Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

1999 Timberline GT - Is this a decent bike?

Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-23, 06:49 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

I just bought a 1999 Timberline GT with the 7 Speed Shimano Brifters. It seems to be in mint condition, it shifts and brakes perfectly. It has Chromoly frame and says Triple Triangle on it. 18" I am 5'11 is this the right size for me? I like everything about it except the seat hurts and the bars seem really low but maybe thats how MB are ridden. It would be nice I could sit more upright and my a*s not hurt.

Last edited by BikePower; 08-06-23 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-07-23, 05:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Those are not MTB STI levers they are just cheaper brake levers with shifters not really related to this sub forum. In terms of the bike it is a lower end bike, not really a great mountain bike but fine to ride. In terms of your saddle it is pointing down which means you are putting more pressure on your hands and probably that will cause some pain in the rear. However it could be once you get the saddle properly set up for your needs it might not feel bad. You really got to ride the bike and adjust it before you can say if a saddle is not right.
Old 08-07-23, 06:25 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Those are not MTB STI levers they are just cheaper brake levers with shifters not really related to this sub forum. In terms of the bike it is a lower end bike, not really a great mountain bike but fine to ride. In terms of your saddle it is pointing down which means you are putting more pressure on your hands and probably that will cause some pain in the rear. However it could be once you get the saddle properly set up for your needs it might not feel bad. You really got to ride the bike and adjust it before you can say if a saddle is not right.
they arent Brifters? I thought brifters were intergrated brake and shifter levers? They are indexed. What would be a good replacement for these shifters/brake levers? Thanks. btw it was only $55 so I have some room to upgrade components
Old 08-07-23, 07:41 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
they arent Brifters? I thought brifters were intergrated brake and shifter levers? They are indexed. What would be a good replacement for these shifters/brake levers? Thanks. btw it was only $55 so I have some room to upgrade components
The term "brifters" refers to the integrated brake/shifter combination on road bikes, like Shimano STI or similar. SRAM also makes them and there are others. On MTBs they're just "brake/shifter combination" levers.

A replacement for what's on there would be Shimano ST-EF500, which are simply an updated version of what you have. Is there a reason you need to replace yours? They typically last forever and work well while they're doing it.

The GT is a very decent bike, but an 18" frame seems small for someone 5'11". You can raise the handlebars with a taller stem but it may be difficult to dial things in with a too-small frame.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-07-23, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
They are together in the same pod but not a road brake and shifter combination. With an STI lever the brake lever is also a shift lever. I would just ride the bike if it works. Nothing to really upgrade, maybe the frame is decent enough, it is a 4130 chromo frame but probably nothing super exceptional. It just depends on what the issues are that you want different parts for.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-07-23, 08:25 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The term "brifters" refers to the integrated brake/shifter combination on road bikes, like Shimano STI or similar. SRAM also makes them and there are others. On MTBs they're just "brake/shifter combination" levers.

A replacement for what's on there would be Shimano ST-EF500, which are simply an updated version of what you have. Is there a reason you need to replace yours? They typically last forever and work well while they're doing it.

The GT is a very decent bike, but an 18" frame seems small for someone 5'11". You can raise the handlebars with a taller stem but it may be difficult to dial things in with a too-small frame.
Im happy with the brakes and the shifters. They are both smooth as butter and as quiet as a mouse pissing on a cotton ball. I do think the 18" frame is too small. For my legs to go all the way down (knees still slightly bent) the seat has to be so high that I have to bend way down to grasp the straight bar handlebar. Feels like I will go over the bars if my center of gravity is nudged forward even slightly. It feels like I need much taller handlebars to be comfortable and safe. I keep the seat much lower than optimal to keep my center of gravity lower and more manageable also. Well thats too bad if it turns out that 18" is too small for me after tweaking. I guess I would need a 20" bike. What size frames did 6' and up guys do in the 90s?
Old 08-07-23, 11:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
For someone 5'11" an 18' can be a little too small but not significantly and that GT even less so, GTs were bigger than Raleighs, Schwinns, or Treks of the same claimed size around that time. Worked in a shop that sold all 4 brands and the GT was always bigger than claimed. However, as it has been pointed out, your seat is set horribly, not only is it pointed down way too much but its also slid all the way forward and more than it should be. These two combined means your not sitting on the seat even close to correctly to determine if it is comfortable. It'll also put undue pressure on your hands well also making you feel like your having to push yourself off the bars making them feel too low. While the seat too far forward will leave you more hunched up making the drop to the bars feel worse. The current drop from the saddle to the bars isn't that bad, get that seat as close to level as possible and back so the clamp is sitting in the middle of the seat rails and then see how it is. After that, just buy a riser bar if you feel its still too low, a 25mm rise would bring it up an inch, a 35mm would be 1.4 inches, more than enough and a cheap solution.
Old 08-08-23, 03:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Im happy with the brakes and the shifters. They are both smooth as butter and as quiet as a mouse pissing on a cotton ball. I do think the 18" frame is too small. For my legs to go all the way down (knees still slightly bent) the seat has to be so high that I have to bend way down to grasp the straight bar handlebar. Feels like I will go over the bars if my center of gravity is nudged forward even slightly. It feels like I need much taller handlebars to be comfortable and safe. I keep the seat much lower than optimal to keep my center of gravity lower and more manageable also. Well thats too bad if it turns out that 18" is too small for me after tweaking. I guess I would need a 20" bike. What size frames did 6' and up guys do in the 90s?
I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam and I ride a 22" MTB frame, which was usually the largest frame size offered. I'm talking '89-96 Trek Singletracks, and Specialized Rockhoppers. Both of my wife's Rockhoppers are 17" (one inch smaller than yours) and she's only 5'3".

I hate to say it, but you probably shouldn't spend much effort (or any money) trying to make this bike fit you. Sure, you can always screw around with stems, riser bars, super-high seatpost, etc, but it's a losing proposition. It will always be awkward and probably look ridiculous. For only $55 you don't have much into it so far. I'd sell it and continue your search. Or keep it around and use it for parts. Or maybe you have a smaller friend or family member, probably a female or a teenager, that needs a good bicycle. Clean it up, tune it up, and give it away.
Old 08-08-23, 05:08 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam and I ride a 22" MTB frame, which was usually the largest frame size offered. I'm talking '89-96 Trek Singletracks, and Specialized Rockhoppers. Both of my wife's Rockhoppers are 17" (one inch smaller than yours) and she's only 5'3".

I hate to say it, but you probably shouldn't spend much effort (or any money) trying to make this bike fit you. Sure, you can always screw around with stems, riser bars, super-high seatpost, etc, but it's a losing proposition. It will always be awkward and probably look ridiculous. For only $55 you don't have much into it so far. I'd sell it and continue your search. Or keep it around and use it for parts. Or maybe you have a smaller friend or family member, probably a female or a teenager, that needs a good bicycle. Clean it up, tune it up, and give it away.
What did 6' and up ride in 89 to 96 if 22 was what a 5'11 guy needed? I dont know what to conclude. Im going to adjust the seat as I was advised and get a short riser bar and see. What size did GT advise for 5'11?
Old 08-08-23, 05:15 PM
Jeff Neese

What did 6' and up ride in 89 to 96 if 22 was what a 5'11 guy needed? I dont know what to conclude. Im going to adjust the seat as I was advised and get a short riser bar and see. What size did GT advise for 5'11?
You could go this route. My wife's "MUP bike".

Old 08-08-23, 05:23 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

You could go this route. My wife's "MUP bike".

Thats pretty extreme. Maybe something in the middle? maybe a bmx stem and lo rise bmx bars? I could keep looking for a 20" frame, bikes are all over the place on marketplace now.
Old 08-09-23, 06:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Thats pretty extreme. Maybe something in the middle? maybe a bmx stem and lo rise bmx bars? I could keep looking for a 20" frame, bikes are all over the place on marketplace now.
BMX bars tend to have different diameters, both clamping area and grip, so be careful.

I still think you're going down a rabbit hole that you don't need to go down, just because you got a good deal on the bike. You're going to spend money and make compromises that you don't have to. Look for a larger frame that you won't have to make so many modifications to just to make it rideable.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-11-23, 12:52 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
change of stem by a Ritchey comp elevated 30° stem could be a solution, I did it for my jamis moutain bike and also added a Ritchey Comp Rizer 31.8 - 740mm / 35mm Rise MTB Handlebar - BB Black because the frame I bought was a 17 when I ride on usually 19-20 MTB frames