Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A Plug For Rema Patches

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

A Plug For Rema Patches

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 09:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Luckily, I don't patch anywhere near enough tubes to have to buy the vulcanizing fluid in bulk. How long does the stuff last? I am concerned about whether to buy a new tube of fluid or to just wait and expect the current (opened) one to be OK when I get my next flat five years from now.
I keep a can of Rema fluid and a container of solvent Heptane. If the fluid thickens, I dilute it. I fill my own small glass vials off Ebay as containers for on the road use, rather than rely on commercial tubes. If the fluid thickens in a vial it can be diluted too. No, I do not go through massive number amounts of fluid or patches, but I need a working infrastructure when in need it and I service other people.
Old 09-21-18, 09:02 AM
timsmcm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's never the patch that is bad. You either touched the back of it or used old glue. If the glue is not fresh it has no vulcanizing power. Found out the hard way.
Old 09-21-18, 07:48 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by timsmcm
It's never the patch that is bad. You either touched the back of it or used old glue. If the glue is not fresh it has no vulcanizing power. Found out the hard way.
Never touched the back, and it was the first time I had used the kit, which was inside of a year old.
Old 09-21-18, 08:17 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Patches can go bad. We had a bunch (boxes and boxes, all from the same batch) that were bad, they'd been stored improperly, and exposed to high enough temperatures to set off the vulcanizing ultra-accelerator that's part of the working surface of the patch. I would expect patches stored in a seat bag to have the same problem in hot climates.

That said, mis application is much more likely. Too much glue, not enough glue, not letting the glue thoroughly dry, not enough sanding before applying the glue, or improper stitching of the patches. Not enough sanding, not letting the glue dry, and putting the glue on too thick are the ones I see people do all the time.
Old 09-21-18, 08:29 PM
Papa Tom

Truthfully, I think i just "missed" the micro-puncture with the first patch, which is why I've taken such an interest in the leak finder gadget we've been discussing. The patch itself is as solid as anything I have ever seen, as if it's part of the rubber tube, as I mentioned earlier.

The second patch, which I applied next to the original (overlapping by a little bit) was sort of a half-ssed job that didn't take at all. The THIRD patch (the tube I punctured intentionally) is holding just fine.

Bottom line? I think the failures in this experiment were all user-errors, not the fault of the kit. If I could take back my comments about patches going bad without ruining the flow of this thread, I would.
Old 09-22-18, 06:56 PM
Papa Tom

Gonna be away from 9/23 to 9/29 with no time to play. Don't think I'm another one of those OP's who starts a fire and then doesn't stick around to help put it out. If there are any more comments in this thread, I will see them when I return!
Old 10-08-18, 07:14 PM
Papa Tom

Amazing. Today I went to ANOTHER, even LARGER major bike shop, about 15 miles from home,in an effort to avoid buying my next set of Rema patches online. Just like the first shop, all the salespeople looked at me like I was speaking in a foreign tongue. "WHAT's the brand? REMO?"

The two shops I have tried are huge, like car dealerships, with aisle after aisle of road bikes, mountain bikes, comfort bikes, BMX bikes, exercise bikes, and separate departments for all the high-end stuff, repairs, etc. You can find two dozen brands of chain lube, eighteen different model mini frame pumps, and about a hundred different styles of headlamps and blinkies, but each of these two shops carries exactly ONE type of patch kit. You guessed it...the one by Park Tool.
Old 10-09-18, 01:17 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
It's called a Lekzoeker and nearly impossible to find in the US. Easy enough to make one though. https://www.halfords.nl/simson-simson-lekzoeker.html

Anyone know of an on-line source with shipping to the US?

Old 10-09-18, 07:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Your tube of vulcanizing fluid will last longer if you squeeze out all of the air before replacing the cap.
This is untrue. There is nothing in the vulcanizing fluid that will oxidize. Air in the tube isn't a problem. We have cans of vulcanizing fluid at my local co-op that have much more air-to-fluid in them then you'll find in the tube and they still work. The cap just needs to be kept tightly in place to prevent evaporation of the solvent.

I disagree. I've successfully used old vulcanizing fluid that barely had any solvent left in it. As I said above, there is nothing in the fluid that will oxidize in air. Cans of the fluid are useful to the last drops if you keep the solvent from evaporating. I suspect that you could even add solvent to old dried cans of vulcanizing fluid and dissolve the fluid as long as you get the proper solvent.

The stability of the fluid to air oxidation is further illustrated by the fact that you can leave a tube that has had vulcanizing fluid out on a bench top for weeks and still successfully patch the tube. As long as there is no solvent (and not too much dust), the patch will adhere to the fluid (more a "solid" after a few weeks)
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-09-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 07:22 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by CO_Steve
I was in Walmart the other day and in the auto section where all the tire stuff is they had Slime brand patch kits which contained what looked exactly like Rema patches. Price was quite a bit lower as well.
Copy or the real deal?
Copy. The key is that the tubes say "rubber cement". It will work and will probably hold but it's not the same as the vulcanizing fluid nor the accelerator present on the Rema patches that do actual chemistry.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-09-18, 07:35 AM
cyccommute 

Interestingly, I went to the largest, most expensive bike shop in my area tonight to find a new Rema patch kit to replace the one I have just about depleted and they had never heard of it. This is a HUGE store that caters to some big spenders, and all they had was the Park kit and the useless Park self-adhesive patches.
Many, if not most, bike shops, as well as most bicyclist, don't understand that there is a difference between patch kits. As far as I know, Rema is the only patch kit that uses vulcanizing fluid. Most others use rubber cement because they are either ignorant of the chemistry or don't want to invest in the research. Since you can get by with rubber cement and it is cheap, most people go that route.

There is also something of an economic aspect to patch kits. Rubber cement is more likely to fail so people just give up and buy new tubes. Bike shops make more money on tubes than on patches so there is little reason to go with the better patch kits.

Old 10-09-18, 07:50 AM
cyccommute 

It's now in my bungee bin. History.

I probably won't have to deal with a flat for a long, long time now, as I am very lucky with tires. However, I'm obsessed with that little gadget in the Rema video that you hold over the punctured tube and the styrofoam balls start to bounce around as soon as they hit the leak. I'd like to make one, as it seems you can't buy them in the US. Does anybody know what it's called, and am I wrong that it isn't available in the States?
I had one many years ago...much more then 20...and while it is interesting, it's not all that useful. I eventually found that I could find the leak more easily by "kissing the tube". I just over fill the tube so that it is well expanded...that helps with the frustrating slow leaks...then pass the tube in from of my lips. Human lips are very sensitive and even a slight flow of air is detectable.

Old 10-09-18, 08:57 AM
Papa Tom

Sorry...I will stroke my tubes gently and whisper sweet nothings to them, but kissing is where I draw the line.
Old 10-09-18, 09:34 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bike shops make more money on tubes than on patches so there is little reason to go with the better patch kits.
This does not exactly relate to the quote but there are other aspects.

Long ago (shortly after WW II and probably before), bike shops would patch tubes (with hot vulcanizing fluid) if someone came in with a flat.

They don't do that now for several reasons. First, patching takes a few more minutes and time is money for repairs. Second, people can get flats as soon as they leave the shop that are unrelated to the patch. They will blame the shop for poor workmanship. Supplying a new tube removes that complaint. Three, related to two, there's a liability question should the cyclist suffer injury due to an alleged faulty patch.

I think the economic rationale (point one) is probably faulty. The proliferation of tube sizes has greatly increased the inventory that a bike shop must keep. If the increased inventory cost were factored in, I'd bet the few extra minutes to apply a patch would be less expensive for the shop. Points two and three are still sufficient to tip the balance towards replacement rather than repair.
Old 10-09-18, 10:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
@Papa Tom, I think this means that not many people patch their tubes any more. It's strange to you and me, but I accept it as reality. It's time for you to order online.

I've had two LBS owners tell me they prefer me to order online than ask them to special order things. It surprised me, but I also accept it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-18, 11:06 AM
Papa Tom

SB - Good argument for why bike shops don't want to patch tubes. But why wouldn't they want to sell the best available patch kit to customers who insist on patching their own?

noglider - I rarely get flats, so when I do, it's just easier to replace the tube. I didn't bother patching the damaged ones until recently, when someone told me about Rema patch kits and I tried one myself. My results have been inconsistent (probably due to human error), but it's still the best kit I have ever used.

I guess, at this point, I have made a commendable enough effort to give my business to the brick-and-mortars. As you said, time to order online. The problem is, I held off on buying certain other items at these two retail stores so I can stack a few things and get free shipping. Now, the stores have not only lost out on my $5 patch kit, but on some tubes, tools, and other stuff that will probably add up to about $75.
Old 10-09-18, 11:28 AM
cyccommute 

SB - Good argument for why bike shops don't want to patch tubes. But why wouldn't they want to sell the best available patch kit to customers who insist on patching their own?

noglider - I rarely get flats, so when I do, it's just easier to replace the tube. I didn't bother patching the damaged ones until recently, when someone told me about Rema patch kits and I tried one myself. My results have been inconsistent (probably due to human error), but it's still the best kit I have ever used.

I guess, at this point, I have made a commendable enough effort to give my business to the brick-and-mortars. As you said, time to order online. The problem is, I held off on buying certain other items at these two retail stores so I can stack a few things and get free shipping. Now, the stores have not only lost out on my $5 patch kit, but on some tubes, tools, and other stuff that will probably add up to about $75.
As I said (or at least implied), it's mostly due to ignorance. People think that all patch kits are the same. Even people here on the BikeForums. That's one of the reasons that I'm very fastidious about saying "vulcanizing fluid" when talking about Rema patches vs other patches. There is chemistry going on with the Rema but not with the other patch kits.

You could educate the brick-and-mortars about Rema if you want. Have them order some Rema products from QBP (almost all bike shops have an account with QBP). I think you could also order individual patch kits (i.e. not a box of 24 patch kits) as well as tubes of glue from J & B Importers. Fewer shops have accounts with J&B. I have ordered tubes of glue and boxes of 100 F1 (25mm) and F0 (16mm) patches. I really like the 16mm patches for road tires.

When the store asks why you are ordering Rema, explain to them that there is a difference and what that difference is. I educated ya, go out and use it!

Old 10-09-18, 01:24 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
A patched tube is every bit as good as a new one. Ive been patching for the past 3 decades and never have I had a patch fail. The trick is to sand well, then apply the glue and wait for the solvent to fully evaporate. Then the patch will instantly fuse to the tube when applied. I tend to save up a few tubes before patching a small batch and rust rotate. All my tubes have one or more patches. Some have several.
Old 10-09-18, 06:32 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Rema patches as well, but I'd like to mention that the Park Tools VP-1 patch kit uses vulcanizing fluid and works quite well.

For more info: https://www.parktool.com/product/vulcanizing-patch-kit-vp-1#tabbed-section
Old 10-09-18, 07:12 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I also have had good results with Slime glueless patches. I have a couple of tubes that were patched with them last year and they are still lot leaking. I usually buy seamless tubes and that helps working with any patch. I carry both a patch kit and a tube with me. I choose which to use depending on how long I want to spend patching and where I am when the flat occurs. Some places I really just want to get the tire pressure back up and ride on, especially high traffic areas.
Old 10-09-18, 08:27 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
But why wouldn't they want to sell the best available patch kit to customers who insist on patching their own?
Rema makes a lot of products for repairing motorcycle, car and truck tubes and tires. Their bicycle business is small compared to the other applications for their products. Therefore, their U.S. distributor network concentrates on where the volume and money is and views the bicycle business more as a sideline. Bicycles are Park's only business. They hit every bike shop they can find. This difference explains why shops might not have heard of Rema.

The sales of patch kits is declining. A NYC bike shop owner commented that when he started 30 years ago, he sold 2 tubes for every patch kit. Now it's 300 tubes for every patch kit. This explains why bike shop owners may not go out of their way to order Rema. BTW, he stocks Rema and also sells patches and cold fluid vulcanizing tubes individually.
Old 10-09-18, 08:47 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Copy. The key is that the tubes say "rubber cement". It will work and will probably hold but it's not the same as the vulcanizing fluid nor the accelerator present on the Rema patches that do actual chemistry.
the last time I looked, the SDS for the glue in the slime patch kits said it contained cyclohexylamine, which is a vulcanizing accelerator, and more importantly an activator for most of the zinc dithiocarbamate ultra-accelerators used in the bonding layer of good patches.

Certainly the jar of the slime stuff I bought at an auto parts place is a proper vulcanizing fluid.

Part of what makes Rema patches superior is that they react to the fluid properly. They're also nicely thin and supple. I've used the Park VP-1 kit, it works fine (and it's a proper vulcaninzed repair), but the patches aren't as nice as Rema's.
Old 10-09-18, 10:40 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
the last time I looked, the SDS for the glue in the slime patch kits said it contained cyclohexylamine, which is a vulcanizing accelerator . .
The SDS currently linked from Slime's website does not mention cyclohexylamine or anything other than alkane and alkene solvents, and their MSDS from years ago (when compounds like cyclohexylamine would be listed) did not list it or any other accelerator. I've never seen Slime list an accelerator or refer to their glue as anything other than "rubber cement" -- never "accelerator" or "catalyst" or "cross linker."

BTW, Rema's SDS lists N-cyclohexyl-N-ethylamine. Also, Rema publishes marketing claims that their glue is a cross linking accelerator, which would be actionable if false.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 10-10-18 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-10-18, 05:45 PM
Papa Tom

I'm not going to overthink this. I will order the REMA patches online, but now I am going to wait until Spring 2019, when I get back on the road full-time again after the coming winter. Better chance the vulcanizing fluid will stay fresh until I actually need it.

For now, I've got enough patches and glue to get by in the highly unlikely event of another flat.