Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going Tubeless - Few Queries

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 06:37 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

Decided I'm going to bite the bullet and go tubeless as we do suffer from thorns around here and have googled how to etc. but still have some queries … and quite a few … sorry

I don't expect anyone to answer all of them but even just picking off bits you happen to know off the top of your head would be much appreciated.

There’s quite a big cost difference between Joes, Orange, Stans and Effetto … are they in essence all pretty much the same or is one easier / better to work with / set up and more reliable than any of the others??

Am I better off buying individual bits or a kit .. seems like there's plus and minuses to both, the Stans kit I looked at seemed so much cheaper wit the little bottles of sealant it came with, I could also buy a bigger pint bottle at the same time for the same cost??

I’m looking at doing my gravel bike initially … how do I know what width tape I need (rims state 17mm inner width) and how far up the rim do I run it … over where the bead of the tyre will go and as close to the top of the rim as possible or stop short of where the bead will sit????

Can I use the same tape for my 29er rims which state 19c rims?

Is an applicator a good idea from the start / does it make it easier than leaving a portion of the tyre open to pour it in and fit the small remaining part of the rim thereafter and are they needed for longer term tops ups … in which case I may as well get one from the start?

Do I need to buy a separate Valve Core remover or do they come with the kits .. the Stans one is £10.99 do I need to pay this or are there much cheaper ones available … think the one for my Schrader was a cap for the valve and 20/30 pence.

Is it just Presta or can I go Schrader ??

Are repair kits a good idea to take with you in case you get a “bigger” hole … if so any recommendations

Maintenance … How do you know when, how often to top up and how much to put in and do I need a bigger bottle of sealant from the start or will the 1st fill from smaller bottles keep me going for ages???

I’m currently running my tubed at 55 psi, as the summer comes and we’re into harder less muddy ground I’d possibly push that up to 65/70 … is that OK with tubeless / is there a recommended psi to keep them below??

In terms of parts needed I’m guessing: Tape, sealant, valves and possibly syringe and repair kit … have I missed anything off the list???

It's one of those ... when you 1st do it seems quite daunting with a hundred queries but once you've done it 2 / 3 times won't even think about it and I do re-iterate I know it’s a big ask / list if anyone knows the answer to even just one of the queries please do post and I really don’t expect anyone to spend ages going through it and answering all the queries and all help will be much appreciated

Last edited by Witterings; 03-28-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 07:25 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The biggest thing that makes it easier for a beginner is to buy the tires from whoever manufacturers the rim. Everything else is details.

Other than that, yeah, your list looks fine. Buy the various pieces and parts and suffer through a few tire changes until you find whatever tires fit whichever rims you have.

There’s quite a big cost difference between Joes, Orange, Stans and Effetto - Doesn't matter

Am I better off buying individual bits or a kit - Doesn't matter, I keep a pint of Stan's in the fridge

how do I know what width tape I need (rims state 17mm inner width) - 17mm, tape should fill the valley between lips

Can I use the same tape - You'll need to trim it to 17mm, so probably no.

Is an applicator a good idea from the start - You should inject the sealant via the valve using a syringe. No? Then just pour it into the tire before mounting.

Do I need to buy a separate Valve Core remover - No, but they are nicer to use

Is it just Presta or can I go Schrader - Presta is the game

Are repair kits a good idea to take with you in case you get a “bigger” hole - If you use the matched tires and rims you'll be able to use tube patches and inflate whilst on a ride. Otherwise, yeah, buy whatever snake oil external patch makes you happy. Carry a phone.

Maintenance … How do you know when, how often to top up - You are going to screw up the first couple of mountings if the tires don't seat easily. Get the big bottle.

I’m currently running my tubed at 55 psi - Should be fine.

In terms of parts ... have I missed anything off the list? Tires that work well with your rims comes to mind, other than that, no.
Old 03-28-19, 08:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
The first thing about tubeless bicycle tires is to talk about the specific bike, wheels and tire width you are asking about. I have been riding road tubeless tires for almost 10 years. When I started, pretty much the only choice for road tubeless tires came from Hutchenson. Over the years, I have used their tires sometimes with and sometimes without using sealant. My current Fusion5 tubeless tires hold air almost as well as conventional clinchers with butyl inner tubes without using any sealant at all. Sealant will allow road tubeless to become almost puncture proof. However, even without sealant, road tubeless tires are much less likely to flat
Old 03-28-19, 09:16 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I did tubeless the simple way :

got tubless tires.
Taped my rims
Added Stan’s no tube sealant & stems
2 years ago ...
been riding them for a few thousand miles

Old 03-29-19, 03:37 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Cheers for the replies .. much appreciated

Is there any way to know what tyres may work with what rims or is it just trial en error, this is the bike / wheels here although I'm currently running 38mm Gravel King SK's on it
https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/138/silex-400
Old 03-29-19, 04:45 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have seen some YouTube vids using Gorilla Tape. Is that really a viable option?
Old 03-29-19, 04:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Joes, Orange, Stans and Effetto … are they in essence all pretty much the same or is one easier / better to work with / set up and more reliable than any of the others??
They are not the same. Most people use Orange Seal or Orange Seal Endurance.

Is an applicator a good idea from the start / does it make it easier than leaving a portion of the tyre open to pour it in and fit the small remaining part of the rim thereafter and are they needed for longer term tops ups … in which case I may as well get one from the start?
Sealant is not poured into the tire. It is injected into the valve stem with the core removed. There are many good articles around the internet on how it is done.

Is it just Presta or can I go Schrader ??
Just presta. No Schrader.

IAre repair kits a good idea to take with you in case you get a “bigger” hole … if so any recommendations
You might want to carry tire plugs but also learn how to use them. It makes no sense to carry something you don't know how to use.

IMaintenance … How do you know when, how often to top up and how much to put in and do I need a bigger bottle of sealant from the start or will the 1st fill from smaller bottles keep me going for ages???
Use a zip tie as a dip stick. Baseline by checking when you first mount the tire and add sealant. Check every month or whenever you clean the chain. When it gets low add some. Most people buy a spare bottle.

Orange Seal comes with a dipstick.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-29-19 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 06:13 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Orange seal all the way.
For my road bike I only run Hutchinson. I had some Schwalbes and they wore out too quickly.
For my bikepacking bike, I run Vittoria Mezcals.
I would never go back to tubes.

Caveat. Our tandems, road and mountain, both run tubes. A little better for sidewall support.
Old 03-29-19, 09:27 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
I did tubeless the simple way :

got tubless tires.
Taped my rims
Added Stan’s no tube sealant & stems
2 years ago ...
been riding them for a few thousand miles

This is EXACTLY how I started with tubeless. Only recently have I changed it up and started using different tyres, different rims, and different sealant.
Gotta say though, I am happy with the tubeless option. Never looked back.