Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone have cameras on their bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone have cameras on their bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 08:08 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
I ride 52 miles a day on country roads that are arbored archways shaded from the sun and sheltered from the wind. But some drivers think isolated roads give them license to sideswipe bicycles from behind. I can't find any gopros that will last 3 hours or more. The "experts" at Walmart tell me I should use dashcams but that probably won't work. I want gopros that last longer and will connect to wifi so the action will feed directly to my computer and record in real time. Where is this technology?
In your phone.
Old 10-03-18, 09:49 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I think the latest GoPro Hero 7 Black can live stream, but since the battery life isn't great, either backup batteries or external battery packs would be needed for longer rides.
Old 10-03-18, 10:00 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think most drivers will own up to their mistakes. It's just that we only hear about the rotten ones on the news.
Most did do the right thing, but we never hear about those.
Besides, drivers have insurance. It's not in their interest to run away or lie...the penalty of getting caught lying or running is too high.
Most, sure, but I've been unfortunate enough to be in a handful of car accidents, only one my fault where I made a tiny scratch on the other car's paint and I think they decided not even to make an insurance claim. The last one though was t-boning a commercial truck driving across an arterial where I was in the left lane while he had to cross a stop sign. The driver was told by his manager not to admit fault. Cops wouldn't come for statements because they all went to hang out around a gas explosion that had happened earlier in the day. I ordered a dashcam immediately afterward. Case went into arbitration after my insurance spent weeks trying to contact their sketchy business auto insurance, and it took a year before it fizzled out and no fault was ever determined.

People do have incentive to not admit fault, because their insurance rates either go up, or if they were extremely reckless, they could become uninsurable. If it were easier to be car-free in the US, maybe that wouldn't be such a horrible disincentive to being honest.
Old 10-03-18, 11:11 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I think most drivers will own up to their mistakes. It's just that we only hear about the rotten ones on the news.
Besides, drivers have insurance. It's not in their interest to run away or lie...the penalty of getting caught lying or running is too high.
Ever since I moved to Florida about ten years ago, I’ve heard of several cycling accidents. Nearly ALL OF THEM were hit and runs, and I can recall a few that HAVE NEVER been resolved (the driver was never caught or turned her/himself in).
Old 10-03-18, 11:16 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Inventor/entrepreneur opportunity: a self guided drone that follows you on your ride and can auto-report footage to police and/or news channels upon detecting an incident (rider has the option and a timeframe to override; if not, drone assumes rider is incapacitated and sends the footage).
Old 10-03-18, 11:15 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Inventor/entrepreneur opportunity: a self guided drone that follows you on your ride and can auto-report footage to police and/or news channels upon detecting an incident (rider has the option and a timeframe to override; if not, drone assumes rider is incapacitated and sends the footage).
Big Brother would love that. Although the skies would become pretty crowded after a while.
Old 10-03-18, 11:22 PM
vacon04

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, a cheap Activeon camera. I ride during the winter and as soon as we get snow, people start driving even more erratically. My commute is really short, just over 3 km, but it's always better to have it in case someone decides to crash into me.
Old 10-05-18, 05:05 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ray9
... I can't find any gopros that will last 3 hours or more. ... Where is this technology?
The Cycliq series lasts for about 8 hours. I dumped my gopros because the battery life wasn't good enough for my longer rides.
Old 10-05-18, 09:00 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by pdoege
The Cycliq series lasts for about 8 hours. I dumped my gopros because the battery life wasn't good enough for my longer rides.
Bad call. Battery life is a direct function of features and use of functions -- which can be disabled. Besides, you can always add extended batteries to all gopro cameras (and the like).
Old 10-06-18, 06:01 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, even with extended batteries you have to swap things around to keep a go pro alive. Especially past 10 hours.

The failure mode is that they silently stop working without updating the video with a stop code and then you have to manually recover the video off of the filesystem.

Not what I was looking forward too after a 10 hour ride.

Still, I imagine some people like that sort of thing.

The beauty of the Cycliq is that you just turn it on and ride without a care.
Old 10-06-18, 06:29 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
I’ve placed my GoPro Hero Session on my helmet a couple of times, and while I can’t put a finger on it I’d say drivers are generally better behaved when they know/see that they are being recorded, especially in light of today’s social media power.

This ^^^^^^. I've been riding w/ a fly 6 on the back for 2 or 3 years now. I recently picked up an out front mount for my garmin 800 and it has a gopro mount underneath. Even though the camera mounts upside down, I've noticed on a couple of occasions as I'm approaching an intersection w/ a car waiting, I could see them hesitate and then wait, probably because the camera is there. It's a "cho-pro" and the battery life is fine for my ride into and home from work, but it's probably worth having it on there just for the deterrent.
Old 10-06-18, 06:29 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's not in their interest to run away or lie...the penalty of getting caught lying or running is too high.
Unfortunately this frequently isn't the case when drivers are under the influence. If they can keep from getting caught long enough to sober up then it can be in their interest to accept the penalty for hit-and-run in order to avoid a DUI with injuries.
Old 10-06-18, 07:06 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I just bought a Fly12ce for the front and the GoPro Session for the back. I bought the Fly12ce because it has the light that I use in flash mode in the front and I bought the Session for the rear for it's size. Still learning how to work them the best, but I think this is going to work well.
Old 10-06-18, 11:52 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by pdoege
Yeah, even with extended batteries you have to swap things around to keep a go pro alive. Especially past 10 hours.

The failure mode is that they silently stop working without updating the video with a stop code and then you have to manually recover the video off of the filesystem.

Not what I was looking forward too after a 10 hour ride.

Still, I imagine some people like that sort of thing.

The beauty of the Cycliq is that you just turn it on and ride without a care.
These cameras simply have a special programing mode best suitable for cyclists. Its not something that gopro (and perhaps others) can't add with an firmware update if they recognized a financial incentive. Nevertheless, it sounds like a very useful convenience. However, the ultimate convenience would be some type of genlock or synchronization when using multiple cameras.
Originally Posted by prathmann
Unfortunately this frequently isn't the case when drivers are under the influence. If they can keep from getting caught long enough to sober up then it can be in their interest to accept the penalty for hit-and-run in order to avoid a DUI with injuries.
Same as in retail and other public areas. Just the sight of a camera (even the dummy ones) can often deter a criminal act.
Old 10-07-18, 08:24 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
this may be state by state. I was a hit and run victim. Never caught. It’s fairly common in this state. So common, in fact, it didn’t even make the local news despite me needing a week in the ICU and having ... life threatening injuries.

High percentage of uninsured and DUI. Consequences are high. Tracking ability is low. Done.