Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

The best headlights under $50 thread

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

The best headlights under $50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 11:31 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As of this date. I just found the Planet Bike Superflash for $11 here. https://stores.ebay.com/Abaxo_Lights_...34Q2ec0Q2em322
I just paid $29 for it at my LBS. Which happens to be a Performance store. Next time.

Last edited by scoatw; 04-16-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-16-10, 01:17 PM
P4D 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scoatw
As of this date. I just found the Planet Bike Superflash for $11 here. https://stores.ebay.com/Abaxo_Lights_...34Q2ec0Q2em322
Having just received a package from Abaxo with a PBSF Stealth, I can say shipping was prompt on payment, all shipping offers and terms were honored, everything arrived in a USPS priority mail envelope, and the packing was not very good but nothing was damaged (just some box corners slightly dented in). I was perfectly pleased with the overall transaction, and prices, and unless I ordered something very fragile I wouldn't hesitate to order again.
Old 04-16-10, 01:24 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As of this date. I just found the Planet Bike Superflash for $11 here. https://stores.ebay.com/Abaxo_Lights_...34Q2ec0Q2em322... I just paid $29 for it at my LBS. Which happens to be a Performance store. Next time.
Buy it now: $10.87
Shipping: $13.83
Total: $24.70

... not such a great deal. You can find it online at reputable dealers for about $19. And if you want, print out the page of one of those dealers and take it to Performance Bike, and they'll pricematch it. So you can get it for $19+tax with no shipping, and have it today.
Old 04-16-10, 02:06 PM
wrafl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered one PBSF from Abaxo also but paid $21.85 with free shipping. Should be here as early as tomorrow. I could get most of my cycling stuff from local stores such as REI or Performance but then the sales tax is a killer at 10%. Shopping on e bay is like going into a virtual flea market and I'm satisfied with all my online purchases. Saves also on gas by not driving to the
store and fighting traffic.
Old 04-18-10, 04:11 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't even think of looking at the shipping price of them. I had my eye on a set of brakes in which they offered free shipping and assumed it was free shipping for everything. My mistake........they still have nice components at good prices.
Old 05-03-10, 01:54 PM
riderInTheDark

Bikes: Gary Fisher Suger 2+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexw
Ok, I read this thread twice and my head is spinning with so many options. I'm looking for a light, a set really for head and tail, for early AM riding... I have a ton of Ni-MH rechargables in AA and AAA, but no Li ion. I don't have any mounts, so I need those two, and would like to keep everything around the $60 range, but care about safety and function and so an somewhat flexible (but not Dionette flexible).

I think the Blackburn Mars 4.0 seems like a good way to go for the tail, but I haven't been able to figure out what to do up front. Please help, because I can't figure out all the choices from this thread.

Thanks in advance!!

***EDIT
I realized I left off the part about not wanting an external battery pack...I am hoping to have the lights mounted on the bike and self-contained with rechargeables.
I was facing a similar issue and in the end decided to go for the Uniquefire S10 Cree R2-WC 6-Mode 220-Lumen. I like the idea it is using a single AA (I use GP 2300 NiMH 2300mAh) and no battery pack because I have plenty of those. As I already have a handlebar LED I wanted something I could mount on my helmet. After some time of failing to find something suitable for me, I thought I should craft something myself that would be cheap, practical and sturdy.

If you would like to see what I came up with, try here.

I thought I would add this photo just to give you an idea

Let me know if you decided to make your own. It is easy and fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LED_attachment_ei&#.jpg (81.4 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by riderInTheDark; 05-29-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 07:36 AM
that-guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inova is made in USA as well. None of the others mentioned in this thread are. I've had one of their lights for years and now that I'm ready for an upgrade, I'll go with them.

Originally Posted by wyeast
humb:

The Inova Bolt 2AA / Beamer5 combo has run on my wife's bike daily for around two years without fail, so I have no problem recommending it. Others can chime in with other lights they've used (I have no experience with any other than the Inova on bike duty) - I often see Fenix coming up, but they're close (or over) $50 usually. Like I said, I'm trying a new Coleman light this weekend, so I'll be able to see at least if it flickers or something bad when on a bike.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-11-10, 12:55 PM
darkadious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shiningbeam has a relatively new rc-n3 up for sale https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...h-N3-II/Detail

for a dollar more than the Q5 you get a tad bit of a brighter light with a slight green tint.

though i wouldn't say it's a *better* bike light than the 2-mode Q5, since it does have a very white tint which i think would be more noticeable making the output difference between the lights negligible.
Old 05-20-10, 11:24 PM
Ridire123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkadious
shiningbeam has a relatively new rc-n3 up for sale https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...h-N3-II/Detail

for a dollar more than the Q5 you get a tad bit of a brighter light with a slight green tint.

though i wouldn't say it's a *better* bike light than the 2-mode Q5, since it does have a very white tint which i think would be more noticeable making the output difference between the lights negligible.
Would this RC-N3 make for a decent "see" light? I'm looking for something that will be easy to transfer between bikes, but still allow me to see on unlit trails. One of these flashlights from shiningbeam seems like the best option, but I'm rather overwhelmed by all the choices.
Old 05-23-10, 03:40 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The choices for affordable, efficient lighting just keeps getting better. When I started the commuting thing, the Fenix was the way to go. Now I can get a light almost as good as the Fenix for less than $15.
My latest purchase....https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30986

Great little light.
Old 06-04-10, 05:23 PM
darkadious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's a pretty decent seeing light.

i was following a friend riding mt wilson with my headlights off and soley relying on the rc-n3 (though the moon was pretty bright that day). he reached about 45 on the descents.

i wouldn't call it amazing, but it sure is better than a lot of the lights i encounter people using.
Old 06-04-10, 07:21 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
The choices for affordable, efficient lighting just keeps getting better. When I started the commuting thing, the Fenix was the way to go. Now I can get a light almost as good as the Fenix for less than $15.
My latest purchase....https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30986

Great little light.
However, 50 minutes of run time is a bit skinny, imo. I need something that runs longer.
Old 06-16-10, 04:58 PM
scoatw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've had an RC-N3 for 3 years now and I can say that its a "perfect" light to been seen and to see with. It lights up the road in front of you to see chuckholes and debris. I use it all winter and have'nt had any problems with it up to now. I'm getting the new one for a back-up. For under $50 you can't beat this light. I get about 2.5 hrs on Ray-O-Vac Hybrid rechargeable batteries. Which ends up being about three days worth of morning commuting for me. I haven't had to buy batteries for over two years now. I stay away from DealExtreme cause they're in Hong Kong. To much hassle with shipping. Shiningbeam is in NYC. Better Customer quality.
Old 06-26-10, 04:12 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've had an RC-N3 for 3 years now and I can say that its a "perfect" light to been seen and to see with. It lights up the road in front of you to see chuckholes and debris. I use it all winter and have'nt had any problems with it up to now. I'm getting the new one for a back-up. For under $50 you can't beat this light. I get about 2.5 hrs on Ray-O-Vac Hybrid rechargeable batteries. Which ends up being about three days worth of morning commuting for me. I haven't had to buy batteries for over two years now. I stay away from DealExtreme cause they're in Hong Kong. To much hassle with shipping. Shiningbeam is in NYC. Better Customer quality.
Happy customer, are ya? That's good to know, because I almost started a thread inquiring about the Rominsen brand. And which one ("new model") are you referring to?
Old 06-27-10, 01:32 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no1mad
Happy customer, are ya? That's good to know, because I almost started a thread inquiring about the Rominsen brand. And which one ("new model") are you referring to?
If you get a Rominsen make sure to buy it from Shining Beam and not DX. Shining Beam actually has quality control, and excellent customer service. DX is a crap shoot.
Old 06-27-10, 11:57 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
If you get a Rominsen make sure to buy it from Shining Beam and not DX. Shining Beam actually has quality control, and excellent customer service. DX is a crap shoot.
Actually, I was already considering buying from Shining Beam. Also looked at Geoman and 4sevens. Shining Beam has the most attractive prices, as far as a domestic source for what I'm wanting- small, bright, inexpensive LED flashlight(s) that can be used for riding a bike at night.

I know that a bunch of what those three vendors offer can be had cheaper at DX. It's just that I prefer as much of my $ as possible to stay in domestic hands...
Old 06-27-10, 02:31 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, I was already considering buying from Shining Beam. Also looked at Geoman and 4sevens. Shining Beam has the most attractive prices, as far as a domestic source for what I'm wanting- small, bright, inexpensive LED flashlight(s) that can be used for riding a bike at night.

I know that a bunch of what those three vendors offer can be had cheaper at DX. It's just that I prefer as much of my $ as possible to stay in domestic hands...
I'm actually outside of North America and still find SB a much better value than DX. I'm also pleased with the one 47's light that I have and would certainly consider them.
Old 07-28-10, 02:04 PM
scoatw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
And which one ("new model") are you referring to?
The "new" RC-N3 . The old model had 110 lumens. The newer model is 220 lumens. Plus,
it has a blinking mode that the old one didn't have. All for the same price.
Old 07-28-10, 02:11 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "new" RC-N3 . The old model had 110 lumens. The newer model is 220 lumens. Plus,
it has a blinking mode that the old one didn't have. All for the same price.
I believe the new(er) model has 2 modes, Hi & Medium. Not sure about ANY blinking mode, could be wrong though
Old 07-28-10, 02:20 PM
williaty

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've got the Romisen RC-N3 II R4 (the current model). No blinking mode. High and medium are so close together as to be useless. Nowhere near 220 lumens. My Fenix LD20+, which is supposed to be 205 lumens, is considerably brighter than the RC-N3.
Old 08-01-10, 11:09 AM
scoatw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yea but you have to admit. For 24 bucks. The Romissen is a heckuva good deal. The LD20 being an excellent light is over the $50 limit that this thread is all about. And if I had to replace the Romissen, which I've had thru 3 winters now, I'd still go with the RC-N3 because like me, they're cheap.
Old 08-10-10, 04:52 AM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came in to ask about the Blackburn Flea light from performance:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400014_400158

I have(had) the MTE light from DX worked awesome for the 3 months I had it. Now it wont turn on. And DX's tech support has the suck. But I might have to give this little guy a chance, Romisen RC-N3 II
Old 08-10-10, 11:28 PM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one?
Old 08-11-10, 10:18 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Well - it say it specs out at 40 lumen - not exactly a true head light.

If we just talk lights - get this and buy your choice of cheap or super battery and charger.
Old 08-11-10, 03:41 PM
trx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUssR7eXG4
or even this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edikfIC-RJU
or why not this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2uN5...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.