Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike pedal moves forward as I walk it forward

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 09:44 AM
inoob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a problem amego infinite plus ebike which is similar to the ncm moscow .. So if i walk my bike forward , the pedal also goes forward too meaning the ebike pedal assist will kick in at the same time lunging the bike forward.. so im hoping to take out the chain tmrw and ride it full throttle without the chain..

im pretty sure my derailer or something is messed since i don't pedal i thought it'd be good to just remove the chain.. I want to disable pedal assist in-case i kick the pedal and have it throttle on me by accident , is there a way and does anyone know what the problem with the bike could be?
Old 01-16-24, 10:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
How long have you had the bike? If less than a couple years, then go back to the shop and ask them if there are seeing any issues in other bikes of the same model or if they have any idea. Maybe you just need to make sure it's turned off when you walk it forward.

For a regular bike I'd say that the crank turning as you walk it isn't an issue if you don't have any issues while riding it. But your case isn't the same and you have a real issue. However like regular bikes, maybe it's a freewheel or free hub on the rear that is dirty and needs some lube. Or if you are in a cold area as much is now, then maybe the lube is just too viscous from the cold weather.

Welcome to BF.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-16-24, 10:33 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by inoob
i have a problem amego infinite plus ebike which is similar to the ncm moscow .. So if i walk my bike forward , the pedal also goes forward too meaning the ebike pedal assist will kick in at the same time lunging the bike forward.. so im hoping to take out the chain tmrw and ride it full throttle without the chain..
So possibly, because of friction, the freehub is pushing the chain forward with enough force for the motor to think you're pedaling, so the assist kicks in. Really, the quickest way to test this is to try it with the motor turned off.
Old 01-16-24, 11:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
This sounds like an e-moped you wish to covert to a motorcycle. I wouldn't recommend either. However if you are moving the moped forward while walking I suggest turning the moped battery off. You will need a chain to drive your rear hub motor but if you maintain things and learn how to use the non-motorcycle portion of it you will be in better shape when things go bad as they have. Otherwise if you are looking to just use it purely as a throttled vehicle they make electric motorcycles which make more sense you cannot use an e-moped on trails and sidewalks anyway (at least in most places) and you shouldn't be in a bicycle lane with an e-moped so if you are already on the street I would rather have a motorcycle which will likely have more range and more power to it so I can better keep up with traffic and I won't have to pedal it or worry about the pedals and if I have one with a belt drive that will eliminate a lot of maintenance plus I will likely get better brakes designed for the motorcycle so it seems like a win win on your front.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-16-24, 03:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
i have a problem amego infinite plus ebike which is similar to the ncm moscow .. So if i walk my bike forward , the pedal also goes forward too meaning the ebike pedal assist will kick in at the same time lunging the bike forward...
This sounds like something in the freewheel or freehub has fouled, so it turns forward as your wheel turns forward...which turns the chain and turns the crank and energizes the pedal assist sensor. The proper fix for this is diagnosing why the wheel does not freewheel forward correctly...though removing the chain and using it in throttle-only mode could work temporarily (more on this at the end).

I want to disable pedal assist in-case i kick the pedal and have it throttle on me by accident
If your concern is accidental activation of the system due to the pedal assist, you probably have a few options:
  1. Disable pedal assist through the on-board computer. Most e-bike systems allow you to set the pedal assist mode to "off'' or 0, but still allow for throttle only. This would be the least invasive way to do it.
  2. You may be able to disconnect the pedal assist sensor. Depending on your specific e-bike system, that may disable only the pedal assist system, or it may disable the whole system. You'd need to experiment with that to be sure.
  3. Most e-bikes come with brake levers with small activation sensors, which disables the entire motor system if it senses brake application. This may help alleviate your concern -- if equipped with these sensors, application of the brake should disable the system, regardless of what your pedals are doing.
Presuming the options above don't work, removing the chain wouldn't necessarily fix your problem with pedal assist, and might even make it worse. Without the chain connected to the crankset, it would be very difficult to keep the cranks completely still while riding, so the pedal assist mode would still activate. Again, turning the system off with the on-board computer is your best option, if that's available to you.
Old 01-17-24, 10:54 AM
Dfelgner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fix for pedal moving

im pretty sure my derailer or something is messed since i don't pedal i thought it'd be good to just remove the chain.. I want to disable pedal assist in-case i kick the pedal and have it throttle on me by accident , is there a way and does anyone know what the problem with the bike could be?
The default on the Das kit controller is pedal assist 1. If you are going to walk the bike click it down to 0 and it won’t jump forward as the pedals move. I think there is also a walk mode that does basically the same thing but I found just going to 0 whenever I stop to be the fastest & safest thing.