Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the latest on MOLTENI Orange

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 11:36 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 721 Posts

what's the latest on paint codes?

Is it true that the DeRosa orange was slightly different from the Colnago and Kessels?

Has anybody ridden their Molteni frame next to one of those new SUBURUs and said, Holy Sh*T, that's the same color!!!!

Robert

Last edited by Robvolz; 09-21-22 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 12:02 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 106 Posts
As many shades as opinions of what's correct. That's one long rabbit hole.

Almost like trying to nail down the correct shade of Celeste.

Last edited by satbuilder; 09-21-22 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 12:31 PM
Robvolz 

I disagree,

Bianchi Celeste is a color that started post-World War II and has constantly evolved. molteni basically use the color orange from 1969 to 1975.
Old 09-21-22, 04:20 PM
Robvolz 

I am hoping someone Who has restored a bike with his color might be able to chime in.
Old 09-21-22, 04:48 PM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by bbbob
Celeste refers to light "sky" blue, NOT the greenish tooth paste color it devolved to over time. This misuse was uniquely a Bianchi-ism.
Early 40's -50's Bianchis are also much closer to light blue than what came later.

I understand and I sympathize with your struggle. However I am not asking about Celeste green I’m asking about Molteni orange. Thank you for informing me.
Old 09-21-22, 05:24 PM
Robvolz 

No where in my query did I mention the word Eddie Merckx.

This is because there are other team members and Eddie didn’t even join their team until 1970.

Molteni (the team) existed prior to that and used orange frames.
Old 09-21-22, 07:00 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3264 Post(s)
Liked 3,962 Times in 1,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Has anybody ridden their Molteni frame next to one of those new SUBURUs and said, Holy Sh*T, that's the same color!!!!
I'm not sure how much I can help with the other questions, and my bike isn't a "Molteni" bike, but I do think it's the same color as the Subaru orange or at least very close.

This is a 1973 De Rosa that was repainted by CyclArt. I have no idea what color code they used. Before I got this, I thought Molteni orange was less creamy and a bit darker, but I now think that was ignorance on my part. I think this matches the Molteni frame hanging from the rafters at River City (which I believe is a Colnago).

It also matches the orange stripe on the Campagnolo Epsilon rims, FWIW.
Old 09-21-22, 08:38 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
When I got my Rocky Mtn powdercoated the color was called 'Tingle Gloss Orange'

Likes For Soody:
Old 09-21-22, 10:23 PM
Robvolz 

Oh Andy
be still my beating heart

what a beautiful bike
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 09-21-22, 10:24 PM
Robvolz 

And…. Triple crank

ill call cycle art.
Old 09-21-22, 10:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
No where in my query did I mention the word Eddie Merckx.

This is because there are other team members and Eddie didn’t even join their team until 1970.

Molteni (the team) existed prior to that and used orange frames.
and before that a medium metallic blue.

"Molteni" Orange is possibly two colors for sure. Fortunately not trademarked like Gulf Oil light blue and Orange where automakers have to pay a handsome royalty to paint to match.
Porsche and Ford have both made it an option and absurd in cost.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-21-22, 10:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
One thing I can share: the primer, or at least the underlying coat before the orange is put on, is extremely important. Before I had my '73 Super restored, the layer below the orange was originally hull red. For the restoration? Flat white. Check out the difference in hues based solely on the base coat beneath the finish coat in the following couple pics.

Original:

Restored:

We're looking at these on a computer monitor, so yeah, making out the difference in hue is kind of a fool's game, but trust me - the new look is lighter, and less Molteni orange-looking than the original.

In addition, I've had two other Colnagos refinished in metallic red; one with a gold base layer, the other with silver. This resulted in a "warmer" look with the gold undercoat, and a "cooler" look with silver. What's my point? The undercoat color is just as important as getting the pigment correct on the topcoat.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 09-21-22 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-22-22, 05:51 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 773 Posts
<a href="member.php?u=111144" class="utag">@Andy_K</a> <a href="member.php?u=168558" class="utag">@Drillium Dude</a> <a href="member.php?u=401612" class="utag">@Soody</a> Pardon the brief thread interrupt, but <em>wow! </em>I've got a '79 Holdsworth Pro in the queue (had been stripped and painted black, but I think it was originally a light blue from some traces under the black...) and I've been debating what color to go with. Wasn't really feeling the orange, though it is, of course, <em>the right </em> color for a Holdsworth- but looking at the above bikes may have tipped me into the orange camp! They're all stunning!
Old 09-22-22, 06:07 AM
Mike V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 19 Posts
Isn’t there a burnt and a bright? Older ones being burnt?
Likes For Mike V3:
Old 09-22-22, 06:33 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I'm not sure how much I can help with the other questions, and my bike isn't a "Molteni" bike, but I do think it's the same color as the Subaru orange or at least very close.

This is a 1973 De Rosa that was repainted by CyclArt. I have no idea what color code they used. Before I got this, I thought Molteni orange was less creamy and a bit darker, but I now think that was ignorance on my part. I think this matches the Molteni frame hanging from the rafters at River City (which I believe is a Colnago).

It also matches the orange stripe on the Campagnolo Epsilon rims, FWIW.
If Lionel had gone into bike manufacturing. Choo-choo
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-22-22, 01:18 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike V3
Isn’t there a burnt and a bright? Older ones being burnt?
The original Molteni orange in my unofficial opinion a more earthy (burnt) orange and not at all a bright signal orange.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 09-22-22, 02:08 PM
Robvolz 

OK, here's the latest.

I stopped by the local suburu dealer and their orange which looks damn good to me has not been available since 2018.

I'm also into vintage alfa Romeo and started thinking about "what did Italian paint shops have access to in 1972 without the internet?"

They would not know Porsche orange. They would know AR241 which even from my monitor looks pretty good.

And yes, they had a bull's blood primer which might be the difference between all these too bright of orange and the original MOLTENI orange.

RAL2004 = way to bright.
Old 09-22-22, 02:09 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 106 Posts
I picked up an early '73 Super several years ago. Debated on repainting it, but didn't. Tried to find a close touchup paint for it. After purchasing several different samples, and trying to custom mix something, I decided to just keep it original and leave the battle scars intact.

It's probably easier to tell you what it's not, than what it is.

Although others have alluded to Porsche Signal Orange being a match, it is too yellow.

RAL 2004 is probably the closest match for the '70's Motobecane Champion Team bikes.

I also tried most of the other RAL colors that looked close to the Molteni Orange of my Super. Closest one I found was RAL 2011, but still not close enough for me to use as a touch up paint for it.

If you go here, https://www.speedbicycles.ch/collect...t_by_name.html and scroll down thru all the Molteni Orange bikes, it appears there were several different shades of orange used on the Colnagos. There is only one Molteni Orange DeRosa example on the site, but the orange used there, looks a lot muddier than the Colnagos, and the Kessels bikes look to be a totally different shade than the Colnagos. Could be just the lighting, who knows?

If I can get some decent light, I'll post up a shot of my '73.
Old 09-22-22, 02:12 PM
Robvolz 

https://www.alfabb.com/threads/1972-...e-3#post-33486

click on the color. Looks good
Old 05-14-23, 03:56 AM
nenad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Adding some insight and info from my research and experience. Last year, I purchased an early Merckx Professional whose paint was in condition beyond repair, the only option was a repaint. My idea was to paint it in Molteni colors so I set out to find the orange that will match it closest, coming across this thread (lots of good info here). I went to see my painter, for orange I was going to pick one of the RAL colors and I inquired about different primers. In a nutshell, what he said was that any particular RAL color will resemble the sample card only if you use white or silver (kind of white as well) primer. In other words, using oxblood red (discussed above) as primer will give the RAL color a different hue.

I decided to keep it simple and go along with his recommendations. For orange, we both felt that RAL 2008 would look nicer than RAL 2004, RAL 2004 being somehow much too orange (too loud, obnoxious). For blue panels I went for a dark blue that pulls towards purple. This is how the frame turned out:

I guess the point I am trying to make is to not overthink it (I did at first). Go for colors that may not strictly adhere to the original but that will speak most to you. It is your bike after all. Ditto with the stickers: personally, I am not a fan of having other man's picture on my bike even if that man is Eddy

Last edited by nenad; 05-14-23 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For nenad:
Old 05-14-23, 09:34 AM
Robvolz 

did you see the other post I wrote about taking the three examples, a DeRosa, a Colnago and a Kessels, removing the fork to get non-sun touched examples. The color that matched all three times was from the Italian auto manufacture, Lancia.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nge-color.html

Anyway, you did a fine job there, and I love the fact your blue panels are painted.

Well done!!
Old 05-14-23, 12:39 PM
nenad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
did you see the other post I wrote about taking the three examples, a DeRosa, a Colnago and a Kessels, removing the fork to get non-sun touched examples. The color that matched all three times was from the Italian auto manufacture, Lancia.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nge-color.html

Anyway, you did a fine job there, and I love the fact your blue panels are painted.

Well done!!
I did and kudos to you for figuring it out. If ever I saw an orange color card that speaks Molteni, it's the Lancia sample that you posted there.
The reason I decided to do it with arbitrary orange of my own liking, what gave me courage, is the Colnago above owned by Drillium Dude. I much, much, prefer the look of the bike (the orange color) after the restore was done. Also, Andy_K's De Rosa is a beauty to behold (some bikes are just special) and it isn't necessarily Molteni orange either.

So, this thread was a great find for me before I took the plunge.

Last edited by nenad; 09-24-23 at 03:53 PM.