Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well that was a learning experience

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 05:13 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 186 Posts

I finally got out to ride today. The path around a local lake has a lot of up and down, sharp curves and several humped bridges with posts at each end and 90* turned before or after. It isn’t a place for high average speed but it’s close. It’s a good 6 mile loop.
There is a climb near the end no matter which direction you ride but one direction the climb is a little steeper. I did one lap in each direction and save the steep climb for last. I was getting a little tired and wasn’t thinking about anything but getting close to finishing. That climb hit me hard and I had to walk it up the last 50-60 yards. When I got to the top and got on my bike I realized that I had left the front derailleur on the big ring. I have been leaving it in the high range and it’s no problem going the other direction but this direction definitely needs the lower gear range.
Betcha I remember next time. 😎
Old 04-09-24, 07:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 3,344 Posts
In a month or so of regular riding, you'll be able to do it with no issue in the big ring. It's supposed to rain here for the next few days.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-09-24, 07:33 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I finally got out to ride today. The path around a local lake has a lot of up and down, sharp curves and several humped bridges with posts at each end and 90* turned before or after. It isn’t a place for high average speed but it’s close. It’s a good 6 mile loop.
There is a climb near the end no matter which direction you ride but one direction the climb is a little steeper. I did one lap in each direction and save the steep climb for last. I was getting a little tired and wasn’t thinking about anything but getting close to finishing. That climb hit me hard and I had to walk it up the last 50-60 yards. When I got to the top and got on my bike I realized that I had left the front derailleur on the big ring. I have been leaving it in the high range and it’s no problem going the other direction but this direction definitely needs the lower gear range.
Every week I meet a small group of senior men (70 +/-) for two laps of the 8 mile scenic loop at Saguaro NP. There are some 8% grades, one of them long. There's usually one guy who forgets to downshift, and everyone laughs.

One guy just started riding a couple years ago, and he laughs at the hills now. He says he thought they were mountains when he started.

Last edited by andrewclaus; 04-09-24 at 07:49 AM.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 04-09-24, 07:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3272 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,192 Posts
There was a cycling pro in the 80’s, Sean Kelly or Stephen Roche, or somebody, who was known for his climbing skills, was asked his secret to ascending - “I put it in the big ring and spin”. Or something to that effect.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-09-24, 07:57 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
In a month or so of regular riding, you'll be able to do it with no issue in the big ring. It's supposed to rain here for the next few days.
I sometimes complain about this trail but the more I think about it the more I realize this might be a good training route.
Old 04-10-24, 06:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
Yeah, it's a nice surprise and boost to the ego to realize you've been in a higher gear than you thought. It's happened to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-10-24, 06:51 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by noglider
Yeah, it's a nice surprise and boost to the ego to realize you've been in a higher gear than you thought. It's happened to me.
Someone here a while back said I should stay in the big ring most of the time unless climbing. I sorta forgot that last part.
I used to ride in the small ring. Either way I tend to cross chain. The lake trail I ride has me constantly changing gears.
Old 04-12-24, 07:32 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
When I were a lad, about 65 years ago, it was considered a bit wimpy to get out of the big 52T ring while riding in hilly SW England. We rode 52/42 with a 6 speed rear cluster (no cassettes then). In winter we converted to fixed, usually 69 gear inches or 82 for 25 mile out and back hilly TTs. I never broke the one hour; best was 65 minutes (with asthma for company&#128522.
Nowadays I’m not ashamed to use a bit of e-assist, usually 50W, to get me and my failing lungs up from 12 mph to 15.
Old 04-12-24, 07:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
the only ppl that don't make mistakes are ppl that don't do anything
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-12-24, 09:14 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 447 Posts
Someone here a while back said I should stay in the big ring most of the time unless climbing. I sorta forgot that last part.
I used to ride in the small ring. Either way I tend to cross chain. The lake trail I ride has me constantly changing gears.
All fine and dandy if you're riding solo all the time. If at any time you're riding in a more 'sportive' group, versatility in gearing becomes a must.
Adding a sizable distance length to your 'normal' ride distance is always accomplished with less grinding of teeth, with judicious use of all your gearing.
This may not apply in Florida or anything flatter - until you have to bore for miles on end into a 12+ mph headwind...
That said, 'Big Gear' Intervals (note I haven't said Big Ring) are great in the tool bag of a time/mileage constrained rider...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-12-24, 11:29 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by cyclezen
All fine and dandy if you're riding solo all the time. If at any time you're riding in a more 'sportive' group, versatility in gearing becomes a must.
Adding a sizable distance length to your 'normal' ride distance is always accomplished with less grinding of teeth, with judicious use of all your gearing.
This may not apply in Florida or anything flatter - until you have to bore for miles on end into a 12+ mph headwind...
That said, 'Big Gear' Intervals (note I haven't said Big Ring) are great in the tool bag of a time/mileage constrained rider...
Ride On
Yuri
The trail I ride often has a lot of small up and down areas plus obstacles requiring me to slow then turn sharply or climb. I am always changing gears. I have been staying in high range, but I generally ride in the opposite direction. I just had a brain fart. You can bet I won’t forget next time.
My bike is a 2013 Specialized Roubaix Comp. I have no idea how it’s gearing compares to other bikes. I do know it has 2 gears that are almost the same.
Old 04-20-24, 10:25 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Every week I meet a small group of senior men (70 +/-) for two laps of the 8 mile scenic loop at Saguaro NP. There are some 8% grades, one of them long. There's usually one guy who forgets to downshift, and everyone laughs.

One guy just started riding a couple years ago, and he laughs at the hills now. He says he thought they were mountains when he started.
What day of the week do you do that? I will still be in southern AZ for a couple more months…
Old 04-20-24, 10:59 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 360 Posts
This post belongs in the "Geared bikes or single speed?" thread.
Old 04-20-24, 11:17 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
This post belongs in the "Geared bikes or single speed?" thread.
???
Old 04-20-24, 11:32 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 360 Posts
???
Not serious. I was referring to the thread debate about merits of single speed. You unknowingly trying to climb on the big ring, is so analogous to a SS having the same difficulty, it's points for the other side.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-21-24, 01:32 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Not serious. I was referring to the thread debate about merits of single speed. You unknowingly trying to climb on the big ring, is so analogous to a SS having the same difficulty, it's points for the other side.
Ya got me!😄
Old 04-21-24, 07:04 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
What day of the week do you do that? I will still be in southern AZ for a couple more months…
PM sent.