Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

27" full fenders

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

27" full fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 03:52 PM
vw02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27" full fenders

So i have fenders now, these

They work great for rain but now that its winter, i get a ton of snow/salt right in my bottom bracket area. I've come to the conclusion that full fenders will save my bottom bracket a little more effectively area to rusting/corrosion.

I have 27" wheels with very very small tire clearance and no fender eyelets. I plan on using some sort of p-clip. I'm worried that the 700c full fenders will be a little small and cause some tire rub since full fenders have a little less adjustability.

I'd like some sort of stainless or silver fenders, much like the ones found here:
https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...s/fenders.html
Im worried about the tight tire clearance.....

any suggestions/experiences?

-Thanks!
Old 12-05-10, 05:20 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
in most cases, fenders designed for 700c can be adjusted to fit 27" wheels, provided you have enough width for whatever rubber you're running....

-rob
Old 12-05-10, 07:52 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Those fluted aluminum fenders on sale for $26 look nice, and there was a recent thread about them. The SKS and similar polycarbonate fenders are also nice...about $20 a pair when you catch a "special". I would just worry about snow build-up between the tread and fenders. May need to clear it every now and then when you are out riding, but that's if you are riding in extreme conditions where you may have other things on your mind. Probably want to get the widest fenders you can get away with. That's IMHO.
Old 12-05-10, 08:21 PM
ewmyers

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just put the VO 45mm stainless steel fenders on a bike with 27" wheels and 35mm tires. The poorest clearance was at the seatstay bridge, but this was an issue of the frame, not the fenders. It worked out fine in the end.
Old 12-05-10, 08:30 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
you shouldn't have any problems stretching the radius of a 700c fender a few mm to fit a 27" wheel. i and many others have done it, it generally works.

as for lack of fender eyelets, that also shouldn't be a problem. just use P-clamps, like this:

Old 12-05-10, 09:30 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Just so you can have an idea of whats on the other side of the fence, I bought the 700c VOs and tried my best to intall them, but no matter what I did the end result really sucked. Thats just my side, seems everyone else that tried to slap a set of 700c VO or Honjo fenders on 27 inch wheels have done well. I'm in the minority so I guess my best wasn't good enough.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve