Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Glove System Suggestions Needed Please

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 05:54 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all.

I am looking for suggestions on a new glove system.

I feel good for summer gloves.
Really cold (20 or lower) I use bar mitts. They work well.
But from 45 and lower, my gloves suck!

The issue is that when I use gloves that have sewn in liners, I sweat which is natural but washing them has been problematic for me. What I would like is a glove that has separate liners to it so all I need to do is wash the liners.

Any recommendations?
Old 10-27-15, 09:54 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Yeah, between about 20 and 45 I'll use general-purpose full-fingered gloves like this: Firm Grip Large High Dex Glove (3-Pack)-3101-96 - The Home Depot

The key, of course, is to wear adequate clothing over the arms so minimal heat is lost on the way to the hands.

When in that zone of freezing and below, I'll pack the lobster claws in my pannier in case the trip takes longer than planned and I need the extra insulation.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-27-15, 12:20 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
As temps get cool, I begin using light liner gloves. I happen to have had and old pair of ski gloves where the insulation had packed out and were no longer very warm. With nothing to lose, I carefully cut out the the insulation and ended up with a nice pair of windproof over gloves that work well in combination with the liners. If temps then warm up, later in the day, the over gloves come off and easily fit in a back pocket. For even colder temps, the over gloves can be used with heavier fleece gloves. This layer scheme is very versatile.
Old 10-27-15, 12:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yeah, between about 20 and 45 I'll use general-purpose full-fingered gloves like this: Firm Grip Large High Dex Glove (3-Pack)-3101-96 - The Home Depot

The key, of course, is to wear adequate clothing over the arms so minimal heat is lost on the way to the hands.

When in that zone of freezing and below, I'll pack the lobster claws in my pannier in case the trip takes longer than planned and I need the extra insulation.
Are you saying that a pair of gloves that costs $3.29 is all you need in the winter? Are they seriously as warm as those $75 gloves others are wearing? I had $30 or $40 mittens last year, and it was barely adequate. Perhaps it wasn't adequate. I'm thinking of getting warmer gloves or pogies or both.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-28-15, 10:07 AM
berner

Tom, there are all sorts of cheap gloves around. I also have a cheap pair of insulated and wind proof gloves I picked up from, I think, Ocean State Job Lot who sell over-stock items. They are very warm and actually too warm for all but the coldest days. I much prefer the versatility of an inner liner or slightly heavier fleece glove with the windproof shell over all. This combination can be adjusted for warmth while on the ride.
Old 10-28-15, 11:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Thanks, @berner. I ordered some generic fleece gloves from Amazon. I can put them under my mittens.

Hey, @berner, I met you a couple of summers ago on that overnight ride in Massachusetts!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-28-15, 12:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by noglider
Are you saying that a pair of gloves that costs $3.29 is all you need in the winter? Are they seriously as warm as those $75 gloves others are wearing? I had $30 or $40 mittens last year, and it was barely adequate. Perhaps it wasn't adequate. I'm thinking of getting warmer gloves or pogies or both.
Well, it depends on the temperature and length of ride. With a long-sleeved but thin merino wool jersey under a regular jersey under my windbreaker, I have trouble with my hands sweating if I bust out the lobster claws too soon. So I try to dress just warm enough, and work a little harder if need be.

I feel that a lot of people with cold hands and feet are fundamentally looking in the wrong place when they ask about warmer gloves and shoes. Adequate torso/arm and leg coverings are essential for making sure heat makes it to the extremities.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-28-15, 12:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Well, it depends on the temperature and length of ride. With a long-sleeved but thin merino wool jersey under a regular jersey under my windbreaker, I have trouble with my hands sweating if I bust out the lobster claws too soon. So I try to dress just warm enough, and work a little harder if need be.

I feel that a lot of people with cold hands and feet are fundamentally looking in the wrong place when they ask about warmer gloves and shoes. Adequate torso/arm and leg coverings are essential for making sure heat makes it to the extremities.
Right, it depends on conditions and the length of the ride and the person's propensity to get hot or cold.

I tend to get cold more slowly than others, except in high winds, my hands and feet get cold. My commute is 13 miles each way along a brutally windy route. I can handle the times when I don't need maximum protection. I'm looking for how to build maximum protection for my worst commuting days. I want commuting in the worst weather to be tolerable. Last winter, I had some immensely painful rides, and that seems avoidable.

Old 10-28-15, 12:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Right, it depends on conditions and the length of the ride and the person's propensity to get hot or cold.

I tend to get cold more slowly than others, except in high winds, my hands and feet get cold. My commute is 13 miles each way along a brutally windy route. I can handle the times when I don't need maximum protection. I'm looking for how to build maximum protection for my worst commuting days. I want commuting in the worst weather to be tolerable. Last winter, I had some immensely painful rides, and that seems avoidable.
Indeed. One thing that can help if using thin gloves on windy days is to wear a pair of those thin latex (or whatever) gloves underneath to lessen the air exchange. Not a perfect solution, and runs the risk of causing more sweat to assumulate as well.

I'm always impressed by @Sixty Fiver's ability to ride in really cold conditions. Once you've got it all figured out, it must be freeing not to have a threshold where you have to make a choice between riding and driving.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-28-15, 10:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

I'm always impressed by @Sixty Fiver's ability to ride in really cold conditions. Once you've got it all figured out, it must be freeing not to have a threshold where you have to make a choice between riding and driving.
It is all relative, in talking with my friend (who rides every day all year long) she says I seem to manage with less than she ever could in similar conditions... I guess I run a little hotter.

It is true that there is no such thing as bad weather if you have the right setup... have ridden at -46 C - -52F and been as snug as the proverbial bug and then have also froze my ass off riding in the PNW when it was hovering around freezing but with 100% humidity.
Old 10-28-15, 10:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

Those gloves would never work for me; my hands get pretty cold easily. I like mittens with a liner once it starts to get cold. I have some pretty serious outdoor mittens from black diamond with a waterproof lining for really cold weather. For the weather the OP is talking about (20 to 45 degrees), I use a less heavy duty pair of mittens but I've been meaning to pick up a pair of borealis gloves from planet bike,

https://ecom1.planetbike.com/glove9004.html

Last edited by bikemig; 10-28-15 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 10:54 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Smartwool glove liners with Gore Windblocker over top. Endura neoprene gloves block wind but aren't waterproof.

Still looking for long fingered, waterproof, warm gloves that allow me to use touchscreen.
Old 10-29-15, 09:49 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Smartwool glove liners with Gore Windblocker over top. Endura neoprene gloves block wind but aren't waterproof.

Still looking for long fingered, waterproof, warm gloves that allow me to use touchscreen.
I can't find a link to save my life here, We picked up some Ski Gloves from Costco (Head brand?) that have pockets for hand warmers and I believe can be used with a touchscreen. You may want to check that out. We are gearing up for some fun in the snow this year.
Old 10-29-15, 11:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Velocivixen, Gordini makes some gloves and mittens that allow smartphone use. In fact, I might have a pair. Not too expensive. My Gordini mittens are very thin, and they don't seem thick enough to be warm, but they worked in most conditions. I plan to use the above-mentioned fleece gloves under the mittens. I got the mittens extra large.

Or you could use a stylus. I once had a pen that, when retracted, had a little inductive tip for use with smartphones, so it was both a pen and a phone stylus.

Old 10-29-15, 11:38 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@noglider - good tips. thanks.
Old 10-29-15, 12:16 PM
berner

Hey, @berner, I met you a couple of summers ago on that overnight ride in Massachusetts!
I remember that tour well Tom. It was a great week-end.
Old 10-30-15, 08:28 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
latex gloves under mechanics gloves. works till 0 for me. costs about $10.
Old 10-31-15, 06:06 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These surplus mittens with a trigger finger work well for me. At $20 they're well worth it.

But I only have northern climate springtime temps here in Georgia.