Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 03:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,830 Posts
I think in the world of imaginary sock puppet sparing partners, I prefer the Feynman creations.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-11-23, 03:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,533 Times in 1,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think in the world of imaginary sock puppet sparing partners, I prefer the Feynman creations.
He was a genius, but he could write stuff that even i could understand.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-11-23, 03:54 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,680 Times in 789 Posts
Just so everyone knows, I save my shrimp tails.

Old 03-11-23, 04:01 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You think funny.

Speed is good.

So is capitalism.

Success is defined individually, on our own personal terms.

Just because my recumbent is much faster than Rydabents and faster than probably anyone's upright bike, does not make it an excess.

I am glad you like your old bikes. I still have mine but rarely ride them because the new ones are light years better and would not have been made without capitalism. You think funny

Originally Posted by beng1
Great thread. I agree 100% that most on this forum worship speed, high-end equipment and light weight as a yardstick for measuring all of cycling equipment and riders too.

I have always loved going fast on bikes since I was five years old, I think it is natural to want to go faster than walking if you are on a bicycle or a horse etc.. But most have lost their perspective on cycling and most other things. I believe it is the society based on predatory capitalism and it's consumerism, which always defines success as more, more more, and as excess. If a little speed is good more must be better, the more something costs must mean it is better, and the lighter a bike is, because it is a function of it's higher price and helps going up hills faster, it must be better too.

I only bought one new bike ever, early in 1997, my MTB, and I love it, but it will be my last new bike absolutely. I love my four road bikes too, three of them are from the 1970s and one is from 1985, and the initial purchase price of all four is $63.

Lately I have been a zone-2 rider, where you can still speak a sentence while riding, but it is a chore and you need a breath or two between your words or sentences. I would not be against entering a race in my area, but I am interested to see how fast I can go without leaving the zone 2 exertion level, which seems to be the best balance between physical fitness and exercise and speed.
Just as I am interested in zone-2 speed, I am also interested in how fast my old bikes can go, not in how fast I can go on carbon-fiber, multi-thousand dollar junk that they peddle to the public now. I like the bikes I grew up with since the 1960s, they are great bikes and all I will ever need.
99.999% of riders are not interested in racing and are not pros making money with their riding, so the common-sense thing for them to get out of their rides is fun and relaxation along with a bit of exercise.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-11-23, 04:19 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A vast number of threads on this forum would make everyone think that speed is the holy grail of cycling. I contend it is not. I say that the vast majority of cyclist just ride for the enjoyment of the ride. We just like to be out in the open air, enjoy the sites, and or run errands. We dont ride high priced bikes, or dress in high priced kits. We dont care about form, position, cadence or any of that, we just enjoy the kind of riding we like.
While I agree with your sentiment about speed, I really think you're just trying to inspire some controversy with the first sentence.
Old 03-11-23, 04:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Just so everyone knows, this thread succeeded beyond any reasonable expectation.
This thread has succeeded in accomplishing only one thing....and that one thing was to create more divisions and hostility between cyclists who ride for sport and speed and cyclists who just ride for pleasure, recreation and exercise...
Old 03-11-23, 04:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by wolfchild
This thread has succeeded in accomplishing only one thing....and that one thing was to create more divisions and hostility between cyclists who ride for sport and speed and cyclists who just ride for pleasure, recreation and exercise...

Old 03-11-23, 04:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3980 Post(s)
Liked 7,430 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Perhaps there are individuals, but as a whole retrogrouches don't tell people they're wrong or call newer bikes garbage..
No, that's pretty much baked into the definition of a retro-grouch. Cyclists that prefer older (vintage) bikes, but don't constantly argue that modern bikes are crap, aren't labelled as retro-grouches.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-11-23, 04:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10493 Post(s)
Liked 12,021 Times in 6,154 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You think funny.

Speed is good.

So is capitalism.

Success is defined individually, on our own personal terms.

Just because my recumbent is much faster than Rydabents and faster than probably anyone's upright bike, does not make it an excess.

I am glad you like your old bikes. I still have mine but rarely ride them because the new ones are light years better and would not have been made without capitalism. You think funny
The idea that new bikes are "junk" is so absurd. Did older cyclists in the 60s rattle on and on about how these fancy derailleur things were junk and cycling tech hit its pinnacle with Cambio Corsa?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-11-23, 04:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No, that's pretty much baked into the definition of a retro-grouch. Cyclists that prefer older (vintage) bikes, but don't constantly argue that modern bikes are crap, aren't labelled as retro-grouches.
"Grouch" being the operative syllable.

Indeed, the monthly C&V rides I organized with another forum member are made up of guys like me who like old bikes, and new bikes, and have both and ride them for speed and pleasure. Retro, but no grouching.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 04:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by jfouellette
High end buyers are not stupid and gullible. They just see value in different things. They are also willing to be early adopters of technology for example which is very useful as a way to drive innovation. In many cases we would still have one speed bikes if it wasn’t for them.
Singlespeed bikes never disappeared, they're still out there. Some people race on them, commute on them, mountain bike on them and do all kind of riding on them.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-11-23, 05:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
The idea that new bikes are "junk" is so absurd.
I don't recall anybody ever saying that newer bikes are total junk. I've heard people say that they prefer older bikes and older tech but I never actually heard them say that anything newer is junk.
Old 03-11-23, 05:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
He was a genius, but he could write stuff that even i could understand.

Also, he was funnier than hell. If you've ever hear or read the story about how he drove Manhattan Project security nuts at Los Alamos when he took up the hobby of safe cracking, it's absolutely hilarious.
Old 03-11-23, 05:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Please point to a single post in this thread where anyone says it's wrong to ride for other reasons besides speed.

SPOILER ALERT-- there aren't any.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 05:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

. Did older cyclists in the 60s rattle on and on about how these fancy derailleur things were junk?
As I recall, yes. There was just no social media to preserve it.
Old 03-11-23, 06:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Just as I am interested in zone-2 speed, I am also interested in how fast my old bikes can go, not in how fast I can go on carbon-fiber, multi-thousand dollar junk that they peddle to the public now. I like the bikes I grew up with since the 1960s, they are great bikes and all I will ever need.
99.999% of riders are not interested in racing and are not pros making money with their riding, so the common-sense thing for them to get out of their rides is fun and relaxation along with a bit of exercise.
I don't recall anybody ever saying that newer bikes are total junk. I've heard people say that they prefer older bikes and older tech but I never actually heard them say that anything newer is junk.

Ooops. See, I bring receipts.
Old 03-11-23, 06:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Please point to a single post in this thread where anyone says it's wrong to ride for other reasons besides speed.

SPOILER ALERT-- there aren't any.
No one actually said it's wrong, but the divisions and hostilities between the two groups are obvious. Just like hostilities between cyclists who prefer older and newer tech.
Old 03-11-23, 06:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Well, it was kind of a tl,dr post, but...
[snip]
Everything comes to he who looks.

EDIT: As a bonus, he throws in another of his favorite dumb ideas - that speed is of no use to anyone who isn't paid to ride fast.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 06:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Ooops. See, I bring receipts.
I didn't read all the replies so I missed the word junk in beng1 post, at least I wasn't the one who said it.
Old 03-11-23, 06:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

No one actually said it's wrong, but the divisions and hostilities between the two groups are obvious. Just like hostilities between cyclists who prefer older and newer tech.
I think the hostility tends to run in one direction. I see hostility coming from retro-grouches aimed at "racer boyz" and the "junk" they ride. But I don't see it coming back the other way, though I do see a response to the hostility. And when I've been out on one of my older bikes, the comments I hear from other cyclists on more modern bikes are invariably positive, and I know for sure they ain't complimenting my ugly mug or my 'too fat for this sport' physique.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 06:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

As I recall, yes. There was just no social media to preserve it.
Snail-mailed, hand-typed mimeos, perhaps?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 06:11 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The idea that new bikes are "junk" is so absurd. Did older cyclists in the 60s rattle on and on about how these fancy derailleur things were junk and cycling tech hit its pinnacle with Cambio Corsa?
Ya, why BenG1 calls new carbon bikes "junk" is odd. Carbon repair is quicker and cheaper than say replacing a steel downtube or heavens forbid, a high quality custom fork. I've owned carbon bikes for over 35 years. I've also kept my steel bikes. And my aluminum ones. And my two magnesium ones. Some have DT, some have "brifters" and some have electronic. I like the new junk best.

My SN is because sometimes I ride a recumbent and one day, I crawled up on a racing team on a small country road and one of them says, "Holy ****, it is Ghostrider" and I did remember blowing by them at 60+KPH on a TT type effort a few times during 20 minute tempo work. Speed is fun. I prefer my upright but 60+ mph and 24 inches off the ground is something.
Old 03-11-23, 06:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

99.999% of riders are not interested in racing and are not pros making money with their riding, so the common-sense thing for them to get out of their rides is fun and relaxation along with a bit of exercise. whatever they want, whether it's speed, or dawdling, or sightseeing, or pushing themselves to their limits
ftfy.

Old 03-11-23, 06:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I think the divisions are between those who make shyte up (you and OP) vs. everyone else (fast or slow).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-11-23, 06:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The idea that riders who prefer more modern bikes are hostile to riders on older equipment reminds me of....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.