reviews, "what I take" lists, as well as travelogues.

This guy has put out a pretty comprehensive set of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bicycletouringpro/videos
Old 10-25-17, 03:30 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
You might start here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/foru...read_id=484142 (mistakes beginning bike tourists make) at crazyguyonabike.com

I'd also suggest my website: biketouringtips.com
Old 10-25-17, 04:43 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
You might start here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/foru...read_id=484142 (mistakes beginning bike tourists make) at crazyguyonabike.com[/URL]
THAT ...was an entertaining read! Thanks!
Old 10-25-17, 04:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Already an experienced leave no trace, no open fires , Camper? (I grew up in the Boy Scouts in the late 50's)

You are just riding your bike from one campsite to another and enjoying seeing the countryside in between..
Old 10-25-17, 05:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
I suggest taking a peek at this Canadian couples website. They rode around the world about 10 years ago and set up this website, Traveling Two

Start Here: Our Top Bike Touring Resources | TravellingTwo: Bicycle Touring Around The World

this page is with their publications, one free one, "bike touring basics", and a reasonably priced larger one, "bike touring survival guide". Both have good tips and overview of what sort of stuff to expect, equipment wise etc, and they have links to other inspiring publications that will at the least, might ignite the adventure seeking person in you.

as already noted, you can easily do credit card trips to see if yoiu like it, you only need a couple of panniers with basic clothes and spare tubes, pump etc etc and staying in cheap motels is easy, no tent to set up, personal shower, etc and you can see if you actually enjoy traveling by bike.

as you ride a ton of miles per year, the physical aspect will be a no brainer. Just be aware that even with two panniers, and maybe a handlebar bag, you wont go as fast as unloaded, and lower gearing will be appreciated, and daily distances will be less--try it, you will see if you like it.
Old 10-25-17, 05:35 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
I think if you are smart enough to fix a bike then you are smart enough to figure out how to read a map and camp.

The only real mistake beginners make is taking too much stuff.
All of this. I read a lot before my first credit card trip. I read a lot before my first camping trip. Outside the utter basics, it was mostly all a waste, common sense and a couple 1-2 day shakedown trips taught me far more.

Reading only teaches you someone elses trip. That may or may not work for you, don't get too hung up in how others experience life.
Old 10-25-17, 06:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
my 2 cents would be to make sure you have a mattress you can deal with and a warm enough sleeping bag. the rest you'll figure out as you go.
Old 10-25-17, 07:51 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you haven't slept outside in decades, I would start there. Do you know anyone that goes camping? Bum some equipment, load up the car and go camping. Don't go buy a bunch of stuff for the bike (or a touring bike) and find out sleeping outside is not for you.

I was backpacking thousands of miles before I bought a bike after almost a couple decades of no riding. I had the camping part figured out.

"I'm going to ask my experienced touring friends for lots of advice and guidance on the subject"....Good start and that's free. No need to buy a book unless you have $$ to burn.
Old 10-25-17, 07:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
If you haven't slept outside in decades, I would start there. Do you know anyone that goes camping? Bum some equipment, load up the car and go camping. Don't go buy a bunch of stuff for the bike (or a touring bike) and find out sleeping outside is not for you.
very good point. Heck, you could even borrow some camping stuff and see how you like it.

or not, and just do motel to motel trips biking, if you really think you like the idea of exploring an area and traveling by bike.
Old 10-25-17, 09:29 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
If you haven't slept outside in decades, I would start there. Do you know anyone that goes camping? Bum some equipment, load up the car and go camping. Don't go buy a bunch of stuff for the bike (or a touring bike) and find out sleeping outside is not for you..
I vote this as well. You probably have tons of experience with all the riding aspects (mapping, traffic, weather, exploration, sightseeing, etc). I think REI rents backpacking gear, perhaps applying some of that cost toward purchases. In addition to campground car camping, I would highly advise some secluded solo backpacking/wild camping which is the real test... and for me one of the beauties of cycle camping. You can access campsites that can't be reached by motor vehicle, yet also cover ground that is too far to walk. (Heck, get into folding-bike/ultra-compact/multi-modal touring and then you'll really be able to hop around).
Old 10-28-17, 03:16 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
You're being Way too serious/thinking Way too hard about this. You're an experienced cyclist. You're an adult. Grab a backpack(you might need to find a cheap overnight sleeping bag this time of year to fit in a backpack). Grab your bike. Put a tent and some food in the backpack and ride to a nearby state park. Preferably find a friend who'd be up for camping for a night/weekend. Do that a few times. You'll quickly start to figure out what you need to tour. I swear I'm not over simplifying this. An experienced cyclist spending just a few nights in the woods will Quickly figure things out.
Old 10-28-17, 05:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
https://www.adventurecycling.org
Old 10-28-17, 08:14 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Do some short weekend trips. One or two nights. You’ll learn a lot by doing. But don’t decide right away if camping is for you or not. Over the years I’ve gotten more and more comfortable in a tent, so much so that I now actually sleep better than in a bed. On my last trip, I slept so late that I was the only one left in the campsite when I woke up at 10. There had been a dozen or so tents that night.

Flat ground, decent 2 person tent, ear plugs, nice air pad, inflatable pillow, pee bottle and appropriate sleeping bag is all I need for a good night’s sleep. Also, a lock on the bike so I don’t have to worry about it. Nice weather helps, too.
Old 10-30-17, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...to-department/