Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 05:16 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Rear wheel removal

Hi folks. I have one bike that is absolutely a bear to take the rear wheel off for some reason. I suspect the chain is too long but not sure. When I shift to smallest cog to remove wheel the cassette gets almost parallel, so I have to lift that, at the same time try to pull the wheel out so as to not get all bogged down, I once hooked the chain and apparently opened a link enough to break a chain 6 miles into a ride, long walk back. Is there another cog I can shift into, like the biggest, and safely remove the wheel? Thanks
Old 01-09-23, 06:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
I'm wondering what the chain is catching on that's causing so many problems. Is it possibly hanging on a fender eye screw protruding beyond the drop out?

In any case, I suspect trying to remove the wheel with the chain on the largest sprocket but cause more problems than it solves.

You might try your luck using the 2nd to smallest sprocket, because that improves clearance near the drop out. Be sure to pull the derailer back and out of the way so the wheel can drop forward of it and you should have no problem.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-09-23, 07:18 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
Hi folks. I have one bike that is absolutely a bear to take the rear wheel off for some reason. I suspect the chain is too long but not sure. When I shift to smallest cog to remove wheel the cassette gets almost parallel, so I have to lift that, at the same time try to pull the wheel out so as to not get all bogged down, I once hooked the chain and apparently opened a link enough to break a chain 6 miles into a ride, long walk back. Is there another cog I can shift into, like the biggest, and safely remove the wheel? Thanks
First task is to figure out what is hanging up. It might be as simple as needing to pivot the rear derailleur back a little to get the upper pulley out of the way of the cassette cog. Until you can figure out what is hanging up, we can't really help.