Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy Record ti 9 speed Ergo shifter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 03:11 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts

I've never owned Campy, so before I take them apart potentially needlessly for service....are the downshifts for these older style brifters especially 'hard'? The upshifts are much easier to push.
Old 04-19-24, 03:42 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I've never owned Campy, so before I take them apart potentially needlessly for service....are the downshifts for these older style brifters especially 'hard'? The upshifts are much easier to push.
I may be biased because 9 speed Ergos are my favorite type of brifter, but no the downshifts are not particularly "hard". I find them to precise and easy to shift, while being comfortable in the hand.
Old 04-19-24, 03:49 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
I may be biased because 9 speed Ergos are my favorite type of brifter, but no the downshifts are not particularly "hard". I find them to precise and easy to shift, while being comfortable in the hand.
It's definitely precise, nothing mushy about it, just I'm surprised by how much more effort is required to push the thumb.

Though, thinking more now, I guess that's to be expected because the thumb shifts will be aided by the cable tension...perhaps once setup on the bike this will make sense.
Old 04-19-24, 11:43 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
It's definitely precise, nothing mushy about it, just I'm surprised by how much more effort is required to push the thumb.

Though, thinking more now, I guess that's to be expected because the thumb shifts will be aided by the cable tension...perhaps once setup on the bike this will make sense.
Yes, the shifting force will be dramatically reduced!

If there was a way to add lube with a needle-point applicator to the indexing ring and indexing springs I would put a squirt of motorcycle chain lube in, but only if this could be done without making a mess or with lube getting under the rubber hood which would be a disaster.
Old 04-20-24, 06:40 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 1,402 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Yes, the shifting force will be dramatically reduced!

If there was a way to add lube with a needle-point applicator to the indexing ring and indexing springs I would put a squirt of motorcycle chain lube in, but only if this could be done without making a mess or with lube getting under the rubber hood which would be a disaster.
I have a little oil bottle with a needle point tip. Where would I aim it? I have to find an exploded parts diagram of these puppies...
Old 04-21-24, 10:44 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 1,440 Posts
Yes, the Campy Ergo design attempts to balance the forces so that both upshifts and downshifts feel the same on the road. When they're not installed, it acts very weird, often skipping over gears in one direction, because the forces are out of balance without the derailleur pulling on the cable.
Old 04-21-24, 11:16 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I have a little oil bottle with a needle point tip. Where would I aim it? I have to find an exploded parts diagram of these puppies...
Branford bike is your ticket.

https://branfordbike.com/new-page
Likes For billytwosheds: