WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Grand Prairie/Joe Pool Lake routes?

I posted a while back that I would be moving to the area. Well, it's been a long 2 weeks and I hadn't ridden for about 2 1/2 weeks by the time I jumped onto a bicycle yesterday for my first foray into the area roads.

That, coupled with the fact that I wasn't in top form to begin with, positioned me for an unexpected beating. I live close to I20, just on the south side, in between Robinson and Carrier Pkwy. I took Robinson down to camp wisdom and hooked a left towards Duncanville to Clark Road. Well, along camp wisdom, after stopping at a stop sign, I hit a bit of a brick wall (been having a bit of an illness lately) and had just no energy. I nearly made it to Clark, but at the top of an incline, decided to turn around and head back as I wasn't feeling well and suddenly found out why I was hurting. I had been climbing for quite a while and now it was downhill and 30+ mph over some seriously gnarly asphalt.

On the positive side, I was a bit spoiled by clean, wide shoulders north of Denton and was worried about riding down Robinson with traffic and along camp wisdom with no shoulder. Both of them were fine and most all of the cars gave me plenty of room.

So now that I've got a bit of a feel, what is the predominate loop around Joe Pool Lake? And what other good loops are there? I'm going to try the camp wisdom/clark/belt line (FM something or other) loop for a while just to get back up to speed after time off, but I'll be excited to take some longer routes soon. I'm also looking to upgrade from my BD aluminum special (HEAVY) to a Specialized Roubaix pretty soon here. That should help with the rough surfaces.
Old 09-22-09, 12:03 PM
LJ325

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take I-20 east to 360 south. 360 south to camp wisdom east - camp wisdom to lake ridge south - lake ridge to 67 south (I take a detour up mansfield toward cedar hill so I can hit that big hill - I hit 67 then turn around and head back to lake ridge). 67 south through Midlothian until I hit old fort worth rd westbound, skirting 287 north. I follow that to 360 north and back to I-20. It's about 60+ miles. I do it every monday on a heavy ass mountain bike.

I eat a 200 calorie jam sandwich every 90 minutes and I never have a problem with energy.

ETA: And yesterday's 20-23 mph winds were a butt kicker!
Old 09-22-09, 02:28 PM
LJ325

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts