Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with which bike to go with? Standard or DI2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 07:16 PM
justdoit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to get back into riding after 20 years as I am now 50 years old and wanting to get back into shape. I am 5' 8" so all bikes I test rode were 54cm. I was hoping to get some insight from you all. Too many options, bells and whistles compared to the limited options 20 years back. Complicated to say the least, and I figured I could ask here on the forum for help from the experts.

I walked into a couple of lbs, test rode some bikes, and had a few different options available to me.

1) 2017/2018 Roubaix Expert, had the new shock designed frame, disc brakes, standard shifting gears. $4,200.

2) 2017 Tarmac Comp DI2. No disc brakes, and it does have electric shifting instead of standard shifting. $2,900

3) 2017 Roubaix SL4 Comp DI2. No shocks, no disc brakes, and electric shifting (DI2). $2,400.

4) 2017 Trek Emonda SL7. No disc brakes, electric shifting. $3,300.

Are disc breaks really worth the extra dollars? Is DI2 really worth the extra dollars too? The Roubaix was comfortable to me, and fact is I liked both style bikes, and I could tell that the Tarmac was a different ride all together, not as forgiving as the Roubaix if that's even the right wording?

I'm just not sure which one to go with? I'm looking to eventually ride 10-20 miles each ride and picking up the pace to longer distances once I get back into shape. Looking to have fun and also join in on some group rides.
Old 08-10-17, 06:21 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Oh yay! A thread where someone wants to debate the usefulness of disc brakes! Hey, everyone! Come on in and have at it!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

My more useful response is spend what you are comfortable with. People seem to love Di2. Personally, I don't feel like having to charge one more battery in my life so I have never even tried electronic shifting for fear that I might like it. As for disc brakes, if you need to ask if you'll benefit from them, you probably don't need them. I like my discs, though.

With your budget, you have a ton of options, too. I realize that Trek and Specialized are popular and easily accessible but if you want something a little more special, $4000+ will get you a lot of bike elsewhere.
Old 08-10-17, 08:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I have never even tried electronic shifting for fear that I might like it.
Not afraid to machine parts to make Campy shifters cooperate with Hy-RD brakes but unwilling to give up his fear of electricity. Quite the complex individual.
Old 08-10-17, 08:57 AM
novemberhotel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test ride them and make a decision. Also set a top budget; the prices of the bikes you mentioned range from $2400 to $4200.
Old 08-10-17, 09:01 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Di2 is really sweet; however, if I was just getting back into riding I would go with a mechanical 105 or Ultegra.
Old 08-10-17, 09:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have both (disc brakes, Di2) on my new bike. I’ve had many disc brake bikes in the past and prefer them – I live in Seattle, after all – but this is my first Di2 bike.

To be honest, I didn’t fall in love with Di2 during the test ride. There’s less tactile feedback in the shifting buttons, shifting multiple gears takes longer, and there’s a faint whir. I was surprised, everything I’d read says if you ever ride a bike with electronic shifting, you’ll be unwilling to ever ride mechanical again. And that wasn’t my first impression. But I needed a bike and this was a good one at a good price. Fast forward, I love the Di2. Shifting multiple gears is faster now, but you need to use software to make it faster. I got used to the buttons. It’s a perfect shift every time, and there’s no maintenance required, ever. No cables to stretch. (I’m saying that in case you’re not aware of this benefit of Di2.)

The benefits of disc brakes are that they work consistently in all conditions. Rim brakes don’t work as well in the rain, the first squeeze after they get wet dries them, then the next one slows you down, but less than you’re used to. Discs have better modulation, or control over how much stopping power you apply. They tend to allow wider wheels and tires, which give you better traction, stopping power, and comfort. Another advantage, for some people, is they don’t slowly destroy your rims. The main disadvantage to disc brakes is old people will freak out about your bike and tell you how they walked up hill both ways when they were your age.

Rim brakes are perfectly good, too. A lot of people get by just fine with them.
Old 08-10-17, 09:39 AM
zorax2

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Great choices. Since you're just getting back into biking (not knowing your financial situation) - are you sure you want to spend that much? A lot of folks return to cycling, and while many stick with it long term, you find a lot of used bikes listed "ridden once" or "ridden for less than 500 miles".

I'd first consider a used Roubaix on CraigsList. You can usually find a very nice bike less than a few years old with Ultegra or 105 groupsets for $1,000 to $2,000 in excellent condition. 54cm is a very common size so that helps. If you find your really love cycling, sell the used bike and take a small hit and then upgrade to the bike of your dreams.

If you're not in the mountains, a super hilly area or you like to bike in the rain, rim brakes will be fine.

Just some extra thoughts to consider. YMMV.
Old 08-10-17, 04:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Since you just hit 50, Di2 and Disc brakes are somewhat mandatory.
Old 08-10-17, 05:44 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Since you just hit 50, Di2 and Disc brakes are somewhat mandatory.
This.

And the future shock on the new Roubaix.

Those three technologies will combine to give you a ride that requires very little adjustment and is very kind on your joints, your connective tissue, your muscles,… Everything but your wallet.

The 2017 Roubaix Expert UDi2 is a fantastic choice, if you can still find one.

Di2 is fantastic. And there is sheer joy at having shift buttons mounted under the tops for climbing. Disc brakes mean that most of your breaking is done with a single finger. As our bodies get older, these technologies make cycling easier. It's wonderful.

Last edited by Masque; 08-10-17 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 09:45 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
So if you had to give up DI2 or discs, which would it be? A friend asked my the same question and after thinking about it, I would give up the discs and keep DI2. I hope I never am forced to choose!

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have both (disc brakes, Di2) on my new bike. I’ve had many disc brake bikes in the past and prefer them – I live in Seattle, after all – but this is my first Di2 bike.

To be honest, I didn’t fall in love with Di2 during the test ride. There’s less tactile feedback in the shifting buttons, shifting multiple gears takes longer, and there’s a faint whir. I was surprised, everything I’d read says if you ever ride a bike with electronic shifting, you’ll be unwilling to ever ride mechanical again. And that wasn’t my first impression. But I needed a bike and this was a good one at a good price. Fast forward, I love the Di2. Shifting multiple gears is faster now, but you need to use software to make it faster. I got used to the buttons. It’s a perfect shift every time, and there’s no maintenance required, ever. No cables to stretch. (I’m saying that in case you’re not aware of this benefit of Di2.)

The benefits of disc brakes are that they work consistently in all conditions. Rim brakes don’t work as well in the rain, the first squeeze after they get wet dries them, then the next one slows you down, but less than you’re used to. Discs have better modulation, or control over how much stopping power you apply. They tend to allow wider wheels and tires, which give you better traction, stopping power, and comfort. Another advantage, for some people, is they don’t slowly destroy your rims. The main disadvantage to disc brakes is old people will freak out about your bike and tell you how they walked up hill both ways when they were your age.

Rim brakes are perfectly good, too. A lot of people get by just fine with them.
Old 08-10-17, 10:11 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt92037
So if you had to give up DI2 or discs, which would it be? A friend asked my the same question and after thinking about it, I would give up the discs and keep DI2. I hope I never am forced to choose!
For me, I'd have to give up Di2. Discs are safety, Di2 is luxury.

I wouldn't be thrilled about it, though.
Old 08-10-17, 11:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by matt92037
I wouldn't be happy to go without either, but I'd rather keep the discs. They're not as expensive as Di2 so they'd be the thing to give up, and, as above, they're very nice to have but less important.
Old 08-10-17, 11:12 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I've ridden rental bikes bikes with electronic shifting. They're easy to use. Most people I know who have electronic shifting love it. I'm sure you would, too, OP. However, for me, I like the mechanical aspects of cycling and electronic shifting on my own bikes doesn't interest me. In he grand scheme, either system is fine. It comes down to personal preference.

For me, it's the same idea with disc brakes. They're awesome on my mt. bike. They look great on road bikes. For me, though, disc brakes on road bikes are technological overkill. And they weigh more than rim brakes. I like less weight on my road bikes, not more, so it's rim brakes for me. As with electronic shifting, I think it comes down to personal preference.
Old 08-11-17, 01:05 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
I've ridden rental bikes bikes with electronic shifting. They're easy to use. Most people I know who have electronic shifting love it. I'm sure you would, too, OP. However, for me, I like the mechanical aspects of cycling and electronic shifting on my own bikes doesn't interest me. In he grand scheme, either system is fine. It comes down to personal preference.

For me, it's the same idea with disc brakes. They're awesome on my mt. bike. They look great on road bikes. For me, though, disc brakes on road bikes are technological overkill. And they weigh more than rim brakes. I like less weight on my road bikes, not more, so it's rim brakes for me. As with electronic shifting, I think it comes down to personal preference.
yeah pretty much.
Old 08-11-17, 06:29 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
If money is no object, I'd get both DI2 and disc brakes.

But for reasonable people: I'd vote just disc brakes.

I have never ridden DI2, but it has always seemed like a frivolous and useless technology to me, just something to inflate the price of bikes and yet something more to sell you. Never found shifting mechanical gears hard or bothersome. Except if your name is Marcel Kittel and you need to change gears before going into a full out sprint in the Tour.
Old 08-15-17, 08:20 PM
justdoit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've decided to go with the Roubaix Expert but I have had no luck finding exactly what I need in a 54. I'd rather spend the extra bucks rather than trying to upgrade later or wished I would have from the start. My LBS has the Roubaix Expert with disc but no DI2. The new 2018s are coming in sometime in the near future. I hate the new colors but can live with it and will just wait it out. Unless someone has a super nice used one in great shape for sale? Thank you too for everyone that has posted to help this old fart get his heart back into shape. I need to get back into shape and get back to feeling good again. I used to run 7 miles a day and my knees took a hit from that. Biking will allow me to get back into the grove without killing the knees. Thanks everyone. I'm in the bham area looking to meet up and ride once I get a bike.