Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Race across America

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Race across America

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 08:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I have fully plumbed the major tenants of this thread.
I've had some weird landlords in my day, but I've never had one check my depth.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-21, 08:39 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts

Tenets vs. Tenants

Thanks to its confusingly similar pronunciation, tenant (“occupant, land-holder”) is sometimes erroneously used in place of tenet (“principle, doctrine”).
Old 07-02-21, 08:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Now if someone could tell me why this years RAAM was slow we could end this thread.
I don’t think it’s possible to answer that question without being accused of being sexist.
Old 07-02-21, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've had some weird landlords in my day, but I've never had one check my depth.
For several years I lived in a duplex owned by a married couple (with a child) who lived on the second and thirds floor. The wife, who had psychological issues and a drinking problem, used to hit on me. A few times she rang my bell after coming home late from the bar. One of those times she tried to force her way into my apartment. Another time a woman I was seeing was there and asked me if I wanted her to go kick her ass. I finally told her that putting aside her relationship and parental status, I would never get involved with a woman whose man lives above me and has the key to my apartment. And I threatened to tell her husband if she didn't stop. That put an end to things.
Old 07-02-21, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don’t think it’s possible for a guy who names himself for a phallic action, who has never been interested in the times of this race before to suddenly get interested in that question without being accused of being sexist.
FIFY.

Check the tape, no one has accused you of anything. I do think the "it's not sexism" people doth protest a bit much, however and given that the same explanations are being repeated, maybe it's time to stop the thread diversion?
Old 07-02-21, 09:46 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Look at the 2019 race. Only three solo contestants were meaningfully faster than Goldstein that year, and none of them rode this year. Look through other years and you find a few hypothetical contenders including a younger woman with an impressively competitive time. But you can't win a race you don't enter.

For the most part, individual repeat riders seem to turn in self-consistent performances at least within the range of what could be expected for a differing course, differing weather, differing luck. That's not to deny what a role push on and do better than last year determination must have, but it doesn't obviously jump out of numbers impacted by so many other factors. Riders themselves may well have a more nuanced idea of their comparative year vs year performance - wouldn't be surprised if someone on the support team has a strategic model of performance expected on each segment they update live with weather data. But we can't see that.

Anyway, in any realistic sense the race wasn't slower this year; rather of the 2-4 people who have recent previous performance indicating that they might hypothetically have done it meaningfully faster, none rode.

My hat's off to anyone who rode that course effectively non-stop, no matter who else did or didn't.

​​​​​​

Last edited by UniChris; 07-02-21 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-02-21, 09:54 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don’t think it’s possible to answer that question without being accused of being sexist.
So true !!! and I think anything I say should be tongue in cheek. For instance the only nutrition available to RAAM contestants should be fast food because thats what Lon Haldeman used to do !!!
Old 07-02-21, 09:54 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by kahn

Tenets vs. Tenants

Thanks to its confusingly similar pronunciation, tenant (“occupant, land-holder”) is sometimes erroneously used in place of tenet (“principle, doctrine”).
Damn spell check.....and I'm terrible at proof reading !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-02-21, 09:58 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by UniChris
Look at the 2019 race. Only three solo contestants were meaningfully faster than Goldstein that year, and none of them rode this year. Look through other years and you find a few hypothetical contenders including a younger woman with an impressively competitive time. But you can't win a race you don't enter.

For the most part, individual repeat riders seem to turn in self-consistent performances at least within the range of what could be expected for a differing course, differing weather, differing luck. That's not to deny what a role push on and do better than last year determination must have, but it doesn't obviously jump out of numbers impacted by so many other factors. Riders themselves may well have a more nuanced idea of their comparative year vs year performance - wouldn't be surprised if someone on the support team has a strategic model of performance expected on each segment they update live with weather data. But we can't see that.

Anyway, in any realistic sense the race wasn't slower this year; rather of the 2-4 people who have recent previous performance indicating that they might hypothetically have done it meaningfully faster, none rode.

My hat's off to anyone who rode that course effectively non-stop, no matter who else did or didn't.

​​​​​​
You and your sensible and well thought out answers !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-02-21, 10:11 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
... I think anything I say should be tongue in cheek.
Tongue in cheek can still get you in trouble, even if you include the "RELAX, I'M ONLY KIDDING!!!" emoji.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the most sexist statement in this thread was made by someone on the "You're sexist!" bandwagon?
Old 07-02-21, 10:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
This is circling the drain. Closing