Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help finding a bike after surgery

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Help finding a bike after surgery

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 03:27 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by feldy0084
I appreciate the responses and opinions. I totally understand the complexity of the initial question as well and how it may be hard to give a "blanket" answer based on my situation. Just to clarify- I am not looking to rush into buying anything, but am simply looking to gather information from people with experience. I am also not asking for medical advice, as I have plenty of that I understand that working in conjunction with medical professionals is the safest and most secure thing to do. As I move forward and progress into more activity with less restriction, I am always conscious about asking them what is best for my particular situation. The situation that one poster has in Pittsburgh sounds very cool, but I don't know any physios or docs here who offer a similar service...something to ask around about though.

I just figured someone could make general recommendations to the extent of-- "no, those bikes are designed for X and it sounds like you want to do Y" or "yeah, those are all great options, but for your experience level, there are cheaper options which could be just as functional and comfortable." As an analogy--I am a tennis coach and if you told me you were in the market for a racquet, had some elbow issues, and gave me some basic info about yourself, I could give you GENERAL suggestions for a grouping of frames that may suit your needs and not kill your wallet. For example, there might be 5 frames from 5 different manufacturers that are relatively similar in build and quality and would help accomplish your goals. Bikes seem to be much more complex, but I guess that was the idea of the question!!

As far the last poster asking about touring goals, I would like to bike from Minneapolis to Duluth (approx 150mi) when able to do so. I am currently riding in the city daily, but just bike around town "as tolerated."

Truly appreciate everyone's input! Just trying to learn and gather info!
Welcome to BF!

Are you comfortable on upright bikes? If I had hip and pelvis problems, I would surely be riding an Easyracers Tour Easy Classic, or a Bachetta Bella.
Old 08-03-18, 04:09 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
I do not know if the hip surgery has put any limitation on your bike mounting ability. One thing to consider is if you get into loaded bike touring, it is common to end up with stuff piled (in some cases quite high) on the rear rack. I think that it would be helpful to establish what standover height will enable you to put your foot over the top tube, as apposed to swinging your leg over the back of the bike. I suggest a frame in the smaller size range, where you have 10" of seat and post sticking out of the frame!
As I get older I find it much more difficult to mount a straight bar bike. Funny no problem if there are no bags. I guess it has to do with the width of the bike with the bags.

Yet another thing to consider.
Old 08-03-18, 04:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Under normal circumstance, no it isn't asking for medical advice . Asking what types of bike I can ride after a major surgery is medical advice. Who knows if a certain bike / configuration is going to do more damage or not? No one can answer that except a trained sports therapist or doctor.

This is the same as the question of how many miles should I ride when I am starting out and I am not physically active. Any advice on that is irresponsible without the person first getting clearance from a doctor.
Applying the same logic would shut down the whole bike nutrition sub-forum.

I joined Bike Forums the week I was confined to my bed on advice from my surgeon. There is nothing wrong with asking questions and setting goals for recovery. If nothing else, it gives him something to go back to the doctors with, in terms of specific questions.

One thing I wanted to find out is if I would ever be able to clip in again. My doctor said no. Bike people (here and on mtn bike forum) provided a variety of case histories that turned out to be better informed than my doctor's advice. (I can clip in now, BTW, but have to release by twisting inward for some reason.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-03-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 04:28 PM
feldy0084

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info and thanks for the comments. To answer some of your questions: my hips barely hinder me at all. No trouble getting on/off and currently can easily do 8-10mi around the city paths with little issue. My ankle is the limiting factor at the moment..lack strength and mobility in it, mostly going up hills. I am using a very old, Specialized hybrid commuter bike that is a 21 speed. It is my dad's and doesn't seem very comfortable to me at all. I am not sure how shops do demos, but someone mentioned that and that seems like a great idea. Before my surgeries, I was doing ultra endurance type of stuff, like climbing 6000m mountains and trail running extensively, so I do have a very strong fitness base and background in endurance sports. As I mentioned, I would love to start small and if my body keeps growing stronger, have a nice bike that I can keep a long time that is a "jack of all trades"...and could have the potential to do something wild like a cross country ride. The "credit card touring" sounds like one thing that I would like, but I also love camping and have all the gear, so combining both would be cool. I have learned a fair amount about bikes by asking question and looking on websites in the past few weeks. But, I don't think I would have a shot in the dark of knowing the difference about things like different parts or materials... and therefore won't be able to really identify if I am buying "too much bike" or should splurge on certain things. For example, I can look the specs on the two bikes like a Surly Crosscheck and Long Haul Disc Trucker and see the price difference, but don't entirely understand all the differences in materials/build/etc. I do see they are built for slightly different purposes and that the things like brakes/wheel size, chain length, etc may be different. But, I don't know what that all means in a practical, real life setting...and if I would be able to tell much of a difference between that and a solid used bike off Craigslist. Or, when you look at two similar bikes from different manufacturers, is it personal preference??

As far as the medical stuff, again, that's not my focus-- it's like a double amputee asking me how to climb Rainier. I am not going to say go get healthy and climb it. I'm just going to say it's darn tough and list different equipment that may work well for someone looking to climb a mountain like Rainier. Saving money on a sleeping bag and boots might help your wallet, but it also may get you killed. Sorry for all the analogies ha! Just don't know much about bikes!

Thanks again
Old 08-03-18, 05:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I suggest getting the best bike you can afford. Use some of that money to get a professional fit. Getting a bike that fits is far more important than anything else. (You can always change the gearing, etc, but if the fit is poor, it makes everything much harder. Everyone has a different idea about comfort. For me, it is a steel frame customized to my measurements, a carbon fork, stem and bars, hydraulic disc brakes, electronic shifting, a wide range of gearing, 38mm wide Compass tires, Brooks B17 saddle, etc. But those things might not be right for you. Typically, touring bikes are made of steel (or sometimes aluminum) and tend to be heavy, robust, and in some cases not very much fun to ride, so trying before you buy is extremely important. I had a 1990 Trek 520 for many years, which was a great all-around bike as well as touring bike, and fit me well. I finally gave it away.

I ordered a custom (steel framed) bike while I was still unable to walk, and was fitted for it the week I stopped using crutches after breaking my ankle and having surgery on it. Regaining full range of motion and strength takes a long time. It was almost 3 years until I could stand up on the pedals and really hammer. Since you are younger and fitter to begin with, it should be easier for you.

Spend some money on really good shoes. Not just bike shoes, but every-day shoes.

Walking on sand at the beach is very hard but it can really help a lot. I did not do this nearly enough.

I used a balance board in physical therapy and eventually bought one for home use, but I should have bought it immediately. This thing really helps with extending range of motion:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't rely upon biking to extend your ankle's range of motion; it isn't enough. You really need to do these other things, which I learned the hard way. As our governor used to say, "No pain, no gain."

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-03-18 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 07:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just don't know much about bikes!
Maybe go to a few bike shops .. ?
Old 08-03-18, 07:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
You can get a decent used bike for a couple hundred dollars. I'd do that and ride for a while to gain a better idea of what you really want to do. The bikes you mentioned are nice bikes and would suit the purposes you describe, but I think if you spend a little time in the saddle you might get a better idea of what would work best for you.
Old 08-03-18, 08:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Most touring bikes serve double duty for commuting and touring quite well, and I have even had some guys on heavy touring bikes leave me behind on group rides. Find a bike shop that will let you do extended demos on a few bikes. That's probably the best way to find one that doesn't aggravate your injuries. I have had far too many orthopedic surgeries and need more. Bicycling is about the only exercise I can get. I love it too. It is mind clearing and therapeutic. You are young. You will probably heal very well. Hang in there!

I apologize for the rude welcome you got. Every forum has a few people with the sense of diplomacy of a drunk badger. You were unfortunate enough to encounter one right out of the gate. Hang around. On balance this is a great sub-forum within the best bicycling forum on the internet.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-04-18 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 08:54 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
..... My ankle is the limiting factor at the moment..lack strength and mobility in it, mostly going up hills. I am using a very old, Specialized hybrid commuter bike that is a 21 speed. It is my dad's and doesn't seem very comfortable to me at all....

...Before my surgeries, I was doing ultra endurance type of stuff, ...do have a very strong fitness base and background in endurance sports.

.....I also love camping and have all the gear, so combining both would be cool.....
adding my anecdote....i had heart surgery almost ten years ago, valve replacement. was doing marathons, bike touring in mountains up until the week before. being in good condition (other than the valve) helped speed up recovery. back on the bike after a month, did a century after two, biked china-thailand after six, then a marathon at ten months. YMMV.

was riding a large-frame diamondback mountainbike with 20-25 pounds of gear (no camping). upright position was comfortable with less stress on the sternum, low gearing for mountains.

you might consider a mountain bike with a rigid fork if the sitting position works for you. switch to bald or semi-slick tires for road use, or a light shoulder-knobby profile for maintained trails. a sloping top tube will reduce strain on hips when mounting.

as your ankle and hills are your limiting factors now, be sure to get some ultra-low gears. a triple with 20-32-40 and a 9-spd rear 12-34 or 12-36 will give you low enough gears you can easily get up long, steep hills without standing.

start slow with credit card touring. just carry the minimum. check the bikepacking rigs popular nowadays with the kids to cut weight. you can always add racks or a trailer next year when you decide to start camping.
Old 08-03-18, 10:46 PM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a thought, try reading some touring blogs. Crazyguyonabike has hundreds, some hard to read, some very entertaining with people riding all kinds of bikes in lots of different types of tours. Everything from across the county to around the world, sometimes more than once.
Old 08-09-18, 07:22 PM
feldy0084

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A week later and I got to demo a bunch of bikes and go down way too many internet rabbit holes researching everything! The demoing was really eye opening. With my hip, it seems like it is MUCH more comfortable to be in a more upright position for longer periods, instead of leaning over and impinging my hip. The drop bar bikes seemed uncomfortable because of this, except for one of them. Guy at the shop was awesome and said it may be better to get a bike with "a short top tube and tall head tube, giving longer stack and shorter reach." Also took the recommendation of one poster here and also tried some MTB Touring bikes. All the Surly bikes in this category seemed like I was reaching way too far on them...a bit like riding a chopper motorcycle..Didn't really like any of them, but the other ones they said to come back and try were the Cross Check and Ogre. They also said they could fit them with "Moloko" bars and change the stem height with spacers a bit to play around with things. They did ride comfortably though...just a weird fit.

Wondering if anyone could add any more suggestions based on this or just even have any general comments?? I was very happy to do this and learn more.

Drop Bar:
Salsa Vaya Tiagra (55)- was only 1 of 2 drop bar bikes that felt comfortable. It seemed to ride really well and the brifters were cool.
Masi Giramondo 700c/27.5- Both rode nicely. Didn't seem too bent over..maybe bit more than the Vaya, but very subjective.
All-City Space Horse- maybe a less comfortable version of the above two bikes that I can only describe as dull. Felt like I craned my neck up to see the road.
Kona Sutra LTD/Rove- Just did not vibe with these. Felt very uncomfortable and heavy.

Flat Bar:
Surly Bridgeclub- Thought it rode well and seemed fun, but the reaching position seemed very uncomfortable...like some of the uncomfortable drop bars.
Surly ECR- A bit out of my price range and just felt like "too much bike." Huge tires and felt like riding through thick soup. Relatively comfortable though.
Salsa Marrakesh (Medium)- Felt like a tank...kind of like on a beach cruiser. Felt like I was really reaching far on this bike too with the geometry.
Old 08-10-18, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A bike, basically, is a frame and fork , everything else is interchangeable parts..

you can change any of those component parts , to improve the fit to meet your personal requirements...

Add accessories, and so forth.. you don't have to leave it as it came out of the shipping carton..

a 'Reach too far' is a parts change for shorter. like the stem..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-10-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 04:20 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would like to bike from Minneapolis to Duluth (approx 150mi) when able to do so.
Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a great idea. Think about the Paul Bunyan trail someday also! I rode the Willard Munger trail from Hinckley to Duluth last week. Also went riding around your town hitting a few breweries.

I'll look forward to seeing you out on the road/trails some day.

I ride a Surly LHT which works for my purposes.

Jon
Old 08-11-18, 07:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Drop Bar:
Salsa Vaya Tiagra (55)- was only 1 of 2 drop bar bikes that felt comfortable. It seemed to ride really well and the brifters were cool.
I have a custom bike with rather similar geometry, and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.

As for mountain bikes, you can get ones with shorter top tubes that are designed to be used with drop bars.

One example, similar to what I have, is the Salsa Fargo:
https://www.rei.com/product/124177/s...val-1-275-bike

Also, women's frames sometimes are designed that way.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-11-18 at 07:13 AM.