Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

7 speed freewheels are not all the same?

Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 05:05 PM
zsir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

early 90’s Cannondale 7 speed suntour freewheel hub. Replaced 14-30 freewheel with dnp 11-28 freewheel. Problem is the wheel won’t turn because the freewheel contacts the frame. It seems the stack height is taller on the 11-30. Any advice I wasn’t expecting this and at this point of target find a cassette wheel.

Ruler touching where frame contacts

Old 04-16-23, 04:48 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Why did you need a replacement freewheel? The Suntour freewheels were (and still are) the best ever produced. Your Winner isn't a bad unit at all, and almost certainly higher quality than the new replacement. The teeth of the Suntour look good.
As for a solution to your problem, the only thing you can do would be to add a spacer under your lock nut. This is going to shift your rim over a bit, so you'll have to dish your wheel to center.
Old 04-19-23, 08:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Freewheels have always varied in stack height between brands/models. Now you know.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-19-23, 10:35 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
It does look like the outboard lockring & body on the DNP does stick out farther than the flush end on the Winner, even if the cog spacing is 5 mm on both. The DNP might also protrude more on the inboard side of the freewheel, placing the mechanism farther out on the hub.

I haven't yet run into this problem myself, but I could see it occurring. I've run into a different problem where I swapped a 7 speed threaded freewheel wheel for a 7 speed freehub wheel and the old Suntour derailleur wouldn't throw far enough inward to engage the innermost (largest) cog even with the L screw all the way out.
Old 04-19-23, 02:53 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The DNP freewheel is specifically known to be wider than other 7 speed freewheels. Just go with the tried and true Sunrace 7 sp freewheel.