Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold water on a hot day

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cold water on a hot day

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 06:25 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Cold water on a hot day

My solution- Camelback insulated bottles half full with drink of choice. Put in freezer overnight. Top off with cold liquid of choice when I leave. 3 hours of icy goodness on a hot day.
Old 07-04-11, 06:28 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd wager you wouldn't get 2 hrs here in Ga
Old 07-04-11, 06:32 AM
surgeonstone

Your on- Betcha a Di2 shifter. Off course I vary how full before freezing on conditions. If really hot I fill it near full.
Old 07-04-11, 06:37 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried so many variations...it's a 6-7mile drive to where I set off in my downtown region...my water bottles have usually begun to lose most ice by the time I get there (this all during the heat of the day) by the time I make it to the half way point (one bottle down) the other is already pretty much at faucet temp. granted Columbus, Ga tends to be hotter then north GA because it runs along the chattahoochie and the valley is hot. but Di2...youre on!
Old 07-04-11, 07:03 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Your on- Betcha a Di2 shifter. Off course I vary how full before freezing on conditions. If really hot I fill it near full.
Same thing here in TX. I've done that - lasts longer than a plain bottle but no where near 3 hours.
Old 07-04-11, 07:17 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,482 Times in 3,226 Posts
I'm with DDF on this. I ride normally in coastal GA and we've had 44 days now of +90F so far. I don't foresee any break in this.

But you're on the right track.

The problem for me (and I use the Polars) is that if I fill the bottom half and freeze the mass solid I'll drink the liquid right off and then I've got a lump of ice that melts a lot slower than my thirst builds.

My solution is to fill my bottles a little over halfway with ice cubes, put maybe an oz. of water in with the cubes and shake so that the surface of the cubes melt slightly. Then I lay the bottle horizontally in the freezer making sure I've laid the ice cubes the length of the bottle. What I try to do is have a stretched out pyramid of ice in my bottle, heavier at the base but some near the top. Next day when I'm ready to go I add near freezing water to the bottles. I'm getting about 90 minutes of ice water out of two 24 oz. bottles. I find rotating the bottles as I ride helps keep them "equal" as to ice. I think the ice melts a little slower exposed to air than surrounded by water. What I'm saying is that if I drink from one bottle till it's dry the second bottle will have melted and it will be coming up to tepid when I'm ready to use it.

After 90 minutes I'm gonna need to seek a fresh source of water. I've found that most convenience stores will let me put some ice in my bottles from their soda ice maker if I buy a bottle of water and a snack from them.

BTW, a good amount of this water goes down the back of my neck so I only put plain water in them. Carbs and salts come from bananas, the perfect roadie fruit.
Old 07-04-11, 07:21 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop at a subway for ice water and a cookie
Old 07-04-11, 07:25 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by ahsposo
I'm with DDF on this. I ride normally in coastal GA and we've had 44 days now of +90F so far. I don't foresee any break in this.

But you're on the right track.

The problem for me (and I use the Polars) is that if I fill the bottom half and freeze the mass solid I'll drink the liquid right off and then I've got a lump of ice that melts a lot slower than my thirst builds.

My solution is to fill my bottles a little over halfway with ice cubes, put maybe an oz. of water in with the cubes and shake so that the surface of the cubes melt slightly. Then I lay the bottle horizontally in the freezer making sure I've laid the ice cubes the length of the bottle. What I try to do is have a stretched out pyramid of ice in my bottle, heavier at the base but some near the top. Next day when I'm ready to go I add near freezing water to the bottles. I'm getting about 90 minutes of ice water out of two 24 oz. bottles. I find rotating the bottles as I ride helps keep them "equal" as to ice. I think the ice melts a little slower exposed to air than surrounded by water. What I'm saying is that if I drink from one bottle till it's dry the second bottle will have melted and it will be coming up to tepid when I'm ready to use it.

After 90 minutes I'm gonna need to seek a fresh source of water. I've found that most convenience stores will let me put some ice in my bottles from their soda ice maker if I buy a bottle of water and a snack from them.

BTW, a good amount of this water goes down the back of my neck so I only put plain water in them. Carbs and salts come from bananas, the perfect roadie fruit.
Don't forget the fiber
Old 07-04-11, 08:38 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
2 hours in 90 deg weather with Podium Ice bottles, maybe an hour with the Podium Chills. Fill with ice, top with water. After an hour with the Ice bottles I still have little pieces of ice falling out onto me, but since I normally dump water on me, I run out in about 60-90 minutes.

I can't believe I waited so long to check out the Podium bottles. The Ice is a touch heavier (I keep thinking there's some water left) but it does make a difference in coldness.
Old 07-04-11, 09:09 AM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HEY! Waterboy, water tastes better COLD

"Yes, I agree, but to guarantee that the H2O is-is purified, i-it's good to use the heating source, Sterno. It's like my mama always says, 'better safe than-than sorry'."
Old 07-04-11, 09:43 AM
androidtt

Bikes: Felt F1C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Podium Chills - 30-45 minutes in 110-117 degree Arizona haha. Avoiding the afternoon rides after that bout.

The day before yesterday, my car's thermometer read 122 degrees
Old 07-04-11, 10:48 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What good is a bottle that lasts 3hrs in summer heat? You should have killed that bottle already before the first hour was over.
Old 07-04-11, 10:52 AM
JaceK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer warm to hot water, can not stand cold water.
Old 07-04-11, 10:52 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want water to be below 70 pretty much all year the solution is easy... Live in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 07-04-11, 11:11 AM
orcanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just drink it hot. PITA to freeze a bottle overnight, only to drink the liquid dry with a big chunk of ice in the bottom. I don't even notice its hot when i drink it, only that its wet.
Old 07-04-11, 11:20 AM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're definitely not drinking enough water if it lasts for 3 hours.