Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Cog position in dropout

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Cog position in dropout

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 07:21 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Cog position in dropout

Does my cog look too far back in the dropout? This one is a 17t, the 16t I run sits even closer to the end of the dropout. Should I replace a full link in the chain with a half link?

Dave
Old 01-11-24, 08:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with what you've got. You could go another 1/4" back with no issues if you wanted. (Sounds like you already have with the 16 tooth cog.) Possible considerations - you may prefer a more compact rear end to the bike that will skid less when climbing out of the saddle on slippery surfaces. Or like the quicker feel when cornering with the wheel forward. On the other hand, you may like the generous clearance between tire and seat tube and the ease of getting the chain off to pull the wheel out.

The bike absolutely doesn't care where that wheel sits as long as you have enough track end to clamp properly with the nut.

I'd probably remove a "link" (inner and outer pair) and slide the wheel forward 1/2" - unless I had thoughts of also using a bigger cog to go up a hill. There are 1/2 links (male at one end, female at the other) that shorten the chain just 1/2" and move the hub 1/4". As far as I know, these are all for 1/8" chain, not 3/32". I cannot tell which chain you are running.
Old 01-11-24, 09:29 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't see anything wrong with what you've got. You could go another 1/4" back with no issues if you wanted. (Sounds like you already have with the 16 tooth cog.) Possible considerations - you may prefer a more compact rear end to the bike that will skid less when climbing out of the saddle on slippery surfaces. Or like the quicker feel when cornering with the wheel forward. On the other hand, you may like the generous clearance between tire and seat tube and the ease of getting the chain off to pull the wheel out.

The bike absolutely doesn't care where that wheel sits as long as you have enough track end to clamp properly with the nut.

I'd probably remove a "link" (inner and outer pair) and slide the wheel forward 1/2" - unless I had thoughts of also using a bigger cog to go up a hill. There are 1/2 links (male at one end, female at the other) that shorten the chain just 1/2" and move the hub 1/4". As far as I know, these are all for 1/8" chain, not 3/32". I cannot tell which chain you are running.
Thanks, wanted to make sure my setup was still safe. Been running that 17t for a while, don't really have the power to push the 16t up hills at the moment. I think I want a quicker feel on cornering, will probably swap out a full link with a half link. Does it matter where the half link is on the chain? (Does it need to be connected to the quick link, or is that just my OCD?). Lol. Think I can still swap between the 16 and 17 with the half link? I don't swap very often, but options are always welcome.

It was interesting about what you said with having the wheel further in on the track end. I hadn't really thought about how it was effectively changing the wheelbase.

Dave
Old 01-11-24, 09:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Thanks, wanted to make sure my setup was still safe. Been running that 17t for a while, don't really have the power to push the 16t up hills at the moment. I think I want a quicker feel on cornering, will probably swap out a full link with a half link. Does it matter where the half link is on the chain? (Does it need to be connected to the quick link, or is that just my OCD?). Lol. Think I can still swap between the 16 and 17 with the half link? I don't swap very often, but options are always welcome.

It was interesting about what you said with having the wheel further in on the track end. I hadn't really thought about how it was effectively changing the wheelbase.

Dave
Doesn't matter at all where you put it. I'd keep it away from the quicklink simply to avoid re-driving the same link many times. I don't worry about more than once but I do my best to keep the number down.

Pulling the wheel forward won't have any issues when you swap to the 16. You've just taken further from the end. It's on the 17 that a too short chain makes getting enough slack to derail the chain and get the wheel out harder. (If you shorten the chain, try removing the wheel before you go for that ride. Otherwise you might find you cannot remove the wheel to repair a flat without the chain riveter you left at home.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-20-24, 01:24 AM
mauin1x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shouldn't be in the middle of the fork ends/dropouts?
Old 02-20-24, 06:56 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by mauin1x
Shouldn't be in the middle of the fork ends/dropouts?
Depends upon if you want to "change gears." If you have a flip flop hub and use different size cogs or freewheels, you need to account for the space to take up the chain slack or to give enough slack, respectively.
Old 02-28-24, 06:29 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
I don't see an answer to what chain width you're running.
If you use 1/8" chain, Izumi makes a half link with a screw nut attachment.
You could dispense with the quick link.
Old 02-28-24, 06:48 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by bironi
I don't see an answer to what chain width you're running.
If you use 1/8" chain, Izumi makes a half link with a screw nut attachment.
You could dispense with the quick link.
And if you want a half link for 1/8" chain anywhere in the country, go to a hardware store. 1/2" x 1/8" chain is an industrial standard. The pin might be clevis and cotter like you would see on a sailboat but it will both work and be even more secure.
Old 02-28-24, 07:11 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And if you want a half link for 1/8" chain anywhere in the country, go to a hardware store. 1/2" x 1/8" chain is an industrial standard. The pin might be clevis and cotter like you would see on a sailboat but it will both work and be even more secure.
I've seen that option mentioned before.
Never tried it because the hardware store variety looked so clumsy.
Functional, yeah, cheap, yeah, aesthetic, no.
Old 02-29-24, 10:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The axle position in the dropout is determined by the chain and your gearing. As long as the axle is fully within the slot (and yours is), it'll be fine. If you change your gearing to a smaller sprocket and/or chainring, you'll need to shorten the chain.