Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does this bike have a French or Italian style BB

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 05:07 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts

Does it have a French or Italian style bottom bracket where the right side cup is also a normal threaded instead of reverse threaded. The frame says made in Germany on it. The brand is Mundo Cycles.

Last edited by grant40; 10-29-22 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-29-22, 05:33 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Whichever it is, it'll be the reverse of what's in the photos.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 10-29-22, 08:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Mundo is a Brasilian marque AFAIK

the bulge-formed head may be an Agrati item which does not necessarily mean Italian origin

the ESGE plate style seat stay bridge and the seat stay treatment are consistent with a German product

the front hub of the wheel in the background looks like it may be a WECO which is also consistent with a German product

a German cycle will be constructed to BSC standard so neither metric nor Italian

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-31-22, 09:49 AM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Mundo is a Brasilian marque AFAIK

the bulge-formed head may be an Agrati item which does not necessarily mean Italian origin

the ESGE plate style seat stay bridge and the seat stay treatment are consistent with a German product

the front hub of the wheel in the background looks like it may be a WECO which is also consistent with a German product

a German cycle will be constructed to BSC standard so neither metric nor Italian

-----
That's what I thought before using a huge wrench to accidentally tighten the piss out of it when it ended up being standard threatened on both sides like a French or Italian bike. Wtf.
Old 10-31-22, 10:23 AM
juvela

-----

readers might be able to give additional information with the aid of further imagery

also a measurement of tube diameters might advance the inquiry

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-31-22 at 10:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-31-22, 11:04 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Doesn't Brazil have a German population that came over after WW2? So "German" made but not in Germany. Pure speculation here but I'd guess an Italian BB. But I'd also start removing it with real care, using every trick I know to pre-loosen it and do as little work as possible to not further tighten it if it's English/left hand thread. (This would also open the possibility of non-German text on labels, etc. Being German might not be a great selling point. And few potential buyers would be able to read it.)

Another approach - see if you can find what BBs were brought into Brazil around the time this was made. Good bet that locally available stock would make a big difference on the builder's choices. (Yes, 3rd world pre-internet! Facts may be scarce.)
Old 10-31-22, 11:49 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Doesn't Brazil have a German population that came over after WW2? So "German" made but not in Germany. Pure speculation here but I'd guess an Italian BB. But I'd also start removing it with real care, using every trick I know to pre-loosen it and do as little work as possible to not further tighten it if it's English/left hand thread. (This would also open the possibility of non-German text on labels, etc. Being German might not be a great selling point. And few potential buyers would be able to read it.)

Another approach - see if you can find what BBs were brought into Brazil around the time this was made. Good bet that locally available stock would make a big difference on the builder's choices. (Yes, 3rd world pre-internet! Facts may be scarce.)
-----

grant40 writes that the frame has "MADE IN GERMANY" written on it

possible that this Mundo marque may be unrelated to the Brasilian one

it might be a house brand for a distributor or chainstore for example and the actual manufacturer may be one of the major German ones

additional photos and measurements might be of assistance here...

-----