Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 10:18 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Lady82
Thank you!
I guess I have to wait and see. I found some suggestions of upgrading a crankset (not a very expensive upgrade) and the issue went away in its entirety.
Sirrus X 2.0 you are looking at, yes? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. There are two reasons some might be dropping their chains: the chainring might not have proper 1x teeth, and/or the rear derailleur does not have a clutch. The latter is a definite, according to the website, and is certainly one reason this is happening to folks.

Resolving either need not be particularly expensive: lots of clutched derailleurs out there that will solve that issue and are compatible. Same with affordable chainrings (if the stock crank will take a different ring) and/or cranksets. Consult your dealer for suggestions?
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-31-21, 10:23 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by Double
Hi. I am relatively new to the forum and appreciate all the great insights here. I was curious if anyone knows why the Sirrus 6.0 has increased so much in price the last couple of years. I believe the bike was $2,400 in 2019 and then went to $2,600 and is now $3,000. Is this due to an improvement in the components or supply chain issues impacting all bike companies due to COVID. Thank you!
Production costs have increased (component scarcity; supply issues); demand for complete bicycles currently greatly exceeds supply; therefore Specialized can charge whatever it thinks the market will bear.

A Specialized Sirrus 6.0 is a luxury/discretionary spending item, and is priced accordingly. Think it's too expensive, then pass on it.
Old 08-31-21, 10:27 AM
Double

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Because the bike companies (and many other companies that sell different products) are using covid as an excuse to rake us all over the coals and it's all total bull ****.

The mountain bike I bought last fall in September that was $5200 is now $6700. There is absolutely nothing that justifies that type of price increase.
Thank you for the quick reply. I really wanted to purchase the Sirrus 6.0 (and actually found one) but just can't justify the $800 price difference between it and the Trex FX 6.0. I was hoping that Specialized stepped up the components over the last year or so but it seems like they are largely the same and just the price increased.
Old 08-31-21, 10:48 AM
Lady82

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Sirrus X 2.0 you are looking at, yes? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. There are two reasons some might be dropping their chains: the chainring might not have proper 1x teeth, and/or the rear derailleur does not have a clutch. The latter is a definite, according to the website, and is certainly one reason this is happening to folks.

Resolving either need not be particularly expensive: lots of clutched derailleurs out there that will solve that issue and are compatible. Same with affordable chainrings (if the stock crank will take a different ring) and/or cranksets. Consult your dealer for suggestions?
Thank you very much for your reply. The interesting thing is, it does not happen to everyone. Some ppl never had it happen once.
I am waiting to get the bike built and will go from there. I am planning to be slowly upgrading it anyway.
Old 08-31-21, 12:43 PM
Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Production costs have increased (component scarcity; supply issues); demand for complete bicycles currently greatly exceeds supply; therefore Specialized can charge whatever it thinks the market will bear.

A Specialized Sirrus 6.0 is a luxury/discretionary spending item, and is priced accordingly. Think it's too expensive, then pass on it.
Thanks for the reply. I get that it is a luxury/discretionary item but in a world with comparable substitutes I decided to purchase a Trek FX 6.0 for $800 less. I was hoping that the price differential was due to Specialized upgrading the components on the Sirrus but that does not seem to be the case.
Old 08-31-21, 01:03 PM
badger1

Thanks for the reply. I get that it is a luxury/discretionary item but in a world with comparable substitutes I decided to purchase a Trek FX 6.0 for $800 less. I was hoping that the price differential was due to Specialized upgrading the components on the Sirrus but that does not seem to be the case.
Oh, I agree: if I were making your specific choice today I too would go with the Trek. And I say that as the owner of a 2019 Sirrus Comp Carbon (now the Sirrus X 5.0), which itself was a bit overpriced at the time imo. But I 'wanted' it at the time!

I like Specialized's products, but not at 'any price'!
Old 08-31-21, 01:16 PM
Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I agree: if I were making your specific choice today I too would go with the Trek. And I say that as the owner of a 2019 Sirrus Comp Carbon (now the Sirrus X 5.0), which itself was a bit overpriced at the time imo. But I 'wanted' it at the time!

I like Specialized's products, but not at 'any price'!
Thank you. I actually went with the Trek based on a comment you made on another thread about the full Shimano drivetrain! Thanks again!
Old 08-31-21, 01:19 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts

These price increases in such a short period of time are absolute bullsh-it. And the companies know it. They are just using covid as a cover up to justify it. Just like a bunch of other companies have. I work for a company that manufactures products for the home building industry. We have not raised our prices.
Old 08-31-21, 01:50 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by prj71
These price increases in such a short period of time are absolute bullsh-it. And the companies know it. They are just using covid as a cover up to justify it. Just like a bunch of other companies have. I work for a company that manufactures products for the home building industry. We have not raised our prices.
Fair enough; that is certainly a perspective, though one I don't share when it comes to goods etc. that are non-essential.

Building materials, on the other hand, are different. Up here, there is most definitely 'gouging' going on -- no other word for it -- in the home-build/repair industry and elsewhere. Lumber products are created from trees here -- all right here, from standing tree to finished lumber, including composites. A 6x8 sheet of outdoor-grade plywood that retailed for $20 Cdn last fall is now $90, but there are absolutely no supply issues even with increased demand. That is 'price gouging': if one needs to repair a roof or wall, one has no choice but to pay.

And with that I'm out!
Old 09-01-21, 05:06 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Trek FX
without getting into the brand religion type of things, it is very strange that Treks are now cheaper than Specialized. It has traditionally been the opposite, with Trek always being a bit more money in North America than a similarly specced Specialized. At least in my experience of going through bike shopping in between 2013-2018.
With that said, Trek FX is an amazing bike. If I could put my hands on the carbon version in that gorgeous blue, I totally would. But this year there were absolutely no Trek bikes to be had around where I live. The dealer sat empty for over a year now.
The only other issue for me now is the tire clearance. With the X series Specialized has really made Sirrus even more of a lucrative option. Giant Escape, of course, is another bomb, that takes up to 45c. I almost went for Liv Alight 1 DD (same as giant Escape).
Old 09-01-21, 07:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Fair enough; that is certainly a perspective, though one I don't share when it comes to goods etc. that are non-essential.

Building materials, on the other hand, are different. Up here, there is most definitely 'gouging' going on -- no other word for it -- in the home-build/repair industry and elsewhere. Lumber products are created from trees here -- all right here, from standing tree to finished lumber, including composites. A 6x8 sheet of outdoor-grade plywood that retailed for $20 Cdn last fall is now $90, but there are absolutely no supply issues even with increased demand. That is 'price gouging': if one needs to repair a roof or wall, one has no choice but to pay.

And with that I'm out!
Like I mentioned earlier...the bike I bought last fall was $5200. The same bike now is $6700. That's price gouging.
Old 09-01-21, 09:00 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The previous thread on the price topic was closed and I'd respectfully suggest that we, collectively, not let this topic take over this thread, dedicated to discussion of the Specialized Sirrus line of bikes.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-01-21, 09:33 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoffNA
I replaced the stock bars with SQLab 30X carbon, 12* backsweep, 45mm rise. I also cut 80mm off. What a difference. Ride has smoothed out considerably. The rise and sweep provide for a more comfortable, controlled ride while retaining the aggressive geometry. Alos swapped out the GP4's for SQLab 710 grips. Looking to get an SQLab saddle if I can ever find the one I want.

Curious on how your still liking the SQLab bars after riding more this past few months? Do you still like the 12 backsweep or think the 16 backsweep would have been better?

I'm highly considering getting the alum version of these bars, but am also considering the carbon to help reduce vibrations.
Old 09-01-21, 10:07 AM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Curious on how your still liking the SQLab bars after riding more this past few months? Do you still like the 12 backsweep or think the 16 backsweep would have been better?

I'm highly considering getting the alum version of these bars, but am also considering the carbon to help reduce vibrations.
I love them. I think the 12* is the perfect balance of comfort and performance. I never thought I'd notice the vibration dampening as much as was touted, but it makes a massive difference.
Likes For GeoffNA:
Old 09-03-21, 07:42 PM
dougpgreen

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
NEW AUGUST 2021 SIRRUS X 5.0 EXPERIENCE
Last June I put a deposit down for a medium blue Sirrus X 5.0 for my wifes birthday in July. My LBS had one in the pipeline with no idea when it would arrive, but it had been on order for a while. Around 3 weeks ago my wife said that with these shortages and the long waits, I should put in for a bike for myself now for my birthday in January, so I did. 2 weeks ago I get a call from my LBS. They got 5 redwood ones in with no warning (not the blue one that had been on order), and two of them could be ours if we wanted them. My wife set aside her dislike for orange and we picked them up a week ago. All 5 went to people who had been waiting. .Here are some notes that might be helpful to others based both on my initial experience and some questions that I have seen on this thread.

1.Prior complaints about cheap no-name cranksets on such a nice frame . The ones comming in now have the real Praxis Alba bottom brackets and cranks. Not top of the line, but certainly not the previous no-name crap. The pedals are still meh, but I would have replaced them anyway. To me the bike is very ridable stock, even the saddle. I rode mine stock for a week just to see, but then I did end up moving a few things from my old bike, including my Selle Royal Respiro saddle, shockstop suspension seatpost, and Diety Supracrush grips. My wife is riding hers stock and is happy so far, although when I finish dialing mine in I will start convincing her to be unhappy
2.Size - I have seen debates on Sirrus X models running larger than spec. The examples I saw were 4.0s. I was worried about me having a large given that I am 5-10, 32 inseam. I seem to be fine on the large 5.0. Sitting on my wifes medium, I could have ridden it but would have probably have needed a riser stem as getting the seat high enough would have put me too high above the bars even with the headset at the highest allowed level. At 5-6 1/2, my wife is fine with the medium. I am wondering if there is a difference between the carbon 5.0 and aluminum 4.0 frames.
3.Internal cable rattle. I haven't noticed any on either bike, and I ride some pretty rough gravel roads. I did notice a little spring noise after first installing one of the future shock helper springs, but it disappeared quickly. The next time I am at my LBS I will ask if they noticed any design change in how the cables are run in the downtube when they were built.
4.My LBS told me that I was not to touch anything having to do with the Future Shock or it would void the warranty. Bring it in for everything. I asked if that included things like changing out the helper springs (very trivial) or adding headset spacers, which does requires you to loosen and remove the future shock and possibly monkey with the preload bolts (although it wasn't necessary for me). THey said yes, those were off limits. This seem ridiculous, especially chaging out the springs as you simply unbolt the stem and remove a cover; you don't even loosen the headset. So... I emailed Specialized support. THey said changing the springs was fine as well as raising the stem height as long as I knew what I was doing with a torque wrench. Note that I would NOT go against my LBS recomendations without a get-out-of-jail email from Specialized, so YMMV. My guess is that their issues come with people opening the main body of the future shock (which is not serviceable) and people messing up the clamp torque and preload bolts as they are tiny parts (and the clamp sits on a carbon fork tube). I would highly recommend becomming very familiar with all of the parts of the future shock and headset before messing with anything as it is nothing like a normal headset. It is very different, but once you understand it everything makes sense.
5.Parts bag. THe manual they give you is generic for all their bikes, and the X 5.0 comes with a bunch of extra parts, the uses of which become obvious after a while, but why not describe them? The Future shock helper springs are in a bag inside a bag. The outer bag also includes a tiny wrench that is used for the future shock preload bolts when you lock them, a shim that is used to adapt standard stems to the future shock (there is a shim installed for the Future stem as well, but its a different size), a pair of valve stems to be used for tubeless setup, and three 5mm headset spacers. The spacers are not standard, and the three together provide the maximum 15mm that are allowed. In ONE of my two bikes, I noticed an oval piece of hellicopter tape. On the other bike, it had been installed on the headset tube where the cables have potential to rub. I installed the other one, but it seems too small to me, so I'll probably use a large piece when I tape other parts of the bike.
6.Seatpost clamp. The seatpost clamp sits inside the carbon seat tube. Mine has a tendency to want to fall into the seat tube if the seatpost is removed. Just be aware.
7.Is the furture shock a gimick? People seem to hate it or love it. My wife claims that she doesn't see a huge difference, but she went months between riding her old and new bike due to a hip surgery. For me...it certainly doesn't make my gravel bumpy roads feel smooth, but there is a pronounced difference in how beat up I feel at the end of the ride. A big difference. How much of that is due to the future shock versus the carbon frame is hard to say. I prefer using the helper springs (trying to decide between weak and medium) not because I was bottoming out, but because I found it to minimize the effect on handling without any noticable comfort penalty. THe default configuration is no helper springs.

I hope this helps someone. I tried to post a picture of the bikes but I don't have enough posts yet.

Last edited by dougpgreen; 09-04-21 at 06:43 AM.
Likes For dougpgreen:
Old 09-04-21, 05:53 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
That is a very informative post. Thank you!

My Sirrus X ordeal is over. After months of waiting, I finally managed to get one. Not without hiccups. But hey, all is well, when it ends well.
After reading that Sirrus X fits on the larger side of things, I ordered one in XXS (for reference, I am 5'1) when I saw they became available in a LBS. Well, that was a huge disappointment. The XXS is a really tiny bike. I was ready to cry. Then out of nowhere an XS became available at another store in another city. The overall geometry of this bike has basically not really changed from my own Vita from 2013. This geometry really works for me. I think this is where the sizing confusion is, honestly. My Vita is S, but has the same ST length as XS Sirrus. In the new Sirrus line the sizes are 1 smaller than the lines before. My husband rides Sirrus Elite 2013 in L, so he would need Sirrus X in M. For reference, he is 5'10.
I have only had a bike for a day, so it's really early to write a proper review. The colour is absolutely stunning IRL (Dusty Turquoise). The fit is amazing, and so far I found the stock saddle pretty comfortable. Microshift Advent works well. Perfectly going up and down. The best part for me so far is the fact that in this transmission I am using the whole range of the cassette, unlike Deore 6100 that I had on my previous bike. In a 30 - 10-51 set up I used the first 6 cogs...
Likes For Lady82:
Old 09-04-21, 07:33 AM
hokiefyd 

After months of waiting, I finally managed to get one...
I'm a sucker for blue bikes and I love that color combo! Congratulations.
Old 09-04-21, 08:05 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm a sucker for blue bikes and I love that color combo! Congratulations.
Thank you. I know it's ridiculous and completely irrational, but once I saw that frame in the early spring, I had to have it. Even at the expense of the components. By far, this is the lowest level grown up bike I have ever had. I am literally coming off Deore 6100. But, to be honest, I didn't even notice it yesterday. The shifter is a bit tighter and not as buttery smooth, but the actual transmission works very well.
Absolutely love the grips. I have wanted to try barrel-shaped grips for a while. Them coming stock was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Lady82; 09-04-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-04-21, 11:45 AM
dougpgreen

That is a very informative post. Thank you!

My Sirrus X ordeal is over. After months of waiting, I finally managed to get one. Not without hiccups. But hey, all is well, when it ends well.
After reading that Sirrus X fits on the larger side of things, I ordered one in XXS (for reference, I am 5'1) when I saw they became available in a LBS. Well, that was a huge disappointment. The XXS is a really tiny bike. I was ready to cry. Then out of nowhere an XS became available at another store in another city. The overall geometry of this bike has basically not really changed from my own Vita from 2013. This geometry really works for me. I think this is where the sizing confusion is, honestly. My Vita is S, but has the same ST length as XS Sirrus. In the new Sirrus line the sizes are 1 smaller than the lines before. My husband rides Sirrus Elite 2013 in L, so he would need Sirrus X in M. For reference, he is 5'10.
I have only had a bike for a day, so it's really early to write a proper review. The colour is absolutely stunning IRL (Dusty Turquoise). The fit is amazing, and so far I found the stock saddle pretty comfortable. Microshift Advent works well. Perfectly going up and down. The best part for me so far is the fact that in this transmission I am using the whole range of the cassette, unlike Deore 6100 that I had on my previous bike. In a 30 - 10-51 set up I used the first 6 cogs...
Its interesting that you think your 5-10 husband needs a medium as I am 5-10 and my wifes medium 5.0 doesn't fit me as well as my large. It got me wondering if there is a difference in the carbon and aluminum frame geometry as most of the posts I have seen recomending sizing down come from people on 4.0s. I check the specs on both in a large and YES, there is a difference in specs on many of the dimensions. Some are subtle but some are significant, enought to change the way the bike feels. It could very well be that I (and perhaps your husband) would fit better in a 4.0 in a medium, while fitting better on a 5.0 in large. It is also interesting that the x 4.0 comes in sizes XXS-XL, while the x 5.0 comes in XS-XXL. The bottom line is not to assume that sizing advice on one transfers to the other, particularly if you are near the borderline of a size range.
Old 09-04-21, 12:27 PM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dougpgreen
Its interesting that you think your 5-10 husband needs a medium as I am 5-10 and my wifes medium 5.0 doesn't fit me as well as my large. It got me wondering if there is a difference in the carbon and aluminum frame geometry as most of the posts I have seen recomending sizing down come from people on 4.0s. I check the specs on both in a large and YES, there is a difference in specs on many of the dimensions. Some are subtle but some are significant, enought to change the way the bike feels. It could very well be that I (and perhaps your husband) would fit better in a 4.0 in a medium, while fitting better on a 5.0 in large. It is also interesting that the x 4.0 comes in sizes XXS-XL, while the x 5.0 comes in XS-XXL. The bottom line is not to assume that sizing advice on one transfers to the other, particularly if you are near the borderline of a size range.
I think 5'9-5'10 is a tricky height. It's M in some bikes and L in others, 54 or 56. We will definitely have to try both sizes. Right now, only M is available in the same store where I have bought my bike.
For 5'1 Specialized recommends either XS and S. I tried S yesterday. It was doable, but XS definitely fit better. S somehow felt like a much larger bike.
I guess the key is trying both adjacent sizes.
Old 09-04-21, 06:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Thank you. I know it's ridiculous and completely irrational, but once I saw that frame in the early spring, I had to have it. Even at the expense of the components.
That's how you should buy a bike in my opinion. Other than sprocket count, you'd probably never feel the difference between 4100, 5100, or 6100 series drivetrain parts on the bike. But if you buy one in a color you don't love, you'll see that every single day. Buy what your heart is in to...the rest will take care of itself!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-04-21, 06:23 PM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I check the specs on both in a large and YES, there is a difference in specs on many of the dimensions.
You will be shocked, but there are actually differences between 4.0 and 2.0. I have just checked out of curiosity. I wonder if it has something to do with the future shock. But, for instance, the reach on 2.0 in size XS is 388. It is 371 on 4.0. The TT on 2.0 is 552, it is 549 on 4.0.
The interesting one is the stack. And that would explain why many people recommend sizing down on 4.0. On the XS the stack on 4,0 is 590! It is only 555 on 2.0.

I am actually shocked that they seem to have 3 different geometries, depending on the model. I think this info is very important. One has to check the geometry of each model very carefully.
Old 09-05-21, 05:19 AM
dougpgreen

You will be shocked, but there are actually differences between 4.0 and 2.0. I have just checked out of curiosity. I wonder if it has something to do with the future shock. But, for instance, the reach on 2.0 in size XS is 388. It is 371 on 4.0. The TT on 2.0 is 552, it is 549 on 4.0.
The interesting one is the stack. And that would explain why many people recommend sizing down on 4.0. On the XS the stack on 4,0 is 590! It is only 555 on 2.0.

I am actually shocked that they seem to have 3 different geometries, depending on the model. I think this info is very important. One has to check the geometry of each model very carefully.
Yet the sizing guide is the same accross all Sirrus models. I think the takeway is that sizing advice given based on personal experience needs to come from the same model, not just the same series.
Old 09-05-21, 05:27 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think the takeway is that sizing advice given based on personal experience needs to come from the same model, not just the same series.
exactly. I had spare time last night and checked. There are definitely 3 different geometries. Sirrus X 2.0 and 3.0 share the geometry, Sirrus X 4.0, and Sirrus X 5.0 and 6.0.
Old 09-06-21, 05:14 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Bike update. The bike has now been tried on all three main routes that I like riding, including a long local rail trail with mostly gravel. The bike is perfect for it.
Interesting thing about the tires. Pathfinders 700X42 are actually a bit wider. I am measuring them at more like 700X45(46). They even appear visually beefier than 42mm.
I wanted to put slightly lighter WTB Resolutes that I have recently bought. Despite the review that says that Resolutes blow up beyond 42mm, I was not able to get them to that size. 38 is the most I am getting. I am starting to wonder if the tires I have have been mislabeled.
Any ideas why I can't get a 42 mm tire even close to it's size? I am using Continental Tour 28 tubes of the correct size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.