Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Multiple bikes on Garmin Edge

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 01:24 PM
skallal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Garmin Edge 510 that's nearing the end of life. It has a feature missing in newer models, that is separate bike profiles. With the newer models, you have to use activity profiles instead. But it's not the same. There's no way to track the total miles on each bike. I've read there's a way to track total miles by activity. But if the bike already 1000 miles, there no way to enter that value. The miles by activity will start at zero. I have several bikes each with miles previously ridden and no way to enter them into a new Garmin Edge device.

Also looking at Wahoo Elemnt as an alternative. But I can't find any multiple bike support there either.

The only workaround I've found is by uploading each activity to Strava. But this shouldn't be necessary.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Steve
Old 04-14-22, 01:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Since many of us use the same device for multiple bikes, it's just easier to let RideWithGPS, Strava, MapMyRide or what ever you use to view your ride data, track your bike mileage as well as any other thing you wish to track.

Back before those sites started tracking those things so well, which was back in the days of your Edge 510 and maybe prior with the more expensive Edges, the devices did give you some relief for different bikes. But if you ever frequented the Garmin Forums and saw all the users that figured out how to do it wrong with the devices that let them have different bikes, then I can see where Garmin and others might be happy to let bike tracking be a part of their past.

All I can say is embrace the new and quit holding on to things of the by-gone times.

Welcome to BF!
Old 04-14-22, 02:26 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
In Garmin Connect, you can enter multiple bikes as "gear". Just select the bike you were on for that ride, and it'll track it's usage. It shouldn't matter what Garmin device, the "gear" is associated with your Garmin Connect account.

Dunno if that fixes all your problems, but maybe that can help you figure something out.
Old 04-14-22, 02:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I use RWGPS as well as for my activity tracker, which allows gear to be logged, I edit the completed rides there to have a particular bike use, that way I have a record of mileage per bike. But, there's no way I know of to enter existing mileage except as a note in the first data entry.

Garmin Connect does track which type of activity (from the newer devices) was recorded, but it's very limited to Road, Mountain, etc.... Not sure how useful that is to you.
Old 04-14-22, 04:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by skallal
I have a Garmin Edge 510 that's nearing the end of life. It has a feature missing in newer models, that is separate bike profiles. With the newer models, you have to use activity profiles instead. But it's not the same. There's no way to track the total miles on each bike. I've read there's a way to track total miles by activity. But if the bike already 1000 miles, there no way to enter that value. The miles by activity will start at zero. I have several bikes each with miles previously ridden and no way to enter them into a new Garmin Edge device.

Also looking at Wahoo Elemnt as an alternative. But I can't find any multiple bike support there either.

The only workaround I've found is by uploading each activity to Strava. But this shouldn't be necessary.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Steve
​​​​​​The two bold statements are incorrect:

The way to track miles per bike is with the gear function. You do this in Garmin Connect, the app or website, not directly in the device. You can make the odometer start at any number you like by adding a manual, historical ride activity, set the distance to whatever you want the odometer to start at.

Maybe there's a very old 510 in a store somewhere, maybe there's another device in the world that copied this discontinued feature, but I wouldn't count on either.
Old 04-14-22, 07:33 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
As mentioned above use the gear function in Connect. I have one bike gear for bicycles that I check for all my riding for a total except the trainer. One for trainer and others for each bike so I know how far I’ve ridden each. After a ride I just check what I need while rating or sharing.
Old 04-15-22, 05:36 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​The two bold statements are incorrect:

The way to track miles per bike is with the gear function. You do this in Garmin Connect, the app or website, not directly in the device. You can make the odometer start at any number you like by adding a manual, historical ride activity, set the distance to whatever you want the odometer to start at.

Maybe there's a very old 510 in a store somewhere, maybe there's another device in the world that copied this discontinued feature, but I wouldn't count on either.
Clever! And I imagine you can set the date to be some time in the past so it doesn't affect any recent stats.
Likes For gpburdell: