Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bended Fox 32 SC fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bended Fox 32 SC fork

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 03:58 PM
CrBiker96

Bikes: XDS MT3 XT, SCALE 940 2017, GIANT CONTEND SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bended Fox 32 SC fork

So I had a fall, nothing serious and this happened,

I noticed when i was putting the bike on the rack, the Fork was bended it was hard to put the wheel on, however it does function as it should, but can this be fixed ? how on earth does a Fox Fork bends like that so easily ?

FOX 32 PERFORMANCE SC,

Was about to attach the photo but I cannot.
Old 03-03-24, 05:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Without a photo or better explanation of both the fall and damage there's not much I can offer.

Except that when you bend something the needed word is bent, not bended.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-03-24, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Your potentially bent fork might be something that would be best checked out at your local shop. However if the fork is actually bent you really cannot bend it back and I wouldn't want to ride on a damaged fork but with some good pictures we might be able to get some better insight. In terms of posting photos that is easy, get 5+5 posts in the many active threads in the bike forums and then you will be able to post photos easily. Good clear photos of different sides and angles will help a lot.
Old 03-03-24, 07:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
It's not only photos.

A description of the crash that bent it would be very informative.

Mtb forks are built to take decent amounts if abuse, but the b f thing they cannot take is a sizeable front end crash. Sometimes a bad landing off a jump can be like that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-03-24, 09:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Your potentially bent fork might be something that would be best checked out at your local shop. However if the fork is actually bent you really cannot bend it back and I wouldn't want to ride on a damaged fork but with some good pictures we might be able to get some better insight. In terms of posting photos that is easy, get 5+5 posts in the many active threads in the bike forums and then you will be able to post photos easily. Good clear photos of different sides and angles will help a lot.
OP is in COSTA RICA, local might not be so local
Old 03-03-24, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
OP is in COSTA RICA, local might not be so local
Possibly but it does look like they have quite a few shops though maybe not right in the space where they live not really sure.
Old 03-04-24, 08:09 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by CrBiker96
, but can this be fixed ? how on earth does a Fox Fork bends like that so easily ?
Sometimes they are fixable but depends on type of damage and severity. Post a photo when you can which will help us give you advice but it may need to be disassembled to know for sure. I used to ride dirt bikes (motorcycles) back in the 70's when forks were not so sturdy, and it was common to take a bent fork tube and straighten it with a hydraulic press. A fair amount of skill is needed to do it properly but can be done if this is your issue.
Old 03-05-24, 04:00 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Looks like this is tho OP's problem: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/32887694
Old 03-06-24, 02:25 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
That really sucks. I wouldn't ride a suspension fork with bent dropouts. The fork lowers can be replaced without replacing the whole fork. It's around $250USD. It's a relatively easy service--should cost slightly less than a fork lowers service. If you want to do it yourself, you'd just need the lower leg removal tool and appropriate oil (5wt teflon in the left, 20wt gold in the right).

The damage looks somewhat unusual to me--usually with a wheel installed, it's hard to bend the fork so that the dropouts are out of alignment from one another. Could it possibly have been damaged at some point with the wheel off?

A 32SC is a slightly niche product intended for XC racing, and takes a lot of measures to reduce weight. While honestly pretty durable under most use, it's not going to be as durable as a more trail oriented fork and your size, weight, or use may exceed its intended design parameters, or at least result in less leeway in a crash.
Old 03-26-24, 12:18 PM
CrBiker96

Bikes: XDS MT3 XT, SCALE 940 2017, GIANT CONTEND SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So Fox International service center took care of it, they replaced the bottles, and the fix went up to 400 USD,

Bad luck, anyways I will be more careful falling lol
Likes For CrBiker96: