Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar mount mirror suggestions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 08:59 AM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts

Hi all. I ride an old bike with north road bars and I’m looking for a handlebar mounted mirror.

I know everyone has opinions, and I don’t wanna turn this into a “mirrors are stupid/no, you’re wrong” thread. I also know lots and lots of people love their helmet or glasses mounted mirrors and that’s awesome. I don’t want one.

ive been looking for an attractive silver colored mirror, but most of the most functional looking mirrors seem to be black, which is okay, I guess. I’m also not positive a bar end type would work with my bar setup, but if anyone has north roads and a bar end mirror, I’d be interested in hearing your experience.

my neck isn’t as bendy as it used to be and I’m putting in a lot more miles than I use to as well. Just tryin to not die out there.

All help appreciated.

Last edited by eyemkeith; 04-25-21 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 05:12 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 2,612 Posts
For a bar-end mirror, I learned about the Sprintech model when borrowing one of @Andy_K’s bikes, which had one mounted. Now all of the bikes I ride regularly have one though those are all drop-bar bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Roa.../dp/B084RN1L85

Not sure about using one with North Roads bars, however.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-25-21, 05:38 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I'm following this as my neck is not as able to let me know what is behind me as well. I have a bar end mirror like the one above on my newer bike, but I don't think it would look right on my older bikes.

This one is cheap enough that if I didn't like it I wouldn't hate throwing it in a drawer or box in the garage.

https://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-VIN.../dp/B075SDCY3L

Old 04-25-21, 05:45 PM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts
I use a Zefal Spy. It's a strap on style mirror, which works for me because I have multiple bikes and I'm able to move the mirror to whichever bike that I'm riding that day.

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-95293-S...g-goods&sr=1-1
Likes For Warren128:
Old 04-25-21, 06:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I've always used Third Eye. Convex view with real glass. I even use them on my 72 R75/5. As good as it gets. And cheap!

Likes For clubman:
Old 04-25-21, 07:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,058 Posts
This one from Rivendell isn't bad. I use it on my commuter/town bike and it does the job.
Old 04-25-21, 09:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
Here's a thread with some suggestions:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...1-mirrors.html

I want to be able to just glance over to the mirror, I want to know where the mirror will be and where it will be pointed.

I don't like the helmet or glasses mounted mirrors- too much work/thought to figure out where it's pointing and where you want it pointed.

I don't want to turn or rotate my head way down to a bar end mirror.

Out of the ones I've tried- I think the Axiom clamp on might work for you- otherwise browngw posted a silver clamp on mirror that seems about right in post #41.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-26-21, 03:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Old neck injuries limit my neck mobility so I've used mirrors since I resumed riding in 2015. I don't race anymore so it's no big deal.

I've noticed several cycling acquaintances who used to race and ride without mirrors have added mirrors as they got older. No particular reason given but I suspect it's the same old thing -- with age everything gets a bit stiffer, mobility suffers and our reflexes and hearing suffer a bit. I don't like to rely on listening for approaching vehicles, although my hearing is still pretty good. But some vehicles now are incredibly quiet, especially with smoother tires on smooth asphalt.

Even one of the fastest guys I know locally, who holds many KOMs, uses a pricey Italian made glass bar-end mirror on his road bike. Another friend used to razz him a bit about it. Now that guy has the same mirror on his road bikes.

I use the similarly design but much more affordable Sprintech mirrors linked above on two of my drop bar road bikes. However my hybrid with swept bars (Nitto Albatross) have bar-end shifters so that space isn't available for the Sprintech and similar bar-end mounted mirrors. I mostly got those so I'd have a mirror on occasions when I wear my aero helmet, with no way to mount a helmet mirror as I do on my main helmets.

I also use Take-A-Look mirrors on my two main helmets.

I considered an adapter for my Mirrycle handlebar mirrors, but discovered I could get by with just the helmet mirror, so that bike still has no mirror on the handlebar after two years. I keep thinking about trying a clamp mount and adding a mirror, but I guess I'm satisfied with it as-is.

I've seen a few folks add clamps to the Mirrycle and similar design mirrors, that put the mirror below the handlebar, rather than above. That seems to suit folks who prefer lower bars, or flipped North Road bars (path racer style).
Old 04-26-21, 04:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Dollar Tree Sun Glass Mirror. Glue one to each Glove

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-26-21, 04:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
This one from Rivendell isn't bad. I use it on my commuter/town bike and it does the job.
that works, of course I adhere to the school of Italian driving as explained in the movie Gumball Rally-
what’s behind me is not my concern
as the Italian race car driver rips off the center rear view mirror on a Daytona no less.

( of course does not work so well on a bike, but sounds good)
Old 04-26-21, 10:15 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I've always used Third Eye. Convex view with real glass. I even use them on my 72 R75/5. As good as it gets. And cheap!
+1

Old 04-26-21, 10:59 PM
lottafreaks

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail, Raleigh Twenty, Takara Advantage, Schwinn Stingray... others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunlite mirrors are decent. Check out a site like Modernbike and search up that name. I own the heavy duty and the rectangular mirrors. I have them mounted on north road and wide cruiser bars respectively. They are solid. And they are chrome.
Old 04-26-21, 11:17 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I've seen the Berthoud mirror advertised online recently. If style was the first priority, it wins(imo)

As far a being functional, we'll it is a fair bit smaller than anything else mentioned here.
Old 04-27-21, 04:57 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I've seen the Berthoud mirror advertised online recently. If style was the first priority, it wins(imo)

As far a being functional, we'll it is a fair bit smaller than anything else mentioned here.
I have the Berthoud mirror on one of my bikes. It was a birthday present from my lovely wife. Looks sharp, but the Sprintech is much more functional and a lot cheaper!

Last edited by nlerner; 04-27-21 at 07:44 AM.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-27-21, 07:17 AM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I saw a guy the other day with a rear view camera set up on a bike, small center screen or cell phone holder, and a tiny camera.
Old 04-27-21, 07:28 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Warren128
I use a Zefal Spy. It's a strap on style mirror, which works for me because I have multiple bikes and I'm able to move the mirror to whichever bike that I'm riding that day.

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-95293-S...g-goods&sr=1-1
I use the same thing on my non-drop bars, it's nice and small.
On drops I use a bar end mirror.
Old 04-27-21, 08:12 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
I have been tempted to try these cheapo $5 ones from China. Has anybody tried these? They look a lot like the Zefal.

Handlebar mirror

Old 04-27-21, 05:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
Hi all. I ride an old bike with north road bars and I’m looking for a handlebar mounted mirror.

I know everyone has opinions, and I don’t wanna turn this into a “mirrors are stupid/no, you’re wrong” thread. I also know lots and lots of people love their helmet or glasses mounted mirrors and that’s awesome. I don’t want one.

ive been looking for an attractive silver colored mirror, but most of the most functional looking mirrors seem to be black, which is okay, I guess. I’m also not positive a bar end type would work with my bar setup, but if anyone has north roads and a bar end mirror, I’d be interested in hearing your experience.

my neck isn’t as bendy as it used to be and I’m putting in a lot more miles than I use to as well. Just tryin to not die out there.

All help appreciated.
I've been where you're at; I have north road style bars and have had a @$%&!! of a time finding a mirror that shows more than my arm. The only kind I've found is a cruiser-style mirror like this one. I haven't tried that mount, but you get the idea; the arm is long enough so you can see behind you. I currently have this one, which works great, except the mounting bracket sucks nuts, so I ordered this one, hoping it'll work. Fingers crossed.