Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brake issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 01:10 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

Simply, one of the pistons does not return after releasing the front brakes on my road bike’s Shimano Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes and causes the dreaded brake squeal. Usually the squeal goes away when I lightly pump the brake 3-4. Sometimes it it needs 8-10 pumps. No squeal while applying the brakes, only after releasing them.

I’ve follow all the procedures I know to clean pistons and calipers, including Park Tools’ and other reliable sources. Changing pads and spring clips has not resolved the issue. I’ve tried to determine if the piston is mis-aligned and thus not moving in/out properly but it does not appear to be so.

any practical advice from others who have experienced and resolved this issue?
Old 06-26-22, 08:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Either you're not actually cleaning/lubing them or it's some other mystery. A piston that's mostly in the bore can't be 'mis-aligned'. If it's mostly out of the bore that's another story.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-27-22, 06:25 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Have you exercised each piston independently to assure the seals are clean and functioning? If so, it may be time to replace seals and pistons.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-27-22, 09:57 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Either you're not actually cleaning/lubing them or it's some other mystery. A piston that's mostly in the bore can't be 'mis-aligned'. If it's mostly out of the bore that's another story.
I am able to push them fully back in. I clean them with Isopropyl alcohol. What is your method for lubing them?
Old 06-27-22, 10:02 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Have you exercised each piston independently to assure the seals are clean and functioning? If so, it may be time to replace seals and pistons.
"independently", maybe not. I remove the pads and pump them to expose the pistons for cleaning and press them back in, work them in/out a few times pumping the brake lever and push in again. What do you do? Hold one in and work the other "independently"?
Old 06-27-22, 11:05 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
"independently", maybe not. I remove the pads and pump them to expose the pistons for cleaning and press them back in, work them in/out a few times pumping the brake lever and push in again. What do you do? Hold one in and work the other "independently"?
Yep. Get an assistant to work the lever slowly, push piston back in if needed, get each piston to react identically. I saw that in one of the Park Tools videos. Maybe you missed that one--there are a few of them. Careful cleaning first is key.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-27-22, 11:20 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Probably the safest thing to lubricate (if absolutely necessary) is Shimano mineral oil. Use about 1/10th what you think you need, and then spend the rest of the day wiping it off. Any extra will be a dust magnet and make the problem 10 times worse than it is now.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-27-22, 12:53 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I am able to push them fully back in. I clean them with Isopropyl alcohol. What is your method for lubing them?
First, when the pads are out, clean with alcohol. Let it dry and gently, and I mean gently, pump the brake lever once and see the piston extend out a bit. Pump the lever one or two more times gently to have the pistons extend out.

Now, get a Q-tip and a little bit of mineral oil (if that is what your brake uses). Dip the Q-tip head into the oil and use it to moisten all around the exposed piston. Get the piston nice and moist with the mineral oil.

After you have coated the pistons well (and really focusing on the part right where the seals are) push the pistons back into the caliper using a plastic tire lever.

Repeat the process (but skip the alcohol wipe) maybe 2-5 times. After the last "push back" of the pistons, clean with alcohol and put back your pads.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 06-27-22, 01:38 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by vespasianus
First, when the pads are out, clean with alcohol. Let it dry and gently, and I mean gently, pump the brake lever once and see the piston extend out a bit. Pump the lever one or two more times gently to have the pistons extend out.

Now, get a Q-tip and a little bit of mineral oil (if that is what your brake uses). Dip the Q-tip head into the oil and use it to moisten all around the exposed piston. Get the piston nice and moist with the mineral oil.

After you have coated the pistons well (and really focusing on the part right where the seals are) push the pistons back into the caliper using a plastic tire lever.

Repeat the process (but skip the alcohol wipe) maybe 2-5 times. After the last "push back" of the pistons, clean with alcohol and put back your pads.
Thanks.
Old 06-27-22, 01:39 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Probably the safest thing to lubricate (if absolutely necessary) is Shimano mineral oil. Use about 1/10th what you think you need, and then spend the rest of the day wiping it off. Any extra will be a dust magnet and make the problem 10 times worse than it is now.
Thanks
Old 06-27-22, 01:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Thanks
@vespasianus for the win (detail)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-27-22, 02:14 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Q-tip and Shimano mineral oil.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-27-22, 04:19 PM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I had a GRX disc brake that did the same thing. Tried cleaning but didn't work. 1 pad was always farther out then the other. I just repositioned the caliper to center the rotor. Solved the problem.

Simply, one of the pistons does not return after releasing the front brakes on my road bike’s Shimano Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes and causes the dreaded brake squeal. Usually the squeal goes away when I lightly pump the brake 3-4. Sometimes it it needs 8-10 pumps. No squeal while applying the brakes, only after releasing them.

I’ve follow all the procedures I know to clean pistons and calipers, including Park Tools’ and other reliable sources. Changing pads and spring clips has not resolved the issue. I’ve tried to determine if the piston is mis-aligned and thus not moving in/out properly but it does not appear to be so.

any practical advice from others who have experienced and resolved this issue?
Likes For greysquirrel: