Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Handlebars in Old Style Stem.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 01:48 PM
saulgoldie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Happy new year to all.

I am adjusting the top tube length on a couple of bikes by installing different stems. The bikes came with short stems. I have road style handlebars, and the older style stems that do not come apart. The reason these replacement stems are useful is that they are the right (longer) length and they fit into the steering tubes of the respective bikes. Also, of course, because they are here and now. I would rather keep these stems than to buy newer vintage. To get the bars into the stems, I need to somehow open up the jaw of the stem.

I tried wiggling the stem back and forth. But there is not enough opening in the jaws to do it smoothly, or even at all. I looked on Youtube for help. But the demos I found were all for the newer stems that break apart. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Saul
Old 01-01-24, 02:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Are you using mountain bike stems with road bars?
Different diameters.
Old 01-01-24, 02:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just as a matter of jargon, you're not adjusting the top tube length, you are adjusting the reach. The bike's top tube can't be adjusted.

Are you talking about quill stems, like this? If so, you need to remove the handlebar tape and brake levers and thread the bar through the stem's bar clamp.

Watch this video. It will tell you everything you need to know about this
Bing Videos

Last edited by Camilo; 01-02-24 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-01-24, 02:50 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
As mentioned above make sure they are matching clamp/bar diameters. The key to getting the bars in the clamp is to rotate the bars (or stem is easier if it's not installed yet) as you try to get it around the bar bends. Should go through with some patience and finessing. Usually not necessary to pry open the clamp but sometimes needed but don't pry it too far open.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-01-24, 08:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by saulgoldie
To get the bars into the stems, I need to somehow open up the jaw of the stem.
Vintage quill stem clamps and corresponding bar sleeves must match almost exactly to work safely. So a 26mm clamp should not be paired with a 25.4 bar sleeve, but with a bar that also measures 26mm.

Once you match the two components properly, you may still need to pry the stem clamp a little to work the bar sleeve into place. For this task, I use a small bolt or allen key.

Here's more info on clamp size from Sheldon:

Old 01-02-24, 11:51 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I always pry them open slightly with a flat screwdriver.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-02-24, 02:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Get a threadless adapter for your bike or bikes and then changing stems and bars becomes easier. You don't even have to remove the bar tape, STI's or anything else on the bars when you decide to try a different stem length. Here is one just to show you what it is.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Zoom-Q...rk-286mm-1-1-8

You can find them in all different finishes and colors if you look enough. Of course you'll have to buy the stem too. Notice this and most others go from the 1" quill size to let you use a standard 1 1/8" stem with whatever diameter your handlebars clamp area is.

On your current stem and bars, you have to turn the bars to find what will allow the bends to go through the stem. You might also have to pry the clamp on the bars open just a very little bit.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-02-24 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-02-24, 03:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-02-24, 03:23 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
as somebody pointed out above, at least on Cinelli stems, the lower part of the stem (where the clamp bolt is) is narrower, and by rotating the bars you can find the way to slide the bars thru the stem such that the inner radius of the bar bends are oriented towards that narrower part of the stem.

Mismatched bar / stem combos may not be so user-friendly.

I am not a big fan of using "a big screwdriver" to spread the clamping piece of the stem. there is a technique using a bolt and a coin that is very controllable. Don't spread it any wider than necessary.

/markp
Old 01-02-24, 03:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Just as a matter of jargon, you're not adjusting the top tube length, you are adjusting the reach. The bike's top tube can't be adjusted.

Are you talking about quill stems, like this? If so, you need to remove the handlebar tape and brake levers and thread the bar through the stem's bar clamp. Watch this video.
Bing Videos
He's talking about length no reach, which quill stems certainly vary in as well as reach.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/nit...4109#attr=3773
Old 01-02-24, 04:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Some stem clamps (of the single bolt design) are too wide for the bar's tight curves to fit through. This is why some stem clamps have their undersides next to the clamp's slot beveled back, to gain more clearance. Still many times the clamp needs to be pried open a touch while wiggling/snaking the bars through. The industry has made specific pry tools for this (Specialized as example) but with the advent of the split clamp two bolt designs are no longer needed or offered. Flat blade screwdrivers and the open end of a wrench sometimes also work but the chance of the pry tool slipping and/or marring the stem are greater.

I suggest that one make really sure the stem is being slid on the bars pointing in the correct direction before prying anything. Andy
Old 01-02-24, 05:02 PM
Camilo

Are you talking about quill stems, like this? If so, you need to remove the handlebar tape and brake levers and thread the bar through the stem's bar clamp.

Bing Videos
Originally Posted by dedhed
He's talking about length no reach, which quill stems certainly vary in as well as reach.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/nit...4109#attr=3773
I guess only the OP can clarify, which might be difficult because he is confused about terminology.

Yeah, of course quill stems can vary in terms of what you call "length" which I guess is the length of the insertion (aka height) and also the extension length. Other (more?) common ways of referring to these are "length" for the extension and "height" (not length) for how tall it is. Nitto makes some very tall stems, up to 225 of insertion length as well as a variety of extension lengths, e.g. 80, 90, 100, etc. mm.

Blah, blah, blah... But regardless.

He said
I am adjusting the top tube length on a couple of bikes by installing different stems. The bikes came with short stem.

Since he referred to adjusting the "top tube length" and stems being "short", I thought he was obviously referring to adjusting the reach by adjusting the extension length of the stem. From your comment and link, I think you're thinking he's referring to the insertion length/height of the stems, not the extension length? I doubt that based on his original statement.

But I could be wrong in understanding both the OP and your comment. So, please excuse me if I am.

Again, only the OP knows what he's hoping to do and what he is talking about vis a vis the stem and "top tube length", I hope he clarifies and the posts have helped him get the bars into the new stem.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-02-24 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-02-24, 05:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Using a bolt and a coin is very controllable.

Interesting idea.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-02-24, 06:25 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
for getting drop bars through this type of stem usually requires some turning of the bars as you work your way through the curved parts of the bars.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-02-24, 07:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I think opening the stem is what the OP is needing. And mpetry912 's method is a far better way than how I've always done it.

Old 01-03-24, 06:14 PM
saulgoldie

Bing Videos

Yes, "reach" is the term that I forgot. And yes, too, it is a quill type stem. Also, the handlebars are the right size for the stem. Also also, they are road style handlebars. However, I looked at the video. And the place in the video where it looks like the stem slips off easily in the video is the place where it gets stuck for me. I *think* I remember that there was some way of wedging the stem open enough to run the handlebars through. The penny trick does not work because the threading is not part of the stem; it is a pinch bolt with a nut.

Thanks to all for your wise guidance. I think I'm going to take it to may all-time favorite mechanic who taught me most of what I know.

Saul
Old 01-03-24, 06:28 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
saul, you have to turn the bars when you get to the start of the curved parts. go slowly and trial and error it. Yes, prying the bit open a bit with a screwdriver helps, but its the turny turny in the right direction/position that is the trick.

I havent done it in years, but certainly recall wondering how the .... to do it the first time, and getting the bars jammed a bit, until I thought things through properly and figured it out as I went.

good luck, even if someone else shows you, it will be a skill to learn.
On one of my old bikes about 30 years ago, I could have done with a stem a bit shorter or taller, but just couldnt be bothered screwing around with removing the tape, the brakes and messing getting the bars out again, so just left it and lived with it.
Newer stems are so much easier!
Likes For djb:
Old 01-05-24, 12:11 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by saulgoldie
. The penny trick does not work because the threading is not part of the stem; it is a pinch bolt with a nut.
Wouldn’t the nut as per the photo still hold it, if there’s enough of a gap to get one in there?
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-05-24, 11:09 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Vintage quill stem clamps and corresponding bar sleeves must match almost exactly to work safely. So a 26mm clamp should not be paired with a 25.4 bar sleeve, but with a bar that also measures 26mm.

Once you match the two components properly, you may still need to pry the stem clamp a little to work the bar sleeve into place. For this task, I use a small bolt or allen key.

Here's more info on clamp size from Sheldon:

ISTR there was also a 26.2 mm bar/stem, 3TTT perhaps?
Old 01-05-24, 11:16 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I always pry them open slightly with a flat screwdriver.
I find a cold chisel works well, just wiggle it gently into the gap. On steel stems you can be more forceful.
Old 01-05-24, 02:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Since he referred to adjusting the "top tube length" and stems being "short", I thought he was obviously referring to adjusting the reach by adjusting the extension length of the stem. From your comment and link, I think you're thinking he's referring to the insertion length/height of the stems, not the extension length? I doubt that based on his original statement.
Pedantics for sure (what else is BF good for, right?), but I think the definition of a bike's reach is independent of stem length. I think most define it as the horizontal distance between the center of the crank to the top point of the head tube, where the steer tube exits through the upper headset bearing.

From: https://road.cc/content/feature/what...portant-266968

Using that definition, you can't change a bike's reach by changing the stem's length. Conversationally, though, I think we all know the intent here...to change the distance from the saddle to the end of the stem.

Is there a well-defined metric for that? Something like "effective reach"? Some sort of horizontal measurement from the end of the stem, where the bar mounts, rearward to where it'd intersect the seat post?
Old 01-06-24, 11:36 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Pedantics for sure (what else is BF good for, right?), but I think the definition of a bike's reach is independent of stem length. I think most define it as the horizontal distance between the center of the crank to the top point of the head tube, where the steer tube exits through the upper headset bearing.

From: https://road.cc/content/feature/what...portant-266968

Using that definition, you can't change a bike's reach by changing the stem's length. Conversationally, though, I think we all know the intent here...to change the distance from the saddle to the end of the stem.

Is there a well-defined metric for that? Something like "effective reach"? Some sort of horizontal measurement from the end of the stem, where the bar mounts, rearward to where it'd intersect the seat post?
After reading your post, I was wondering what it's called when you lengthen or shorten the stem length. I did know that reach vis a vis frame geometry is as you describe. So I looked it up. (to add ammo to my pedantry stock )

I guess what it's called, and what I was talking about, and what the OP was trying to do -s to change "handlebar reach"? Oh well.
Old 01-07-24, 09:34 AM
saulgoldie

After reading your post, I was wondering what it's called when you lengthen or shorten the stem length. I did know that reach vis a vis frame geometry is as you describe. So I looked it up. (to add ammo to my pedantry stock )

I guess what it's called, and what I was talking about, and what the OP was trying to do -s to change "handlebar reach"? Oh well.
The correct word does not matter substantively. what I need is a longer distance between my tush and my hands on the bars. The bars I am using are all the proper thickness for the stems that I am talking about. And the stem thicknesses are all the same. So compatibility is not an issue.

Thanks for all the ideas.I think I am going to take the whole schmutz to "ye olde bike shoppe," the one that has been around since back in the day, where they have done this before. Most stuff I can do myself. But this project is vexing.

Saul
Old 01-07-24, 10:21 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Nobody likes a quitter... lol.

Just joking, it sounds like you want a longer stem. The penny bolt and nut will work unless you can't fit the nut and coin between. Regardless it could also be that you need to change up your cables to accommodate the change in reach.

It sounds like you really want to do this yourself, which I support. I would investigate the local area for a co-op. One may have exactly what you are looking for in parts and experience.
Old 01-14-24, 02:16 PM
saulgoldie

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments. I took the parts to a bike shop that I trust. And the mechanic pointed out that you need to have the open part of the stem on the inside of the bend of the bars. All the stems went on the new bars without incident. I feel like such a nimnul!

Anyway, the right sized stems are now on the bikes. And I have no excuse for not riding!

Saul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.