Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Converting DT Swiss / Hugi 240 hub Shimano to Campy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 07:29 PM
jonTu
C'mon DJ...

Bikes: '02 Cervelo Prodigy, '97 Olmo Gara Pista track, '03 Redline Conquest Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A question for anyone out there who knows the inner workings of the DT 240s (a.k.a. Hugi 240): I'm considering buying a 240 wheelset for myself, while my girlfriend is converting her 240-based wheelset for use on her new bike. I'm on Shimano 9, she's on Campy 9. So could I just buy a Campy hub on my new wheelset and swap the freewheeels, or do I need to buy the $80 DT kit? Are the Shimano and Campy hubs themselves actually different? (and yep, I've considered the obvious "just trade wheels" answer, but I've got over 60 pounds on her, rear wheels aren't quite interchangable between us).

Thanks in advance for any knowledge of this that anyone can offer.
-jon.
Old 11-21-05, 07:39 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Well you have to also take into account that you wil lneed to have both wheels redished if you swap the free hubs, so factor the cost of 2 wheel truings into your decision. Yes I believe you CAN do what you are looking at doing.
Old 11-21-05, 07:39 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonTu
A question for anyone out there who knows the inner workings of the DT 240s (a.k.a. Hugi 240): I'm considering buying a 240 wheelset for myself, while my girlfriend is converting her 240-based wheelset for use on her new bike. I'm on Shimano 9, she's on Campy 9. So could I just buy a Campy hub on my new wheelset and swap the freewheeels, or do I need to buy the $80 DT kit? Are the Shimano and Campy hubs themselves actually different? (and yep, I've considered the obvious "just trade wheels" answer, but I've got over 60 pounds on her, rear wheels aren't quite interchangable between us).

Thanks in advance for any knowledge of this that anyone can offer.
-jon.
That does not compute......Campy and shimano cassettes, not freewheels use a different spline pattern. The hub bodies are therefor different.
Old 11-21-05, 07:50 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
That does not compute......Campy and shimano cassettes, not freewheels use a different spline pattern. The hub bodies are therefor different.
He may have said it wrong but what he meant was that he wants to swap free hub bodies from one hub to the other.
Old 11-21-05, 07:56 PM
jonTu
C'mon DJ...

Bikes: '02 Cervelo Prodigy, '97 Olmo Gara Pista track, '03 Redline Conquest Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
He may have said it wrong but what he meant was that he wants to swap free hub bodies from one hub to the other.
Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks for the quick reply, Grasschopper.