Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 01:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Incel take.

Of course, you couldn't pay me to watch a SB half time show.
If I laid $1 million on your table, you'd give up that 30 minutes of your life. Even if there was a quiz at the end.
Old 02-14-22, 01:13 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Some idiot pundit said the show was "sexual anarchy" and shouldn't be allowed on television. This from a guy who is only 28. I wonder if these dufuses just say the most extreme things they can think of just to get attention.
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The only halftime that would make everyone happy would be to have Knoxville Community Band perform.
Prolly
Old 02-14-22, 01:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I mentioned last week that I had signed up for the free trial of Wahoo's SYSTM training app, because I was curious about their whole '4DP' approach which makes more sense to me than using just FTP. So I thought I might do the Full Frontal test. I watched some videos about it this weekend. Now I'm not so sure. The recommendation to have a "Sick Bucket" handy is more than a little off-putting. Plus, you know, I'm 64 years old, fer chrissakes. When professional athletes say, "It's the hardest thing I've ever done! I'll never, ever do it again!", it does make it seem kind of ... dangerous? More than that, though, is the realization that, since I've never even TRIED to do a 5 minute all-out effort, let alone that, then a 20 minute all-out effort after that, and a 1 minute all-out effort after THAT, perhaps I should consider walking before I try to fly.*

BUT one thing I saw is that SYSTM has a warmup workout that's supposed to rev you up for the test. I'm thinking maybe I'll do that warmup and then the Half Monty again.

My other observation is about YouTube, and it's that no matter the subject, YouTube lives up to Sturgeon's Law, that "90% of everything is crap." I see SO MANY poorly done, unengaging videos, on every subject I look into. 20 minutes of talking to a camera about a SPORT, without any video of what you're talking about? Why would ANYONE think that's good videography?

*I also would observe that chickening out is also the sort of thing that says something about one's motivation and personality.
The Full Frontal is certainly in the conversation of the most difficult trainer rides that I've ever done. That said, I think that it was really worthwhile as a baseline and I'd definitely do it again if I were to re-up with Sufferfest/System.
Old 02-14-22, 01:15 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
double LPLO....wut
Old 02-14-22, 01:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

That's weird. Previous page shows that there are TWO pages I was locked out of. But really there is only one, along with apparently a "phantom" page.
Old 02-14-22, 01:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Mine too. Apparently the hospital took newborn pics back in 1965 in B&W. I think my folks still have that pic.
I am on may parents' dining room table. Family doctor made a house call to examine me a day or two after I was brought home. I have an 8"x10" print of it at home that I know I scanned. Just have to find it.

We saw Dr. Whitney for many years. He had a practice in an office below his house on Walnut around 58th.
Old 02-14-22, 01:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Consider yourself lucky. For me, it was acts like RUN-DMC, which I saw live during my college years.
I will admit to being quite old and/or outta touch. The last Rap song I really liked was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjeWGQ175g
The real good old days.
Old 02-14-22, 01:21 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Did a FulGaz ride this morning in Virginia and one of the club riders in the video was riding my bike:

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-14-22, 01:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Incel take.

I always watch them. Memorable shows include Prince arriving at the last minute and performing in the driving rain (no, it wasn't purple) and seeming to enjoy himself.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-14-22, 01:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Full Frontal is certainly in the conversation of the most difficult trainer rides that I've ever done. That said, I think that it was really worthwhile as a baseline and I'd definitely do it again if I were to re-up with Sufferfest/System.
Yeah, that's the thing. I'm undecided on that, because I'm not sure what my goals are in cycling. I want to be able to faster for longer, and climb better, but that's pretty vague. I'm not going to race IRL, and outside of a few crits and even fewer longer races, I'm not looking to become an eSports champion. I have largely accepted that among serious cyclists I am somewhere below mediocre.

I do think structured workouts, and more structured training is probably more beneficial than just more "Modified Merckx". I just need a better understanding of which ones will most benefit my weaknesses.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 02-14-22 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-14-22, 01:26 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
A friend of mine used to say that if your baby pictures are in color, you can’t claim to be old.
That’s a good one. I’ve got teenage pictures in B&W too.
Old 02-14-22, 01:28 PM
WhyFi

I think the aero frame and wheels might make a difference in the sprint in a crit, as well as when attacking for strategic/psychological reasons, but yeah - it shouldn't make much difference in a bunch. It's almost talismanic, though, for me. I choose a different bike for different rides, even though I'm not really paying attention to time or setting PRs, just because I can.
Again - it's relative. I'm sure that one could do the math on the savings when sticking your nose in the wind for 15-60 seconds (it looks like the gap between the Buffalo bike [worst] and SWorks Venge [best] would be about 30sec for an hour on the flats) - my take is that it wouldn't matter 99 times out of a 100, but it would be worth it for that 1 time, specially since you're buying it with free money, anyway. But yeah, I feel ya on the suiting up aspect.
Old 02-14-22, 01:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I am on may parents' dining room table. Family doctor made a house call to examine me a day or two after I was brought home. I have an 8"x10" print of it at home that I know I scanned. Just have to find it.

We saw Dr. Whitney for many years. He had a practice in an office below his house on Walnut around 58th.
I am the last of 6 children. There are TONS of pictures of my oldest brother, and fewer of each of the following siblings, till you get to the sister who's just ahead of me, because after 4 kids in 5 years, there was a 6 year lull in the action before she was born, so they took lots of pics of her. Me? I have to search through the Picture Box (my family was never big on putting pictures in albums) to find any of myself as a ute.

We ended up doing something similar with The Boys. The Older Boy, my wife actually recorded HOURS of video of him doing the most mundane baby things. The Younger Boy - almost no video. But tons of pics.

Old 02-14-22, 01:33 PM
WhyFi

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm undecided on that, because I'm not sure what my goals are in cycling. I want to be able to faster for longer, and climb better, but that's pretty vague. I'm not going to race IRL, and outside of a few crits and even fewer longer races, I'm not looking to become and eSports champion. I have largely accepted that among serious cyclists I am somewhere below mediocre.

I do think structured workouts, and more structured training is probably more beneficial than just more "Modified Merckx". I just need a better understanding of which ones will most benefit my weaknesses.
Yeah, and there's the question of whether you want to concentrate on shoring up your weaknesses or whether you want to bolster your strengths. So many ways to skin a cat ride a bike.
Old 02-14-22, 01:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If I laid $1 million on your table, you'd give up that 30 minutes of your life. Even if there was a quiz at the end.
It was only 14 minutes.
Old 02-14-22, 01:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, and there's the question of whether you want to concentrate on shoring up your weaknesses or whether you want to bolster your strengths. So many ways to skin a cat ride a bike.
And that's the great thing! I was listening to something on the radio today about personality, including intro- vs extroversion, and I thought about how great it is that I can do my solitary rides to my heart's content and not mind riding alone, while more sociable folks, can do group rides, and we're all having a blast in our own ways. Similarly, you can be a racer and constantly competing against others, or you can just compete against yourself, or you can go out for a dawdle when the wildflowers are blooming just for grins.

Old 02-14-22, 01:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
It's not so much that they COULDN'T pay you to watch. I imagine it's more that nobody WOULD pay you to watch. I know I'd take the million and sit in rapt attention the whole time. But nobody is offering.

Old 02-14-22, 01:42 PM
WhyFi

And that's the great thing! I was listening to something on the radio today about personality, including intro- vs extroversion, and I thought about how great it is that I can do my solitary rides to my heart's content and not mind riding alone, while more sociable folks, can do group rides, and we're all having a blast in our own ways. Similarly, you can be a racer and constantly competing against others, or you can just compete against yourself, or you can go out for a dawdle when the wildflowers are blooming just for grins.
Yup. And you can change your mind any time you want. In 2020, I was all about solo long distance. In 2021, I really wanted to bury my teammates in the sprints.
Old 02-14-22, 01:42 PM
indyfabz

I will admit to being quite old and/or outta touch. The last Rap song I really liked was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjeWGQ175g
Considered my many to be the one of the best rap songs ever.

"Stabbed that man right in his heart...."

Several years ago, the group member know as Kidd Creole (the short guy in the photo, real name Nathaniel Glover) was charged with murder after he stabbed a homeless man to death during an altercation. Glover is not to be confused with August Darnell, front man of Kid Creole & the Coconuts.
Old 02-14-22, 01:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yup. And you can change your mind any time you want. In 2020, I was all about solo long distance. In 2021, I really wanted to bury my teammates in the sprints.
I have noticed that years of riding on my own have made me a lousy ride leader for group rides, though. Half the time I look around and they're 100 yards behind, and the other half they're right on my wheel. Let's just say I don't tend to set a stable pace.

Old 02-14-22, 01:55 PM
WhyFi

I have noticed that years of riding on my own have made me a lousy ride leader for group rides, though. Half the time I look around and they're 100 yards behind, and the other half they're right on my wheel. Let's just say I don't tend to set a stable pace.
Oh, 'been there. I've had to do quite a bit of apologizing when joining group rides after thousands of miles of solo riding. Sometimes it's pace, sometimes it's line, sometimes it's neglecting to call out a hazard, etc.
Old 02-14-22, 01:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Considered my many to be the one of the best rap songs ever.

"Stabbed that man right in his heart...."

Several years ago, the group member know as Kidd Creole (the short guy in the photo, real name Nathaniel Glover) was charged with murder after he stabbed a homeless man to death during an altercation. Glover is not to be confused with August Darnell, front man of Kid Creole & the Coconuts.
I recall seeing Kid Creole and the Coconuts on SNL in high school, maybe 1980??
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-14-22, 02:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Oh, 'been there. I've had to do quite a bit of apologizing when joining group rides after thousands of miles of solo riding. Sometimes it's pace, sometimes it's line, sometimes it's neglecting to call out a hazard, etc.
Since I am a pothole and rock magnet, the best thing for anyone following me is to ride a line 6" or so to either side of mine. Seriously! Yesterday, TWICE I was just riding along and *WHAM!* I hit the only pothole on that stretch of road. I was surprised I didn't flat.

Old 02-14-22, 02:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Better than 5/6. WAY better than 6/6.
Wordle 240 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Old 02-14-22, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

I recall seeing Kid Creole and the Coconuts on SNL in high school, maybe 1980??
Classic 80s look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.