Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changed read cassette and hoping my largest ring isn't too big

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Changed read cassette and hoping my largest ring isn't too big

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 10:28 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I am itching to get a thumbnail on those jockey wheels & spin the crank backwards to clear off the gunk
Really? I understand the satisfaction of scraping it off, but please use a screwdriver.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-21-24, 11:41 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Really? I understand the satisfaction of scraping it off, but please use a screwdriver.
thumbnail in a glove, plus a rag

It’s given me an idea though. I might get something 3D printed.
Old 01-21-24, 12:42 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by h_curtis
Yeah, I am lucky to be able to commute on some single track to work, but it takes its toll on the poor bike with mud and debris. Debating on tearing the entire bike down and running new, but also thinking about upgrading from the Surly ECR to something better. Hoping to ride from the Pittsburgh area to Key West within two years and might want a better setup. The ECR is mighty slow and heavy, but tourers usually are pretty damn heavy.
see a lot of people touring with ‘gravel bikes’
Old 01-21-24, 12:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
"I shifted to my smallest sprocket." Said nobody, ever.
This is a bold and empty statement. I suspect you haven't worked a LBS service counter and listened to the general public try to describe what happed to their bike. Andy
Old 01-21-24, 01:21 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This is a bold and empty statement. I suspect you haven't worked a LBS service counter and listened to the general public try to describe what happed to their bike. Andy
Maybe. At least I'm not full of myself. Besides, I wrote to somebody else here.
For the record, I worked several years at bike shops and could eventually figure out what the general public meant.
So, call the rear cogs whatever you want. Doesn't matter to me.
Old 01-28-24, 10:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
We refer to the rear as cogs and the front as rings.
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
"I shifted to my smallest sprocket." Said nobody, ever.
I was a little confused with the OP too, not knowing he was referring a sprocket on the cassette and not a chain ring.

I actually always refer to it as a sprocket (or cogwheel), because that's what it actually is. The teeth are the cogs whether it's on a cassette sprocket, a chain wheel or a gear. That's not to say I don't understand when people call the sprocket a "cog". I also understand when people refer to a tire as 25mm vs the bizarre 25c that's seems to be current jargon. I also understand "irregardless" and "I could care less". But cogs and sprockets (or cogwheels) are different things, and who knows, some day I might have to actually distinguish between an issue with the sprocket and an issue with one or more cogs on the sprocket. I think knowing the difference would help, instead of "it sems like one of the cogs on the cog is is bent or chipped or something".

Last edited by Camilo; 01-28-24 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-28-24, 11:32 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, just generally experienced and an engineer.

I think the problem with the 46 is a hyperspaceglide issue; Look at the ramp angles on the cog in the rotational position where the derailleur would first start to put the chain onto the 46, and adjust the derailleur or axle position fore/aft accordingly to try to make the chain match the angle. But it might just be too big a jump; I don't know the next smaller cog than the 46, but somewhere online, it should be specified what the max jump up should be (down jump is easy). But I thought I have seen jumps that big on "mega-range" cassettes, well before big 1X systems.

My 11-30 cassette is a really cheap one with an awful fascimile attempt at hyperglide, terrible ramp profiles, just C shaped, difficult shift onto the big cog with the original "compact" derailleur, but fitting a conventional style derailleur solved that, flawless shifts now.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-29-24 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-30-24, 03:01 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The pictured rear derailer is an RD-M591, with a 36T largest sprocket specification. It's a 9-speed derailer, so I presume you're friction shifting it across a 10-speed cassette (or else using some sort of cable pull ratio manipulator). You could probably keep it and use a Wolf Tooth RoadLink or similar to physically lower the derailer so that it clears something larger than a 36T. I'd use caution here as this may degrade shifting across the smaller sprockets, as the upper chain pulley won't be as close to the sprockets, but this matters less with friction anyway.