Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 01:01 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11415 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 2,782 Posts
To some, the enjoyment is the process.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-04-24, 01:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Liked 3,205 Times in 1,687 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I occasionally pointed out that since we are not racers it makes more sense to focus on the joy of riding and not the training. My comments fell on deaf ears.
+1 to what LAJ said - some people like this stuff, and for it's on sake (racing or not). I learned during the pandemic that I enjoyed training as much as racing at least, possibly more. Still trained hard and maintained a high level of fitness.

Personally, I would have been zoning out at much the other "roadie" stuff in your guys' conversation. Unless we're talking MTB or time trialing, where equipment actually makes a big difference.
Old 04-04-24, 01:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

But since we're on the topic - Shimano all the way! Esp in brakes (hydro or road calipers). I do have etap11 on my TT bike and it works well enough. I also have eagle GX 12sp on my MTB so I can eventually try AXS 12 speed.
Old 04-04-24, 01:33 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28680 Post(s)
Liked 1,863 Times in 1,323 Posts
WestCoast #Snoozeball SMH

Old 04-04-24, 01:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10471 Post(s)
Liked 11,982 Times in 6,134 Posts
I had lunch with 4 other cycling friends (including the one who is off the bike from the crash, he will be able to get back on the road in a month). The initial chitchat was interesting, and topics included my feelings about Di2, tubeless vs tubes, SRAM vs Shimano, the new anticipated Karoo head unit that allegedly will integrate with the new (coming soon) Etap Red.

However after awhile the conversation drifted into FTP tests and training. All the other guys use power meters and do FTP tests and pay at least some (and most of them too much) attention to their power date during/after a ride. I personally find this unpleasant as I love to ride and this type of analysis takes the fun out of riding for me. Plus, none of these guys are racers and honestly we are all more-or-less at the same level. I found myself zoning out and checked out of most of the rest of the discussion.

I occasionally pointed out that since we are not racers it makes more sense to focus on the joy of riding and not the training. My comments fell on deaf ears.

Sigh.
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness....

I can see a place for a power meter even for recreational cyclists who never race. My goal is to be able to ride farther, faster and climb bigger hills with less nausea at the top. For that, you can do what I've been doing (Modified Merckx) or more structured training, and the latter will likely produce better results in less time, while at the same time being less fun.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-04-24, 01:59 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,882 Times in 3,169 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
+1 to what LAJ said - some people like this stuff, and for it's on sake (racing or not). I learned during the pandemic that I enjoyed training as much as racing at least, possibly more. Still trained hard and maintained a high level of fitness.

Personally, I would have been zoning out at much the other "roadie" stuff in your guys' conversation. Unless we're talking MTB or time trialing, where equipment actually makes a big difference.
Exactly. Gear is boring. Physiology is cool!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-04-24, 02:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22640 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
But since we're on the topic - Shimano all the way! Esp in brakes (hydro or road calipers). I do have etap11 on my TT bike and it works well enough. I also have eagle GX 12sp on my MTB so I can eventually try AXS 12 speed.
I also prefer Shimano. The issue is that since SRAM bought the Hammerhead, they have dropped support for Di2 and are going to have better integration with eTap AXS going forward. I think with electronic shifting the integration of a head unit and the drivetrain makes sense.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-04-24, 02:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8319 Post(s)
Liked 9,126 Times in 4,509 Posts
I had lunch with 4 other cycling friends (including the one who is off the bike from the crash, he will be able to get back on the road in a month). The initial chitchat was interesting, and topics included my feelings about Di2, tubeless vs tubes, SRAM vs Shimano, the new anticipated Karoo head unit that allegedly will integrate with the new (coming soon) Etap Red.

However after awhile the conversation drifted into FTP tests and training. All the other guys use power meters and do FTP tests and pay at least some (and most of them too much) attention to their power date during/after a ride. I personally find this unpleasant as I love to ride and this type of analysis takes the fun out of riding for me. Plus, none of these guys are racers and honestly we are all more-or-less at the same level. I found myself zoning out and checked out of most of the rest of the discussion.

Sigh.
Now that we have 7 or 8 e-bikes in our club we get e-talk. Sometimes excessive e-talk. Makes me want to scream.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-04-24, 02:04 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 3,675 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Not an ideal forecast for umbraphiles.

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1775930471588991375
I'll be in SE Missouri, trying to look at local forecasts in tiny little towns that hopefully won't be overrun by people.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-04-24, 02:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I do have Di2 12sp Ultegra on my daily driver (2022 Giant TCR) and it is pretty freakin' sweet. No AXS road experience though so I'm not sure what it does differently.

What exactly does a head unit do to pair with an electronic drivetrain? Tell you what gear you're in (lol)? I'm pretty caveman with my head units.
Old 04-04-24, 02:13 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by abshipp
I'll be in SE Missouri, trying to look at local forecasts in tiny little towns that hopefully won't be overrun by people.
I might venture to dumb dumb land (OH). My sister lives in the path. Current forecast is 50-60% cloud cover there. Looks like the only safe bet is New England.
Old 04-04-24, 02:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Exactly. Gear is boring. Physiology is cool!
We used to have a saying in Molecular Biology - "Life is uninteresting till it's been phenol extracted."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-24, 02:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
True confession time:

I used to think Robert Palmer and Carl Palmer (of ELP fame) were possibly the same person.

(ducks)
Old 04-04-24, 02:20 PM
Mojo31
-------

Sigh.
I'm with you on this.

I'm as much of a tech geek as the next guy, but it's all just basically toys. I do use it for navigation, but otherwise I generally look at speed, distance and HR while riding. I frequently look at my ride stats after riding to see how well I did in comparison to past efforts, but I don't use it to "train."
Old 04-04-24, 02:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

I do have Di2 12sp Ultegra on my daily driver (2022 Giant TCR) and it is pretty freakin' sweet. No AXS road experience though so I'm not sure what it does differently.

What exactly does a head unit do to pair with an electronic drivetrain? Tell you what gear you're in (lol)? I'm pretty caveman with my head units.
I have Ultegra 12-speed Di2 on my Domane and 105 12-speed Di2 on my Emonda. Both are really sweet with the nod to the Ultegra just because of the ability to change head unit screens with the thumb buttons on the shifters. Otherwise, there is not much difference.

The pairing will allow you to show any number of screens showing what the drive train is doing. Gear selection and shift mode is one, but I rarely look at that. The one that is the most useful is the screen showing the battery condition for the main battery and the shifter batteries.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-04-24, 02:28 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

oh, switching screens from the shifter would be pretty sweet actually. I wonder if the Wahoo Bolt can do that. I'm in the market for a new head unit and the bolt looks attractive to me. Don't want to spend much more than a couple hundred bucks since I don't utilize most of the features. But changing screens would be cool.
Old 04-04-24, 02:29 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 3,675 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I might venture to dumb dumb land (OH). My sister lives in the path. Current forecast is 50-60% cloud cover there. Looks like the only safe bet is New England.
Was Knoxville in the path of totality in 2017?

Obviously I'm hoping for clear skies, but it will be interesting regardless. This was a neat article.
Old 04-04-24, 03:05 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by abshipp
Was Knoxville in the path of totality in 2017?

Obviously I'm hoping for clear skies, but it will be interesting regardless. This was a neat article.
It was a bit to the southwest. I went to Tellico Plains to observe it, about 75 minutes away.

I didn't realize until then how vastly different totality is from quasi-totality. Even with 98-9% of the sun blocked, there's still a lot of light.
Old 04-04-24, 03:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

On the C&V side, I'm a big Shimano fanboy. Everybody and his dog wants European frames with Campy. It makes that combo simultaneously expensive and done-to-death. But Shimano in the 80s and 90s? That was innovative stuff! So much more interesting to collect, not to mention cheaper!

For modern, I also like Shimano. The 105 on my Canyon and the Ultegra on the Litespeed just work flawlessly.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-24, 03:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,882 Times in 3,169 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Life is uninteresting till it's been phenol extracted digitized and its dimensionality reduced."
Altered for neurophysiologists.
Old 04-04-24, 03:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Altered for neurophysiologists.
Hey, now that's true for us, too! How else can you look at the expression of 30,000 genes across 10s or 100s of thousands of cells?

Old 04-04-24, 03:38 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13730 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 2,516 Posts
On the C&V side, I'm a big Shimano fanboy. Everybody and his dog wants European frames with Campy. It makes that combo simultaneously expensive and done-to-death. But Shimano in the 80s and 90s? That was innovative stuff! So much more interesting to collect, not to mention cheaper!

For modern, I also like Shimano. The 105 on my Canyon and the Ultegra on the Litespeed just work flawlessly.
Taiwanese frame with Campy. Just turned 10 years old. Does it count as C&V?

Likes For rjones28:
Old 04-04-24, 03:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rjones28
Taiwanese frame with Campy. Just turned 10 years old. Does it count as C&V?

Maybe the REAL C&V was the friends we made along the way....

Old 04-04-24, 03:50 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 5,195 Times in 2,229 Posts
I also prefer Shimano. The issue is that since SRAM bought the Hammerhead, they have dropped support for Di2 and are going to have better integration with eTap AXS going forward. I think with electronic shifting the integration of a head unit and the drivetrain makes sense.

I thought I preferred shimano, but the face force comes with a power meter, and the shimano hoods feel way too small. I also like the face that sram uses battery packs. You can buy extra so if a battery dies during the ride you can switch it out. Also if a battery goes bad you can switch it out.

Anyone have any idea how long the re charging last on di2 eventually it won’t be able to hold a charge anymore. That is kind of depressing in itself. Granted that will take years but it’s still a shame. Once it’s no good you have to replace the derailer I am assuming.
Old 04-04-24, 03:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22640 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness....

I can see a place for a power meter even for recreational cyclists who never race. My goal is to be able to ride farther, faster and climb bigger hills with less nausea at the top. For that, you can do what I've been doing (Modified Merckx) or more structured training, and the latter will likely produce better results in less time, while at the same time being less fun.
Of course non-racers can use a power meter. In my case, I have been riding long enough that I know when I am going into the "red" zone and when I am not, so from my perspective I don't think I want or need a power meter. I seem to still beat most of my friend to the top of a hill, even without "training" and using a power meter, and on top of it I think I am having more fun than they are. But this is my bias and I accept their choices as they should accept mine.
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.