Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Any Winter Cruiser Projects?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 02:25 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

Here's mine. Schwinn Cruiser 5, I believe possibly a '98 model from the head badge.

Bike was abandoned outside at a neighbor's house for years but frame had surprisingly little rust. I sanded and repainted the frame Lexus silver and fork black. Paint job is DuPont ChromaSystem (etching primer/surfacer/seal/base/clear), not perfect but not a rattle can job, either!

Wheels are 700c Weinmann ZAC 19 double-wall rims. Sachs/Sram 3-spd rear hub. I'm converting the bb to the euro 3-pc (I already have a crank). I have a couple pairs of tires (35 and 37) but I may go to 40s, haven't decided yet. I also have quite a collection of leather saddles for it (Brooks B66, Conquest, B17, B15 and some other off-brands) so I'll have to make a decision there.

I guess I'm trying to go for the old-skool "dirt track racer"/"rat rod" style so I'll have to find a h/bar for it yet. It didn't come with fenders so that might be an option, too (probably not cruiser fenders since it's rockin' 700 wheels). Beyond that I'll just need the usual stuff for it (chain, bb, brake calipers, seat post).

Pics aren't that great but you get the idea. I'll post better ones as the project nears completion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Schwinn _cruiser 001.jpg (93.0 KB, 30 views)
Schwinn _cruiser 003.jpg (22.8 KB, 23 views)
Schwinn _cruiser 004.jpg (30.9 KB, 25 views)
Schwinn _cruiser 005.jpg (26.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by smurfy; 01-05-14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 07:14 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks promising.... keep us posted. I have at least 2 winter cruiser projects, but i take foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr on my builds, so.... at least the truck'll likely be done before spring....
Old 01-06-14, 07:47 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I was down at the LBS the other day...

There were several promising bikes in the used bike sales rack, haven't pulled the trigger on anything...yet.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-27-14, 02:30 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
building up a drifter1. so far a disc brake fork, road drops and a not so fat ass seat on it. has deeo vee swift arriv wheel that came from a mongoose xr250 i used to have. I want a back wheel from a Onyx 29er. sort of a rat rod, dirt track, cafe racer thingy.