Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electric Shifting - maybe not so relaible?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Electric Shifting - maybe not so relaible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 03:48 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I expected this thread to be a disaster, but there's a stunning level of reason here....
...that didn't last very long, now did it?
Old 07-23-13, 03:50 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I do. They are sneaky...remember Pearl Harbor?
May be inappropriate but this had me laughing so hard...hilarious.
Old 07-23-13, 04:09 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The PDK is always quicker around the track. The PDK is such a clear performance advantage, Porsche is going to make the Turbo S, as well as the GT3 only with a PDK.
The percentage of Porsche owners who race there cars (not just take them to the track but race them) where this would actually make a difference is extremely small. I suspect it's more to do with the lower skill level required with PDK. Same reason automatic transmissions have always been more popular in NA.
Old 07-23-13, 04:11 PM
NWS Alpine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RT
The minute pros and racing come up, the argument has already been made. This is a product for people to whom thousandths of a second matter. There is nothing more Fredly than electronic shifting on a weekend club ride or anything other than a professional race. May as well take your Porsche Cayenne down to the weekend races at the local track for the smash-up derby.
I feel the opposite. DI2 is the perfect option for the weekend warriors. The same guys who can't change a flat or lube their own chain. They don't have team mechanics ready and waiting to check and tune their mechanical cables. Let the process be somewhat automated and idiot proof. It will get better and cheaper. In a few years everything in the performance road category will be electronic.
Old 07-23-13, 04:36 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-23-13, 06:08 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
That should have been on the back of the 41 jersey's they just made
Old 07-23-13, 06:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
...that didn't last very long, now did it?
No, no it didn't. Now it's a mess.
Old 07-23-13, 06:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by danmc
So the NSA will start mocking my low avg. speed numbers?
My workouts on Garmin Connect are already public. They can post them on Times Square for all I care.
Old 07-23-13, 06:16 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ahhh fff it, electronic shifting on a bicycle is dumb and best suited for people with little mechanical apptitude. its the bicycle equivalent of a back up camera in your car. can't you just turn your head around and look? its a novelty technology probably engineered just to make more money....let the flaming commense.
Old 07-23-13, 07:24 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So there's been, what, 3 pages of posts in this thread without one single reference to the original topic? Ah, the 41...
Old 07-23-13, 08:21 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
ahhh fff it, electronic shifting on a bicycle is dumb and best suited for people with little mechanical apptitude. its the bicycle equivalent of a back up camera in your car. can't you just turn your head around and look? its a novelty technology probably engineered just to make more money....let the flaming commense.
Mechanical shifting is dumb and best suited to luddites. It's the bicycle equivalent of the vinyl LP. Inferior in every way to the replacement technology but eternally treasured by self-deluded retro-grouches....beat that!
Old 07-23-13, 08:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
The percentage of Porsche owners who race there cars (not just take them to the track but race them) where this would actually make a difference is extremely small. I suspect it's more to do with the lower skill level required with PDK. Same reason automatic transmissions have always been more popular in NA.
When you buy a performance sports car and PDK is an option, you would be foolish to not get it. It outperforms the manual in every aspect. I don't think skill level has much at all to do with it because most enthusiasts that spend that much money on a car know very well how to use a manual.

In my case, I drive my car every day and commute in one of the most congested spots in the country in DC. The best I've gotten from a clutch is 45,000 miles.
Old 07-23-13, 08:37 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
When you buy a performance sports car and PDK is an option, you would be foolish to not get it. It outperforms the manual in every aspect. I don't think skill level has much at all to do with it because most enthusiasts that spend that much money on a car know very well how to use a manual.

In my case, I drive my car every day and commute in one of the most congested spots in the country in DC. The best I've gotten from a clutch is 45,000 miles.
Lower maintenance cost and ease of driving in rush hour are decent reasons for an automatic. The higher performance, however, seems irrelevant since very few are racing. Having 400+ hp is also somewhat pointless but at least it's fun. I'm not convinced PDK is more fun than a manual.
Old 07-23-13, 08:47 PM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven

The point is that to those who love driving a manual (me included) it's just not about performance. Yeah, a PDK may outperform it if the skill of the driver is equal and you are pushing the car the limit but I doubt you're doing that in that DC commute; I know I'm not in my suburban Philly commute. I drive a manual because I enjoy the process. While my current ride is pretty darn quick ('13 WRX), I enjoyed the shifting aspect of my '97 318i (0-60 with a sundial) just as much when I had it. BTW, I drove that car 200k on one clutch.

Regarding the original post, it's obvious that electronic shifting is going to be more reliable than mechanical and it's counterpart as far as technology is concerned in a modern car is the ECU, not the transmission type. However, you're not a retro-grouch if you prefer to stay mechanical. Mechanical shifting is more than good enough on it's own for most riders. As for me, I'll go to it when the price drops a bit and I see more overall benefit from it.

Last edited by knobd; 07-23-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 09:28 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Mechanical shifting is dumb and best suited to luddites. It's the bicycle equivalent of the vinyl LP. Inferior in every way to the replacement technology but eternally treasured by self-deluded retro-grouches....beat that!
Electronic shifting is a government agenda to track cyclist(little GPS chip implants in Di2). The big oil companies lobbied for this. Once everybody converts they will use the tracking devices to drone strike every last one of our kind.
Old 07-23-13, 09:48 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elduderino2412
Electronic shifting is a government agenda to track cyclist(little GPS chip implants in Di2). The big oil companies lobbied for this. Once everybody converts they will use the tracking devices to drone strike every last one of our kind.
Good one!
Old 07-23-13, 10:24 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfspeed
your mother was hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries! but yeah, its not my money so really, spend it how you like. but ill kindly opt out. 'murica!
Old 07-23-13, 10:53 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
your mother was hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries! but yeah, its not my money so really, spend it how you like. but ill kindly opt out. 'murica!
No! This is the 41. You must bend to my will and be browbeaten into agreement!
Old 07-24-13, 07:09 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fart in your general direction!!!!
Old 07-24-13, 07:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
That doesn't explain why the GT3, which is specifically intended for the track (80% of owners race them or drive them on the track) is only available with PDK.

Porsche has determined PDK offers clear performance advantages.

Originally Posted by knobd
The point is that to those who love driving a manual (me included) it's just not about performance.
I get that. I've always driven a car with a manual transmission, until now. (the 911 replaced a Boxster S with a 6 speed manual) And for fun, and engagement, particularly, not on the track, for me a manual is more fun. Although I think you'd be surprised how nice driving with
the PDK is.

Bringing this back to Di2, I think it's very analagous. Modern dual clutch transmissions definitely perform better than manual. However, there are reasons some people still prefer manual's even though they give up something in performance.

Likewise electronic bike shifting performs better than mechanical, but there are reason's that some people still prefer mechanical.

For cars, we're past the point that you can argue manual performs better. For bikes, we're close to passing that point if we haven't.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-24-13, 07:37 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And just to tie it all back together, I have no desire for a PDK (or similar) transmission, but money is the only reason I'm not running Di2. Can't wait until the premium drops even more. I hate futzing with cable tension.
Old 07-24-13, 07:43 AM
Icculus21

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matthewk459
What DSG were you driving? The DSG in my e92 M3 was good for almost a second 0-60 in car and drivers tests and the shifting was sublime while being blindly fast. Ferrari California uses the same transmission as the M3. The PDK in the 911 is almost scary intuitive, and in manual mode, like 1/100th of a second slower that an F1 box? I can hardly imagine any benefit of a manual.
VW GTI - Don't get me wrong, the DSG definitely performs better - in the GTI it returns better mileage and better acceleration. But my point is (IMHO) the performance gains are measureable with test equipment, but negligible in REAL WORLD driving, and I personally enjoy shifting. That's all, to each his own!

BTW - the BMW SMG's are not dual clutch, and they've always got horrible reviews compared with other automated manuals and DSG's (not trying to bash, just sayin...). But at the end of the day it's all personal.
Old 07-24-13, 07:48 AM
Icculus21

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I own a 911S (991) with PDK and have driven identically equipped 911's on the track back to back, one with 7 speed manual, and one with PDK.

While there's a certain fun factor in rowing your own, there's just no doubt the PDK is a better performer.

just don't try to sell us that it performs better.
Not once did I say that a manual performs better than a DSG. I agree with you and I know DSG's perform better, and I know that's why most sports cars like Ferrari, Lambo, and even McLaren are moving exclusively towards DSG/automated manuals. And if one prefers a DSG or automatic over a manual, then that's fine.

My point is simply that I PERSONALLY prefer a manual because just like shifting. And also in REAL WORLD driving the performance benefits are not nearly the same as when the car is on the track or hooked up to test equipment. And you'd have to admit that most people with these types of sports cars are not track racing. Therefore, although in track performances and equipment-measured testing a DSG will score higher and can be used for bragging rights, the differences are diminished/negligible in real world driving and I enjoy the involvement of a manual.

No argument here, just my preference.
Old 07-24-13, 07:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
^ and that's why I think the dual clutch transmission is actually a good analogy for Di2.

Both perform better than the traditional systems they replace, but for reasons other than pure performance, some people will prefer the traditional approach.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-24-13, 08:09 AM
matthewk459

Bikes: Sott Scale 29er, Specialized SL3 Roubaix, Colnago C59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icculus21
VW GTI - Don't get me wrong, the DSG definitely performs better - in the GTI it returns better mileage and better acceleration. But my point is (IMHO) the performance gains are measureable with test equipment, but negligible in REAL WORLD driving, and I personally enjoy shifting. That's all, to each his own!

BTW - the BMW SMG's are not dual clutch, and they've always got horrible reviews compared with other automated manuals and DSG's (not trying to bash, just sayin...). But at the end of the day it's all personal.
That is 100% wrong.. Since 2008 they have been DSG (or by their internal name Doppel-Kupplungs-Getriebe or M-DCT). The E46 M3 from 2001 to 2006 had SMG, and only the first two years of that sucked before they got it right in the following years. It couldn't have been that bad considering "In 2009, Road and Trackmagazine announced the 2006 M3 with the SMG transmission as its favorite sports car of all time."

I had a 2012 GTI DSG to haul my bikes around on before I got the X6. Loved that little car, the DSG in the GTI was good, but not great, oddly enough the programming in the Audi A3 which uses the same transmission was much more crisp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.