Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Applying an inner tube patch on tyre cuts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 02:29 AM
raja_mastana

Bikes: Ridgeback Rapide Motion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently had a puncture from a glass. It made a cut (around 4-5 mm) on the tyre. After inflating I found the cut opens up. So did some research but didn't find any clear solution. Solutions like shoe goo, super glue came up, but I didn't go ahead with them.
I had some inner tube patches lying around. I cleaned up the inner area around the cut and applied the patch meant for inner tube. Also, applied little glue (the one which comes with the patch kit), on the outside tyre.
Is there any drawbacks of this? Is there a better solution for tyre cuts
The intension is to prevent the cut from growing and stopping any dirt/water from getting in.
Thanks

Last edited by raja_mastana; 10-02-18 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 04:36 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It should work fine. I use Rema patches to patch the inside of my tubeless tires and haven't had one fail yet.
Old 10-02-18, 05:03 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The tube patch should be ok for small tire cuts. I find Gorilla tape to be a little better and more convenient - less stretch so contains the tube better for larger tire cuts, cheaper than patches, and easier to apply since it's self-adhesive. I keep some wrapped around my tire levers for repairs on the road.
Old 10-02-18, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I've used rubber cement on Tyvek (think FedEx envelope) to hold a boot in place. That one lasted until the tire wore out, down to the cords.
Old 10-02-18, 09:30 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I've used an old innertube and cut a decent sized patch, then glue it inside the tire, then apply a few strips of Gorilla Tape. Good to go!
Old 10-02-18, 09:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Bike shops have boots to place in tires for this. They have adhesive on one side to keep them in place so they wont budge out of the cut.

Last edited by rydabent; 10-02-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 09:46 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I don't hesitate to use superglue on rubber tyres where it's not meant to stretch; superglue grabs onto rubber just fine.

ive even superglued tyres on a car found a threadblock dangling half sliced off, so I cleaned the mating surfaces then superglued. The repair held fine for several years & 1000s of kms until that tyre got replaced for age.
Old 10-02-18, 09:51 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,520 Times in 2,862 Posts
I carry these: https://www.parktool.com/product/eme...tire-boot-tb-2

I once had a sidewall slashed open by a rock, leaving a hole I could put my thumb through.
I didn't think the boot could handle a hole that bad, but it got me home, six miles away.
Old 10-02-18, 10:11 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It's better than nothing, Shoe Goo and Super glue will actually adhere the sides of the tire together, lessening the chance of it ripping or separating more.

Member the good old standby in an emergency. US dollar bills placed aver a cut on the inside will get you home in a pinch.
Old 10-03-18, 08:19 AM
raja_mastana

Bikes: Ridgeback Rapide Motion

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a thought - Should the overall balance of the tire be also considered? Wouldn't applying Gorilla tape and/or cut out of inner tube make the tire out of balance by making the damaged area heavier
Old 10-03-18, 08:34 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by raja_mastana
Just a thought - Should the overall balance of the tire be also considered? Wouldn't applying Gorilla tape and/or cut out of inner tube make the tire out of balance by making the damaged area heavier
What makes you think your bike tires were in balance when you bought them?
Bike tires just don't have enough mass, nor spin fast enough to make balance an issue.
Old 10-03-18, 09:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Orient the tire so that the patch is opposite your valve stem, and your wheel may be in balance for the first time ever.
Old 10-03-18, 09:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I recently had a puncture from a glass. It made a cut (around 4-5 mm) on the tyre. After inflating I found the cut opens up. So did some research but didn't find any clear solution. Solutions like shoe goo, super glue came up, but I didn't go ahead with them.
I had some inner tube patches lying around. I cleaned up the inner area around the cut and applied the patch meant for inner tube. Also, applied little glue (the one which comes with the patch kit), on the outside tyre.
Is there any drawbacks of this? Is there a better solution for tyre cuts
The intension is to prevent the cut from growing and stopping any dirt/water from getting in.
Thanks
It works fine.
Old 10-09-18, 10:07 PM
pdoege

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They make super glue that contains rubber specifically for tire repair.
https://www.amazon.com/IC-2000-20-45.../dp/B002N4WCR0

However, I've patched tires using inner tube patches and it works great.
Old 10-10-18, 04:08 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I keep a length of Gorilla tape wrapped around my tire lever in my saddle bag specifically for tire cuts.
Old 10-10-18, 07:33 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Like others stated.. I have great luck with a piece of gorilla tape. I have a few rounds on my pump. I don't think I have a tire that doesn't have at least one piece. For tubeless tires I use a standard tube patch instead, the gorilla tape works but doesnt last and wrinkles up from being constantly in the liquid sealant. I've tried just glue on a slit from the outside with rubber cement and super glue. They work but in my experience, not more than a days riding..
Old 10-11-18, 03:13 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Tires are a composite of a fabric structure encased in rubber. They provide the structural strength.
Tubes are merely air-proof liners with marginal structural strength. This makes tube patches a kinda-sorta option for patching tire cuts. Tube patches need to be stretchy to work with the tube, tires can't be (more than marginally) stretchy.
If the cut is small enough not to reduce the structural strength of the tire, tube patches will do a decent job of preventing road grime from making its way into the tire.
If the cut is big enough to open up, make the tire bulge around the cut under pressure, then a tube patch is unlikely to work well.
I might try just about anything as a roadside fix to make it back. But any damage spotted at home that includes the casing gets treated with something with limited stretch. Non-Woven, nylon fabric etc laminated in with Liqui-Sole.
Gorilla tape and all its kin is a very effective ride-saver. Had a more than inch long sidewall gash on my last mtb ride. A length of tape running from bead to bead(and over the bead, to the outside, for extra fixation) let me finish the ride.
Old 10-13-18, 12:32 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Another vote for Gorilla tape. Works a treat, and lasts a long time as a tire boot!
Old 10-13-18, 02:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Bike shops have boots to place in tires for this. They have adhesive on one side to keep them in place so they wont budge out of the cut.
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I carry these: https://www.parktool.com/product/eme...tire-boot-tb-2

I once had a sidewall slashed open by a rock, leaving a hole I could put my thumb through.
I didn't think the boot could handle a hole that bad, but it got me home, six miles away.
I had a cut, maybe 3/8" in one almost new tire, so I decided to try one of the Park boots.

Upon first trying it, the boot bumped with every tire revolution.

So, I took it out and cut it in half and put it back in.

About 500 miles later, the boot wore through the tube. So, I taped the edges down with electrical tape, and another 500 miles, and the boot literally disintegrated (plus, I think the hole wore through the boot, and started eating into my tube).

The edges on those boots are square not tapered.

Anyway, those are designed as temporary boots to get a person home, and not for long-term use.

As far as patches, you can buy Radial Tire patches that are designed specifically to go over holes in tires. I did one once on a tire with moderate sidewall damage, and it lasted well, although I think I did get some minor bulging, so it wasn't as strong as I had hoped, but it did the trick.

One user recommends using sail cloth remnants from a sailing shop... I need to track some down someday to try.
Old 10-13-18, 08:31 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had a cut, maybe 3/8" in one almost new tire, so I decided to try one of the Park boots.

About 500 miles later, the boot wore through the tube. So, I taped the edges down with electrical tape, and another 500 miles, and the boot literally disintegrated (plus, I think the hole wore through the boot, and started eating into my tube).

Anyway, those are designed as temporary boots to get a person home, and not for long-term use.
Agreed.
Any time I get damage bad enough to need a boot, I plan to replace the tire as soon as I get home.
Old 10-13-18, 03:45 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Orient the tire so that the patch is opposite your valve stem, and your wheel may be in balance for the first time ever.

You sure?

When I was working in a shop I installed a LOT of bike computers. I always wanted to mount the wheel magnet on the lightest part of the wheel so I'd spin the wheel to find where it stopped. Almost always the valve stem was the light point of the wheel.
Old 10-13-18, 03:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You sure?

When I was working in a shop I installed a LOT of bike computers. I always wanted to mount the wheel magnet on the lightest part of the wheel so I'd spin the wheel to find where it stopped. Almost always the valve stem was the light point of the wheel.
I’m sure that every time I let one of my wheels come to rest, the stem is at the bottom.

Maybe it is the lead valve stem caps I use.
Old 10-13-18, 04:06 PM
Guest User 1923242

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK

As far as patches, you can buy Radial Tire patches that are designed specifically to go over holes in tires. I did one once on a tire with moderate sidewall damage, and it lasted well, although I think I did get some minor bulging, so it wasn't as strong as I had hoped, but it did the trick.

One user recommends using sail cloth remnants from a sailing shop... I need to track some down someday to try.
If you can`t find SAIL CLOTH you might try untreated ( raw ) artists canvas....
Old 10-13-18, 04:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cutting up an old cheap Sew-up tire is a very good boot source.
gaffers tape is good , the fabric backs up cut casing threads..

Hypalon .. Zodiac boats are made from it,

and Park sells a packaged tire boot swatch,,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-13-18 at 04:14 PM.