Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

After 15 years, I"m done buying Trek bikes...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

After 15 years, I"m done buying Trek bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 06:49 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
To some degree, if a top-line Project One bike looks crappy after 4300 mi, is that the image Trek wants to project on their top-line stuff?
My sentiments exactly. Trek is obviously OK with this.
Old 07-30-10, 06:55 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye
I purchased a Trek 1.2 at a Trek LBS and I thought I would be purchasing my next bike at BikesDirect strictly for the value. But based on my customer experience and how well the store has treated me I would purchase another Trek through them instead.
My LBS has been great as far as I'm concerned. It's Trek themselves that seem to not be too customer centric. I have zero issues with the shop.
Old 07-30-10, 06:56 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Trek lost me @ 'Bontrager'.
Old 07-30-10, 07:04 PM
OhioBuckeye

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle17
My LBS has been great as far as I'm concerned. It's Trek themselves that seem to not be too customer centric. I have zero issues with the shop.
yea my post wasn't directed to you directly. Just providing another Trek experience.
Old 07-30-10, 07:12 PM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Trek lost me @ 'Bontrager'.
Truth!
Old 07-30-10, 07:23 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
Back off tough guy, I've worked in a body shop and restore cars. I'm just politely pointing out that surface prep for metal and carbon are very different.
[thread drift] My apologies -- I didn't intend to come across so abrasive. I, too, have done some restoration work; you still in the restoration business? [/thread drift]

Yes, preps are different. My overall point was that carbon fiber does not preclude a crack-free paint job.
Old 07-30-10, 07:46 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I looked at the Madone while shopping around for the Cervélo. I was really surprised at how much the pushed the P1... They didn't even seem interested in moving floor stock. I was asking questions and the guy told me to go home and design a bike. I found it odd.
Old 07-30-10, 08:06 PM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Five pages in, and still no picture of the OP's issue. But if what we are talking about here is a crack in the paint where the lugs meet the tubes, this is an old OCLV problem that goes back to the mid 90's. I remember that as my 98 5000 got older, those seams just started to show up. I particularly remember the seam on the mono-seatstay above the rear brake was perfectly visible when the frame got older - the whole frame looked seamless when it was new. At the time, I saw lots of other (original round-tube) OCLV bikes with similar issues.

Eventually, my 5000 developed an issue where the aluminum sleeve for the BB separated from the carbon frame itself, and Trek sent me a 2003 5500 frameset as a replacement. I still have that bike, and honestly the paint on it looks like hell. It seems like it scratches if you just look at it. But considering it was a free replacement for a bike I got in the 90's, I can live with a few scratches.

I guess it all just comes down to your expectations. Some people on this thread seem to equate carbon Treks with Mercedes and Lexus. I just never thought of Trek that way - but then again I never laid out $5-6k on one either. I see Trek as a working man's race bike - made for speed and not for looks. Tools not jewels as a friend of mine used to say.

Also, someone on this thread said Project One is a new thing for Trek. I am pretty sure that has been around since the early 2000's. I distinctly remember P1 OCLV's from the pre-Madone days, so P1 has been around long enough for Trek to get the paint right.
Old 07-30-10, 08:56 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorden Gekko
This is why I only buy European bikes and vehicles.
I have yet to find a VW that doesn't need a window regulator @ about 90K miles. Japanese cars almost never break.
Old 07-30-10, 09:14 PM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen

6.X Madones (especially P1's) are cash cows for Trek. I'd think that they'd treat it as a sacred cow.

Trek, are you listening?
Really? You really think that?
Old 07-30-10, 09:16 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have yet to find a VW that doesn't need a window regulator @ about 90K miles. Japanese cars almost never break.
and a broken cat converter
Old 07-30-10, 09:17 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have yet to find a VW that doesn't need a window regulator @ about 90K miles. Japanese cars sometimes don't brake.
fify

My daily attempt at being humorous.
Old 07-30-10, 09:20 PM
7bmwm3gtr

Bikes: Trek 2.1, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS is great. They sell Treks.

It's a good thing they sell Cervelo too!

After 2009, I stopped liking Trek. Don't get me wrong, I love my Trek 2.1 but after all the stuff I hear about Trek, plus the mainstream factor, when I upgrade, it'll be a different company.
Old 07-30-10, 09:22 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Japanese cars almost never break.
I love my 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SLE (80K miles, runs like a top), but to stay OT, this thread is curiously balanced on page 1 of this forum by a Trek Luv thread.

Yin/Yang.
Black/White.
To Be/Not To Be.
Data/Lor.

I've gone too far again.
Old 07-30-10, 09:27 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 7bmwm3gtr
My LBS is great. They sell Treks.

It's a good thing they sell Cervelo too!

After 2009, I stopped liking Trek. Don't get me wrong, I love my Trek 2.1 but after all the stuff I hear about Trek, plus the mainstream factor, when I upgrade, it'll be a different company.
The colors on your blog make it hard to read
Old 07-30-10, 09:30 PM
igomez70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
You purchased an entry/mid level bike, this is just par for the course here.

The Madone is known as the "poor man's Pinarello". You get what you pay for.
As an current owner of a series 6 madone and 2 custom made high end bikes and previous owner of several high end bikes including Pinarello, Serotta and Parlee I can tell you with confidence that I disagree, despite the issues. It's a great ride compared to anything in my opinion
Old 07-30-10, 09:38 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
After reading this, I am glad that I am very happy with my bike, which has no paint
Old 07-30-10, 10:21 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
It's in the warranty for a reason. If they bend the rules for one guy, the whole world will want free paintjobs.
Forget the "rules" for a moment Do you believe the customer should be satisfied given the description of the situation?
Old 07-30-10, 10:39 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
Forget the "rules" for a moment Do you believe the customer should be satisfied given the description of the situation?
I don't forget the rules and I learn the rules before droppng a ton of money so there is no hypothetical question. Like I posted after the quoted statement, if I had a ton of money and the mfgr didn't offer what I wanted, I wouldn't buy the product from the start. If I did and it was not clearly stated in the warranty that it would NOT be replaced, I would not complain about it or expect something to which I am not entitled. I read the fine print before dropping my money.

Like I said, I had a chance to drop 3 grand on a custom frame. The mfgr did not offer the warranty I desired to satisfy my dough, so I passed on the deal. That simple!

Someone mentioned earlier that I'm usually smart, but not in this matter. Is it I that feels shafted? Nope! Never would have happened to me from step one. If I wasn't ahppy with the one year paint warranty on a special project paint job, I never would have taken the risk with my cash.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 07-30-10 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 10:55 PM
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
i'm still waiting for pics... this seems kinda silly.
Old 07-30-10, 11:27 PM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeddlingPilgrim
i'm still waiting for pics... this seems kinda silly.
Wow, I can't believe I wasted 30 minutes of my life reading this thread and hoping it might go somewhere.

However, I won't be suing BikeForums for my lost time, because back when I signed up for my account and saw that it came with no warranty whatsoever, I took it as a given that the "product" would disappoint me eventually.
Old 07-30-10, 11:47 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I don't forget the rules and I learn the rules before droppng a ton of money so there is no hypothetical question. Like I posted after the quoted statement, if I had a ton of money and the mfgr didn't offer what I wanted, I wouldn't buy the product from the start. If I did and it was not clearly stated in the warranty that it would NOT be replaced, I would not complain about it or expect something to which I am not entitled. I read the fine print before dropping my money.

Like I said, I had a chance to drop 3 grand on a custom frame. The mfgr did not offer the warranty I desired to satisfy my dough, so I passed on the deal. That simple!

Someone mentioned earlier that I'm usually smart, but not in this matter. Is it I that feels shafted? Nope! Never would have happened to me from step one. If I wasn't ahppy with the one year paint warranty on a special project paint job, I never would have taken the risk with my cash.
I hear you. Would you say that you take this position for all high ticket purchases? You would not be upset or seek any "assistance" from a retailer or manufacturer for failure or degradation of any part of a product after the warranty period has ended for any product that you own, for any product that you have ever owned or for any product that you can imagine owning in the future?

Suppose you bought a $60,000 BMW -- let's assume that you deem this as high ticket -- and the leather rear seats, which were rarely used, started to degrade significantly in some way (e.g., crack) one day after the warranty had ended for that part? And let's assume you cared for the car properly. I'm guessing that the warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles for a BMW. Warranty details or not, this does not meet the quality expectations of a BMW were this to happen; and I would not expect BMW owners, on average, to see this as acceptable. Are you saying that you would be fine with this and that you would not go to the dealer or contact BMW? Now, if this is not a fair comparison, please say so and I'll accept that. But -- I will believe you -- I would find it hard to believe that you would think "oh well, I knew the warranty was for 4 years; it is now 4 years and a day; oh well, my poor BMW; well, got to get to work now" or something to that effect.
Old 07-30-10, 11:48 PM
bostongarden
meow

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pocky
Wow, I can't believe I wasted 30 minutes of my life reading this thread and hoping it might go somewhere.

However, I won't be suing BikeForums for my lost time, because back when I signed up for my account and saw that it came with no warranty whatsoever, I took it as a given that the "product" would disappoint me eventually.
Actually, you are getting more value than you could have ever imagined
Old 07-30-10, 11:54 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wanders
I'm getting this looked at tomorrow. It's a '08 5.2. I just noticed it last weekend.

For the record, I've never adjusted anything on the FD.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Here is the pic for you losers that missed them on page 3.....

It is more of a bulge than a crack and he is having it inspected at LBS tomorrow for cracks in the tube.

Last edited by Hunt-man; 07-30-10 at 11:55 PM. Reason: verb
Old 07-31-10, 12:11 AM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks more like a decal sliding under a FD that has the wrong torque on the bolt than a "crack".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.